Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 7:52:07 PM EDT
I know this forum is dedicated to zombies, but in a similar vein, I'm more concerned about murderous robots! Autonomous and remotely piloted. Is anyone with me here?

DARPA videos and all of this talk about A.I. possibly getting out of control have me thinking. What if I ever have to take one of these things out? If I had to use a firearm, would my arsenal of 22lr, 9mm, 5.56 and 12ga weapons have enough punch to defeat whatever armor these killer robots will be outfitted with? This may be the justification I need to branch out into 308WIN.

What do you folks think about the robot situation? Heck someday we may just have to go to war with the robots because dey took ar jerbs!

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Since we dont live in tv land, armour won't be tank level on humanoid size body....the only ai issue would be if "sentient" ai launches misslies, other than that have you ever seen sophisticated machinery that ever functioned for very long without maintenance?
That being said, still cool as shit scenario to spitball about
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Firehoses?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Did somebody say robot war???  

I'm IN!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not worried

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Since we dont live in tv land, armour won't be tank level on humanoid size body....the only ai issue would be if "sentient" ai launches misslies, other than that have you ever seen sophisticated machinery that ever functioned for very long without maintenance?

View Quote
Yeah I agree, it's interesting to mull over.

With the proliferation of AR15 ownership lately, I think robot invaders would at least be armored well enough to defeat 5.56 fire. That's why I'm wondering about the effectiveness of larger calibers.

The technology is in its infant stages now, but 20-50 years down the line I think A.I. controlled robotics could be formitable. And the concerns of the likes of Elon Musk and others about the risks of A.I. getting out of control should be concerning.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

With the proliferation of AR15 ownership lately, I think robot invaders would at least be armored well enough to defeat 5.56 fire. That's why I'm wondering about the effectiveness of larger calibers.

The technology is in its infant stages now, but 20-50 years down the line I think A.I. controlled robotics could be formitable. And the concerns of the likes of Elon Musk and others about the risks of A.I. getting out of control should be concerning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even 308 won't penetrate level4 armour....highly doubtful robots will get tank armour on a "terminator" type robot....besides plenty of armour piercing bullets in the 5.56 available to mil today....
308 is prob a good caliber to get into, but not from a robot apocalypse standpoint....if ur worried about armour go 338 lapua or 50bmg
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#8]
they won' be humanoid think ,more johnny 5

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Liquid Metal and we're screwed!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
@ kopterdoctor
Tactical robots being manufactured to chase down and contain humans, maybe you need to start worrying..... maybe you're just not well informed, Elon Musk, Bill Gates and Stephan Hawking are worried about it! AI..... dangerous stuff there.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLqM7TJX4BE[/youtube]

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The weakest thing will always be the optical sensors. I always found it odd that in all the Terminator shows, no one ever targeted the eyes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think your 20-50 year estimate is way off...let's be honest here, do you think DARPA is going to announce to the general public, the advances they have made in robotics?  Probably not.  You can see some of the shit coming out of some these universities:  Cheetah, just an example.

Also consider the huge advancements made in drones, quad copters, etc...in just the last 3 years.  

Skynet will go live soon enough.  

Then again, if Ray Kurzweil has his way, we'll all be cyborgs any damn way.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Just wait until the institute starts replacing people with synths.

Until that happens, I'm not gonna get too worked up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#14]
What's another possible step?  Combine Google Glass and smartphones, but make it a direct brain implant. Then the kids will be wanting the newest most powerful versions, until half their brains are wired up and they live between the physical and virtual worlds...reality blurs and then either an AI or the current FBHO feeds them some skewed reality, they become mindless minions because they can't tell the difference.  

Scared yet?
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's another possible step?  Combine Google Glass and smartphones, but make it a direct brain implant. Then the kids will be wanting the newest most powerful versions, until half their brains are wired up and they live between the physical and virtual worlds...reality blurs and then either an AI or the current FBHO feeds them some skewed reality, they become mindless minions because they can't tell the difference.  

Scared yet?
View Quote

We are Borg. Resistance is Futile.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The weakest thing will always be the optical sensors. I always found it odd that in all the Terminator shows, no one ever targeted the eyes.
View Quote

I always wondered about that. In the movies all anyone does is spray Arnold with small-caliber bullets. Even in zombie movies the shooters figure out they have to aim for the head. If you could lay hands on a terminator blueprint you could plot the weak points in the armor and target them with 30-06 AP rounds. 'Course nobody in the movies can shoot for shit unless they wear a cowboy hat.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Wouldn't work with the Liquid Terminator. They appear to have zero solid mass mechanicals to destroy
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wouldn't work with the Liquid Terminator. They appear to have zero solid mass mechanicals to destroy
View Quote

That bloop gun slowed 'em down though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll just leave this Here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BdQcJ2ZYY

Edit: my hotlink fails. Google youtube, conchords, the humans are dead to see the funny.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.[1]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#22]
"Please put down your weapon. You have twenty seconds to comply"

"Four... three... two... one... I am now authorized to use physical force!"
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Real A.I. is still a good ways off. However the tech capable of enough computing power, isn't far off, it's right around the corner. But computing power doesn't equal A.I. I find it very interesting though that raw processing power will soon rival that of the human brain, and then quickly jump from there. The neat thing here is simulations are about to make a leap, can't wait to see how it effects fluid dynamics.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't worry about human sized robots.  I would worry about the fly sized ones that will swarm you and burrow into your brain from your ears.  Or nanobots drooped on you in the rain or drinking water that can kill you instantly.  

Or even just the random flying drone that will implode your melon from 100 feet up like an ace sniper in the clouds.

Technology is scarybas hell once you remove ethics and human feelings from the design as a weapons platform.

And if forced into a scenario where we are fighting human type robots.  Assume that these things will have one of those microwave based riot control things the army has now that makes your brain feel like it is melting.  They would just have that thing on 24/7 and would be impossible to be even near one of these robots. Let alone fight a squad of them.

EMP would be only defense. Assuming they are not emp shielded or resistant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top