Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a story that has been done over and over.  TWD explores life after the event, which was new and different.  

Always liked the vagueness of the initial outbreak...we got to imagine it based on what was left behind.  But someone decided we would trip over our own mothers to hand them money to see this new show so.....meh.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Watched it, thought it was OK, going to take a while to grow on me, I am confident they will ratchet it up some
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The lead Kurd in Three Kings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The most entertaining part was figuring out the mom was the short haired chick that Kevin Bacon popped a tit out of her sweater in Hollow Man and the dad was Smiley from the gang house in Training Day.

and pablo escobar in Blow

which cracks me up since the actor is a maori from New Zealand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The most entertaining part was figuring out the mom was the short haired chick that Kevin Bacon popped a tit out of her sweater in Hollow Man and the dad was Smiley from the gang house in Training Day.

Soccer moms can't tell the difference.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Watching the first episode now. I thought Barack Zero was a zombie around the 1 hour mark.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
poor little junkie, i'm so sorry you're having a rough detox...no i'm not, i just wish he'd die
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
So far, the primary reaction I'm having to this show is "Fuck California."
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#8]
"So far, the primary reaction I'm having to this show is "Fuck California.""

thats been my opinion of those people since i learned about politics decades ago. but i like any decent zombie show.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate anything Cali but am willing to give the show time to develop.  It would have been nice for a different backdrop, but we are stuck with Cali.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My review is up:

http://couchpotatoprepper.blogspot.com/2015/08/preparedness-review-of-fear-walking_31.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I just started episode 2, I know  heard this somewhere before but I'm sure it will apply here. Car 13, where are you?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#12]
My prediction is that Fear the Walking Dead will end up being AWESOME.  I know it is starting slow but...

• Consider the shows AMC has put forth so far:  Mad Men, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Turn, Better Call Saul, and Hell on Wheels.  They don't do duds.

• Why would The Walking Dead producers sign on to do crap?

• The Walking Dead has a loyal following comfortable with the level of mayhem in that show but many viewers clamor for MORE.  This spin-off is the producers' chance to show more grit and violence, which many fans ask for, without risking the mainstream audience that pays the bills via The Walking Dead.

• I just don't see AMC and The Walking Dead producers risking their futures sending out a dud.  I think this will end up being ground-breaking.  Most of the stuff AMC has offered has been ground-breaking.  No reason to think this won't take things to another level.
    Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:52:00 PM EDT
    [#13]
    Quoted:
    In the other thread about a companion series I mentioned how neat it would be to show other areas, such as St. Paul or Minneapolis, MN?  Imagine trying survive not only the walkers, but also a really harsh winter?  Walkers in deep snow?  Walkers under deep snow?
    View Quote

Or what it would be like in Fairbanks AK when the heat and power finally go out in the winter and folks are barely surviving. I really fear natural disaster caused power and heat outages up here -50F is unforgiving.
    Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:56:17 PM EDT
    [#14]
    Quoted:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3743822/

Fear the Walking Dead (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt3743822
    Drama/Horror ·
    60 min

What did the world look like as it was transforming into the horrifying apocalypse depicted in "The Walking Dead"? This spin-off set in Los Angeles, following new ...
    View Quote

I better not see any cars made after 2010 since this is supposed to be the beginning of the whole thing. Then again they were driving around a 2012 santa fe in the walking dead when it was supposed to be 2010. so who knows.
    Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:59:54 PM EDT
    [#15]
    Quoted:
    So far, the primary reaction I'm having to this show is "Fuck California."
    View Quote

+1 this. its exactly what I told a buddy before checking out this thread. Both of us were born there and both of us routinely say "fuk that place extra hard"
    Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:54:14 AM EDT
    [#16]
    Can hollywood use hicap magazines?
    Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:55:19 AM EDT
    [#17]
    Quoted:
    I better not see any cars made after 2010 since this is supposed to be the beginning of the whole thing. Then again they were driving around a 2012 santa fe in the walking dead when it was supposed to be 2010. so who knows.
    View Quote

