Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 7:45:15 PM EDT
Off grid house

This place is awesome! I have been in it.  I would buy it, but already have one that is only about 15-20 miles away.  It is close to town (about 5 miles), but up on small mountain top (we call it a knob) and is "one way in, one way out" and TOTALLY self sufficient (water and electricity).  Friend of mine is selling to move closer to grandkids.  A great man! I would have tough time with that decision.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
That would make a nice getaway cottage.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
That would go for double that up here.

Any mental health hospitals close?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would go for double that up here.

Any mental health hospitals close?
View Quote
You need an outpatient facility?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link sent to a friend looking for that very thing in TN.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
$200k?!?! For 8 acres around here plus the structure you would have to double the cost, if not triple it
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]
A little insight into this area in general.

To guys moving here from the north this place may seem wonderful, yes it was, that time has passed.

The population growth in this area of TN is exploding, with no signs of slowing.

This is my backyard there isn't a road I haven't been on, mostly motorcycles.

The area around Johnson City (50 mile radius) has gotten so crowded in the last 5 years I avoid it now.

The Southern Appalachians the home of my forefathers, my home, is totally fucked.

I know you guys can't/won't see it, but trust me, what you're looking for here is gone.

I count myself fortunate that I got to grow up in and spend much of my life here in the tranquility of Southern Appalachia, but those days are over.

It's all perspective I know, I've experienced this area as it was so I can clearly see what it is no longer.

I know you guys won't have any idea what I'm talking about but if you move here and as the place continues to explode you will.

I'm in the preliminary stages of assessing a potential move out of the area, so that should free up a few spots for y'all.

You know how you guys finally had enough and made the decision to get out of your shit areas to move here. Well I now know how you feel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of the local born don't have options like me and my wife. So don't use my example as an indication there'll be a mass exodus of locals freeing up space.

They're not going anywhere, and they're pissed.

Meh, you've got us outnumbered 10:1 at this point so I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate your thoughts and missing the "good ole' days", but you are right.......... it is a matter of perspective.  I came to this area as a travel nurse, fell in love with the mountains and stayed. Coming from GA, where the state income tax, car tags, and other taxes are outrageous, this beautiful area and state were a dream come true.  Seventeen years later, I still feel the same way.  The people are friendly and genuine and there is enough to do here, without the traffic that comes with bigger cities.  We all have our own ideas of Nirvana, I hope you find yours.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a few MH facilities. There are two hospital systems, a medical school, and a VA hospital (which was rated as #10 in the country a few years ago, and is still great).
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Off grid house

This place is awesome! I have been in it.  I would buy it, but already have one that is only about 15-20 miles away.  It is close to town (about 5 miles), but up on small mountain top (we call it a knob) and is "one way in, one way out" and TOTALLY self sufficient (water and electricity).  Friend of mine is selling to move closer to grandkids.  A great man! I would have tough time with that decision.
View Quote
I remember someone posting this place for sale here a couple years.  Used the same pics, maybe even the same ad?

Did the place not sell last time and it's still for sale or has it already been sold and now selling again?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#11]
The guy selling it, is the one that built it and has lived in it the entire time.  He is my accountant, I don't remember him ever putting it up for sale.  But his wife did retire a couple years ago and might have tested the market then????  I think the only reason he has not sold it yet is b/c the banks don't want to finance it b/c there is nothing comparable, so no "comps" in the area.  It is completely "off grid" capable and did not even have an address until a few years ago, I think.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I appreciate your thoughts and missing the "good ole' days", but you are right.......... it is a matter of perspective.  I came to this area as a travel nurse, fell in love with the mountains and stayed. Coming from GA, where the state income tax, car tags, and other taxes are outrageous, this beautiful area and state were a dream come true.  Seventeen years later, I still feel the same way.  The people are friendly and genuine and there is enough to do here, without the traffic that comes with bigger cities.  We all have our own ideas of Nirvana, I hope you find yours.
View Quote
Just as soon as you find it, you can expect the suburban HOA ant-people to show up soon after and pave, subdivide and ruin everything.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you've been here seventeen years then you should have some perspective on what I've described.

The population growth from transplants is a problem, the viable real estate  for housing and roads doesn't exist.

Considering the vast majority of the population here now are northern transplants I'd have to disagree about the friendliness and genuinality of the people. Seventeen years ago yes I could see that, but not now.

Yes the slopes, mountain tops, national and state forests, are of course still beautiful. But a soon as you're between those areas it's congested and over crowded, everyone is funneled in between all the geography.

This area is not country or rural anymore, is suburban sprawled amongst the mountains, within 15-20 years it will be borderline urban.

As I've said the Southern Appalachians are ruined, if you move here you'll eventually realize this to be true.

If someone had described to me 20 years ago what this place has become I would have said they were insane.

Nothing good ever lasts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Neat place.  Does it come with the tractor?  
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I am sure he is negotiable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
The fella that built it for him was an "old" man that could outwork a bunch of young guys know as the legendary Tenn Andy. We watched him  build this on the edge of that mountain vicariously via pictures a few years ago on another forum. The man is a legend!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#17]
We used to go 4wheeling at Cash Hollow

That is way too close to the ghetto
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure are a lot of arfcomers from JC. Looks like we have this end of the state locked down from Zombie Apocalypse, ANTIFA, Hillary...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top