Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 1:44:42 AM EDT

In most films or books, "if there is a zombie outbreak, it is usually assumed to affect all areas at the same time, and some months after the outbreak you're left with small pockets of survivors," explains Alemi. "But in our attempt to model zombies somewhat realistically, it doesn't seem like this is how it would actually go down."

Cities would fall quickly, but it would take weeks for zombies to penetrate into less densely populated areas, and months to reach the northern mountain-time zone.

"Given the dynamics of the disease, once the zombies invade more sparsely populated areas, the whole outbreak slows down--there are fewer humans to bite, so you start creating zombies at a slower rate," he elaborates. "I'd love to see a fictional account where most of New York City falls in a day, but upstate New York has a month or so to prepare."

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In most films or books, "if there is a zombie outbreak, it is usually assumed to affect all areas at the same time, and some months after the outbreak you're left with small pockets of survivors," explains Alemi. "But in our attempt to model zombies somewhat realistically, it doesn't seem like this is how it would actually go down."

Cities would fall quickly, but it would take weeks for zombies to penetrate into less densely populated areas, and months to reach the northern mountain-time zone.

"Given the dynamics of the disease, once the zombies invade more sparsely populated areas, the whole outbreak slows down--there are fewer humans to bite, so you start creating zombies at a slower rate," he elaborates. "I'd love to see a fictional account where most of New York City falls in a day, but upstate New York has a month or so to prepare."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-02/aps-zos022715.php

View Quote

Going to the Rockies would present different problems.

I do wish that more than the abstract was available to view though. I'd love to see their model built up more.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Does it also take into account country-folk's love of the 2A and the impact that would have?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Would the Rocky Mountains trump an island within the USA?  

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The mountains would be an absolute bitch in the winter without snow removal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Mountains would present an unsustainable option as you wouldn't be able to grow food well or at all. I think an island as long as it was large enough with fertile soil and fresh water. An island once cleared would still trump mountains. Also if you could hold out long enough wait a bit then go to Hawaii the tropical heat speeds rotting then the crabs n flies n maggots would make short work of the walkers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Another link

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/02/25/cornell-researchers-find-safest-place-to-hide-from-zombies/

I think they're wrong
Ithaca itself would be a great place to hole up at
The Cornell researchers haven't come off East Hill any further than Aurora St for happy hour so I doubt they have any clue about local resources
if nothing else there are a couple of correctional facilities that would give TWD's prison a run for its money
The terrain with its gorges and agricultural capacity give residents a defensible location that can sustain them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
i can see major metropolitan areas going down quickly...beings all packed in on one another...but down here in the south...meh...just another afternoon of target practice..lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true.

An attacker can more easily take a boat and move a large force than they can get through snowed in mountain passes or hell mountain roads that were blocked by a ton of large mature trees and boulders.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The strategy has now been ruined, because people who are infect and haven't shown any signs of infection will head to the northwest, bringing the infection with them.

Also, standard zombie fare requires a person to be bitten or scratched by zombified person.  There's no telling if insects, birds, fish, and other animals can be infected, or become carriers.  Infection of migratory critters is going to have it's own patterns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does it also take into account country-folk's love of the 2A and the impact that would have?
View Quote

"impact".  I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]
i think it would only be a matter of days not weeks or month to hit upstate ny, I live in nyc and like most people if the shit ever hits the fan we all know to leave as fast as possible haha

A lot of people would be hundreds of thousands would be fleeing the city in all directions hundreds of which could be infected and spreading it along the way causing more people to flee their towns or cities and the cycle continues
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i think it would only be a matter of days not weeks or month to hit upstate ny, I live in nyc and like most people if the shit ever hits the fan we all know to leave as fast as possible haha

A lot of people would be hundreds of thousands would be fleeing the city in all directions hundreds of which could be infected and spreading it along the way causing more people to flee their towns or cities and the cycle continues
View Quote

How many people in NYC have ever been further North than Orange County
A ton of people in NYC don't even own cars or have drivers licenses.
I suspect in a mad dash to leave NYC a la the opening scenes of World War Z, most of you wouldn't make it
I also suspect that once the problem is widely known, you Downstate guys wouldn't make it far Upstate or be welcomed in many places
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I suspect in a mad dash to leave NYC a la the opening scenes of World War Z, most of you wouldn't make it
I also suspect that once the problem is widely known, you Downstate guys wouldn't make it far Upstate or be welcomed in many places
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not worried - we're all coming up to stay with you! Dibs on top bunk!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#14]
"Cities would fall quickly, but it would take weeks for zombies to penetrate into less densely populated areas, and months to reach the northern mountain-time zone."

So after a couple days, we'd be the country on Earth and the best our country has ever been? Nice!

If the people flee the cities, where ever they go would just be a bad place for it...
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i can see major metropolitan areas going down quickly...beings all packed in on one another...but down here in the south...meh...just another afternoon of target practice..lol
View Quote

That there's what we call a target rich environment.

Txl
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#16]
That assumption is flawed.   What if the zombies started in 5 cities vs 1.  Then the assumption must be that authorities will have to recognize
How to deal with the problem.  Flat out shooting them in the head will take some time to take hold.  Places like nyc will fall quickly because the people cannot defend themselves for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know how much of an article can be quoted before it becomes an issue?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would not work out well for you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top