They never identified what year they exist in.
    Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:59:37 PM EDT
    [#18]
    Bet it gets a lot better and faster paced soon. Can't expect a lot in the build up portion. The chubby "knife kid" is going to be the one to watch. Bet on it.
    Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:59:58 PM EDT
    [#19]
    I received the following from my friend via text message while discussing FTWD:

"I wanna see 'The Walking Dead: Texas'.  It would be three episodes long.  We would all be back at work by Monday."
    Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:51:53 PM EDT
    [#20]
    Quoted:
    My prediction is that Fear the Walking Dead will end up being AWESOME.  I know it is starting slow but...

• Consider the shows AMC has put forth so far:  Mad Men, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Turn, Better Call Saul, and Hell on Wheels.  They don't do duds.

• The Walking Dead has a loyal following comfortable with the level of mayhem in that show but many viewers clamor for MORE.  This spin-off is the producers' chance to show more grit and violence, which many fans ask for, without risking the mainstream audience that pays the bills via The Walking Dead.

• I just don't see AMC and The Walking Dead producers risking their futures sending out a dud.  I think this will end up being ground-breaking.  Most of the stuff AMC has offered has been ground-breaking.  No reason to think this won't take things to another level.
    View Quote

Agreed, ESPECIALLY, since they are not following a comic, a script. They can make it up as they go, fire and hire new writers as it goes. Shoot in a different location, Minnesota, Montana, Detroit, Florida Keys (to simulate like, Hawaii or Costa Rica or something) and give a whole new perspective.
    Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:16:19 AM EDT
    [#21]
    I've enjoyed it so far. I like how the school kid stabbed the zombie principal in the head, and the flimsy kitchen knife was deflected.  The idea that the human skull can be pieced by everything was getting old.

I assume that the drug addicted son is going to be important to the group because he survives outside of society.  My guess is that he knows how to break into places, start small fires, generally living off the grid (California style).  The daughter is smart, so...that should be good.  The Blond Mother and Pablo Escobar will keep the family together.  The Ex Wife is a nurse and appears that she will survive the collapse of the hospitals.  Her son seems like he will be trouble.

Four more episodes, lets see where this heads.
    Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:24:27 AM EDT
    [#22]
    Quoted:

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

am i wrong in thinking the mom is the fancy hooker from Deadwood?
    Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:45:21 AM EDT
    [#23]

Quoted:

am i wrong in thinking the mom is the fancy hooker from Deadwood?
    View Quote

That's her.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:49:36 PM EDT
    [#24]
    I think so far that the fear is too damn sloooow for action. They want you to "fall in love" with the characters before they bring the action. It's crappy at most so far,  IMO.
    If they would have just created a bunch of "webisodes" (check out AMC.com) this would have been a lot cooler.

so far FAIL on the spin off

Hope it gets better!
    Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:21:10 AM EDT
    [#25]
    More thoughts on FTWD Episode 102:

http://couchpotatoprepper.blogspot.com/2015/09/some-more-thoughts-on-fear-walking-dead.html
    Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:57:58 PM EDT
    [#26]
    Hopefully it gets better, im getting bored
    Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:33:26 AM EDT
    [#27]
    Didn't see the mil involvement coming...interesting to see how that plays into the development of things.
    Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:17:05 AM EDT
    [#28]
    God that's fucking painful to watch.

Lets just make it about the Salvadoran immigrants that have some balls and kill off all those whiny ass "you know how I feel about guns" commie pinko junky californians
    Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:54:05 PM EDT
    [#29]
    Quoted:

View Quote

Ya i don't know what people were expecting straight out of the gate. The entire season2 of WD was wrist slitting slow....
    Did everyone just think society would collapse in the 2hr pilot episode ala hollywood style and civilization just end over night with everyone handling zombies straight out of the gate? It's a touch slow but it's nice to see people waking up to reality at different paces instead of instant rambos and docile sheep within the spanof 12 hr or so....
    Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:01:48 PM EDT
    [#30]

Quoted:

God that's fucking painful to watch.

Lets just make it about the Salvadoran immigrants that have some balls and kill off all those whiny ass "you know how I feel about guns" commie pinko junky californians
    View Quote

Those were my thoughts exactly after watching the most recent episode.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:26:23 PM EDT
    [#31]
    Says, "You know how I feel about guns" after finding his neighbor eating a dog in his living room

Fucking Californians.

Then they all become zombies and head east because that's where all the brains are apparently.
    Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:11:53 PM EDT
    [#32]
    Quoted:
    Says, "You know how I feel about guns" after finding his neighbor eating a dog in his living room

Fucking Californians.

Then they all become zombies and head east because that's where all the brains are apparently.
    View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:10:15 PM EDT
    [#33]
    Quoted:

Fucking Californians.

View Quote

LMAO, it was a realistic view of the libtards in our society.....
    Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:27:42 PM EDT
    [#34]
    My review is up:

http://couchpotatoprepper.blogspot.com/2015/09/preparedness-review-of-fear-walking.html
    Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:49:12 PM EDT
    [#35]
    Los Angeles wouldn't be such a bad place to be in the zombie apocalypse.  All the windows and doors are already barred.  Many backyard fences (and everyone has a fence or wall) are topped with nails, broken glass, and barbed wire.  All the preparations people make to prevent robberies before the apocalypse are applicable to zombies.  There's an almost unlimited number of homes to scavenge for supplies, swimming pools full of water, and decent weather.  

These people who's plan is to bug-out to the desert?  I can't hardly think of a worse idea.  They going to sleep in tents in the open?  They'll have no protection, freeze at night, spend the days sweltering, and after 2-3 days in the Mohave  they'll be bugging out again for lack of water.  If they're lucky.  If they ever get there.  10 East is going to be a parking lot.  

I predict they are going to run out of gas, cars will over heat, they'll end up on foot with a huge mass of refugees, starving and dying of thirst, and being devoured from the edges by zombies and other human predators.

Ever see a bait ball being picked apart by dolphins or sharks?

F-that.  Prep to bug IN.

That was the thing about The Road.  When the man and the boy found the bunker, they should have stayed as long as possible.  A couple of months and most of the cannibalistic predators would have killed each other off.  Stupid to choose to leave and try to survive in their world.  

Bug in, lay low, defend your little piece with a volume of fire that makes them go around and avoid you.  Out last them.

Maybe I think too much about this stuff but what happens in the zombie forum stays in the zombie right?

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:05:34 PM EDT
    [#36]
    Show has to be one of the most poorly written shows I've allowed myself to watch in years.
    Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:18:58 AM EDT
    [#37]

Quoted:

Ya i don't know what people were expecting straight out of the gate. The entire season2 of WD was wrist slitting slow....

Did everyone just think society would collapse in the 2hr pilot episode ala hollywood style and civilization just end over night with everyone handling zombies straight out of the gate? It's a touch slow but it's nice to see people waking up to reality at different paces instead of instant rambos and docile sheep within the spanof 12 hr or so....
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:

Quoted:

I gotta agree.  I'm enjoying the "slow burn" approach.  In TWD, Rick (and the viewer) woke up in the hospital to an already collapsed society, zombie apocalypse in full swing.  Things had already passed the tipping point, and had fallen into a sort of "this is how things are now" equilibrium.  

I'm looking forward to seeing what Rick slept through.
    Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:30:13 AM EDT
    [#38]
    I particularly enjoy the "you know how I feel about guns" bs statements. The watcher KNOWS that is a stupid thing to think and say AND that is why it is being said. It's not an anit-gun message from the director etc.
    Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:02:58 PM EDT
    [#39]
    Quoted:
    I particularly enjoy the "you know how I feel about guns" bs statements. The watcher KNOWS that is a stupid thing to think and say AND that is why it is being said. It's not an anit-gun message from the director etc.
    View Quote

Yes, I think it was actually a very pro-gun and pro-common sense statement.  I could almost hear a collective "OMG, seriously" out out of everyone that was watching.  

Something obviously is wrong, you don't what the heck is happening, people are eating each other alive but the only thing that you can think is to hold to your anti-gun beliefs?

Stuff like this, even as simplistic and far-fetched as it is, still gets folks thinking (those that have not completely drunk the kool-aide yet) and wondering "what-if" guns really are just a tool?

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:08:10 AM EDT
    [#40]
    Quoted:
    I particularly enjoy the "you know how I feel about guns" bs statements. The watcher KNOWS that is a stupid thing to think and say AND that is why it is being said. It's not an anti-gun message from the director etc.
    View Quote

When I heard that, I thought "Well, he will either change his mind or be dead."
    Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:36:42 PM EDT
    [#41]
    I watched all three on On Demand.

The show sucks.  The in your face inclusiveness.  I'm suprised that the son (not the junkie one) doesn't have a girlfriend in a wheelchair. No way the army / guard is going to be that many in one neighborhood, even if they showed up at all.  Who would show up is the gangs.  There's no food in the inner city, but plenty of guns and young guys with nothing to lose.  

The lead guy is a moron.  He wants to set up all night with the junkie kid of Joanie (the whore from Deadwood)  in the hospital while his own son goes into meltdown because Daddy doesn love him anymore.  He walks into a crack den?   The dealers that run those places would have robbed and beaten him halt to death.  And on that note, the blondie zombie at the beginning would have had lots of company!

Everyone leaving town?  Our freeways can't handle the normal weekday drives, much less a evacuation.

The series is set in L.A. and some of the outdoor secens are, but it's really filmed in Vancover, Canada.  I was suprised that they left in the shot of Continal Oil with gas at $2.39.
    Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:42:19 PM EDT
    [#42]
    My review is up:

http://couchpotatoprepper.blogspot.com/2015/09/preparedness-review-of-fear-walking_21.html
    Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:39:37 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Kim Dickens bitch slapping the shit out of her junkie kid was awesome....and maybe foreshadowing the new "Rick" of the series, since she and the guetemallan dude are the only ones with balls on the show.
    It's still a bit slow, but i love how the show subtly deconstructs every LIBTARD myth perpetuated by hollywood and MSM.
    Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:54:55 PM EDT
    [#44]
    I'm giving this show some slack for the rather slow start, that's kind of the point of this show; to capture the events around the start of the outbreak. Without the drama and character building it would just be a 2 hour movie: some people are living their life until the balloon goes up, then it's just Walking Dead West Coast. I'm not a big fan of the characters however, but it seems that the junky and ex wife may be permanently gone (unless that ending scene in episode 4 was gunfire from someone else). I really don't like how they hold the National Guard with contempt and portray them as ruthless killers without a conscience. If any occupation/protection force would be sympathetic it would be the NG, as they are fellow members of the community. It seemed like mid way through episode 3 that they were letting out the string pretty fast and then reeled it in with the NG moving in and slowed the timeline down. I would have liked to see more about how it got to this point however. They never showed how these safe havens were constructed. It went from everyone bugging out, but they see their neighbor arrive home and run over to save him. Next thing you know there's NG troops popping up from everywhere, then the very next episode they're all magically safe but never explain what happened and why things are what they are.
    Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:56:54 PM EDT
    [#45]
    I hope they all die and the army kills everyone. Sadly that won't happen.
    Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:04:56 AM EDT
    [#47]

Dude love the reviews!
    Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:59:09 AM EDT
    [#48]
    Quoted:

Dude love the reviews!
    View All Quotes

Thank you sir!  Spread the word!
    Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:37:12 AM EDT
    [#49]
    Quoted:
    Show has to be one of the most poorly written shows I've allowed myself to watch in years.
    View Quote

And acted. Not one character I, or anyone in my house had any interest in.
    Horrible.
    Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:16:53 PM EDT
    [#50]
    My wife got pissed at me when I snickered at the retard putting his eye right up on the scope of a .50 cal rifle, then the Lieutenant doing the same thing 2 seconds later.

Also how did that zombie that received that .50 cal round retain possession of its head?
    Page / 5
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top