Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 5:50:39 PM EDT
We discuss melee weapons here from time to time and i've often wondered whether the bayonet might not be the ticket? You could reserve rounds in your rifle but still have your rifle in hand while fighting. My main concern is whether the ar-15 would stand up to a lot of bayonet fighting? In particular, the collapsible stocks seem a bit light to pull off more than a couple of butstrokes. Anyone here have m-16, ar-15 bayonet training? What do the army/marines have to say about it, (re humans, obviously)?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
AR bayonets are the rough equivalent of a steak knife. A Mosin with a bayonet would work, but I wouldn't trust a modern rifles to be anything more then a very short stop-gap to grabbing a real melee weapon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
an m9 bayonet on a 20 inch rifle gives you some good reach
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Carbine - last ditch effort
20" AR - moderately useful.
Mosin 91/30 - a true, honest to God, medievil weapon made for unseating cavalry

Even older steel and walnut rifles take a beating under bayonet use.  But if you're out of ammo and your only other option is harsh words and unkind gestures, breaking a rifle is the least of your problems.

To my knowledge even in its heyday the bayonet was used as little as possible.  The call to fix bayonets was pretty demoralizing to both sides.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The M9 bayonet is a very solid blade.  I'm not sure about using a carbine though, my training was back in the M16A2 days.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M9 bayonet is a very solid blade.  I'm not sure about using a carbine though, my training was back in the M16A2 days.
View Quote

I remember training with the M7 under a M16A1.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Trust only trench rifles for this kind of work. My Mosin with its normally awkward long barrel would again be an asset.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The M9 is pretty stout, but the older M7, while a fine blade, is definitely not a good bayonet choice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Lobo from WWZ ftw.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#9]
M1A, 20 rd mag, solid rifle w/bayonet.  Would prefer to keep head on straight, and avoid closing in on enough zeds to need to use bayonet.  Distance is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
But, I saw them using knives on The Walking Dead!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]
If I were going to get a bayonet, I'd forget putting it on a rifle and get something long enough to be used as a short sword, such as an SMLE P1907.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
A 1918 style shotgun with a bayonet was a trenchgun that worked. A good pumpgun with a bayonet may meet your needs better, especially if you are using a saiga 12 with bayonet maybe.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#13]
No butt strokes for any AR-15.   I wouldnt use it for a slash either.   Straight poking only.  

Went through Army basic with an M-14.    Saw a bunch of broken flash suppressors.  Wouldnt use it for a slash but butt strokes would be OK.  

The Mossberg 590A1 has what looks like a strong bayonet fixture, but have no experience with it.   If I were getting a Mossberg, I would go with one of those.  It also has a much thicker barrel than the standard M500.

While I like the looks of the M9, I would rather have the M7.   The slimmer blade will probably slip out easier.   Speed is your friend.  

JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If I'm close enough to need a bayonet, a shotgun will probably be useful too, so I put an M7 on my 870.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No butt strokes for any AR-15.   I wouldnt use it for a slash either.   Straight poking only.  

Went through Army basic with an M-14.    Saw a bunch of broken flash suppressors.  Wouldnt use it for a slash but butt strokes would be OK.  

The Mossberg 590A1 has what looks like a strong bayonet fixture, but have no experience with it.   If I were getting a Mossberg, I would go with one of those.  It also has a much thicker barrel than the standard M500.

While I like the looks of the M9, I would rather have the M7.   The slimmer blade will probably slip out easier.   Speed is your friend.  

JMHO.
View Quote

This is kinda what I thought. I'm guessing M16s used for bayonet drills need lots of repairs, or maybe they are junkers to begin with and just get tossed when used up. I agree with you on the M7. What I have is actually an M7b which has a rubber-like coating over the handle - a huge improvement in ergonomics. Not sure whether this is USGI or a knockoff but seems adequate for zombies.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure how well a bayonet would work on a zombie. I saw a pretty horrific video on liveleak of some dirtbag in Syria trying to to stab a prisoner in the head with the spike bayonet on a type-56 AK. He made multiple attempts but didn't penetrate the skull enough to kill the poor guy. 3 or 4 stabs at the head and a couple of more successful thrust to the torso and he was still alive, they ended up killing him with a gunshot.

Evolution has done a pretty good job at making it hard to stab someone in the brain. The skull is thick and shaped to deflect blows, and moves around a lot. I'm sure it can be done but I don't think it would happen as easily as on TV shows like TWD or various movies.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure how well a bayonet would work on a zombie. I saw a pretty horrific video on liveleak of some dirtbag in Syria trying to to stab a prisoner in the head with the spike bayonet on a type-56 AK. He made multiple attempts but didn't penetrate the skull enough to kill the poor guy. 3 or 4 stabs at the head and a couple of more successful thrust to the torso and he was still alive, they ended up killing him with a gunshot.

Evolution has done a pretty good job at making it hard to stab someone in the brain. The skull is thick and shaped to deflect blows, and moves around a lot. I'm sure it can be done but I don't think it would happen as easily as on TV shows like TWD or various movies.
View Quote

Came to post this exact thing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. If you want to get into the cranium, you're better off with a blunt object to break the skull open.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a USMC OKC3S bayonet on my M16A2 clone and that thing is a genuine murder weapon.  I would have zero reservations about using that thing on zombies.  It would do just fine.

I don't put bayonets on M4 carbines.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#20]
With 8 years as a 45b I never saw an M16A2 broken from bayonet training if that helps any...and this was when bayonet training was still a staple on Thursdays post roadmarch in the pre-acu Army
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#21]
There is a martial art for bayonets. Variation of Kendo and traditional spear fighting. Dates from the 17th century, still around...

Jukendo

...  The Way of the Bayonet
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

JMHO.
View Quote

Buttstrokes wont hurt an AR
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There is a martial art for bayonets. Variation of Kendo and traditional spear fighting. Dates from the 17th century, still around...

Jukendo

...  The Way of the Bayonet
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I love the bayonet the m9 is ok but the ontario1ft & okc3s are both better than the m9

baypets ar as useful as the holder is aggressive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Merry Christmas from Kuwait, 2013:

I have to admit, I'm not sure the bayonet is most effective from a unicycle.  I'm fond of the M7.  I very much admire the Marines' OKC, but I'm curious why they serrated the blade.  I think the M9 is more utility knife than bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#26]
When I went through basic training at fort ord we trained with the M -16.
I hated bayonet training. They had us trying to stab the bayonet into a tire tread nailed to a post.

The thing I remember most was how messed up the thumb index finger web would get trying to stab into those tire treads. Same problem holding the stock, the thumb index finger web slides forward on contact, and slams into the charging handle.

I think a bayonet is good to go on most non grip rifle stocks. But the hand grip stocks suck big time for bayoneting.

For Zombies I think I would want something quite a bit longer than a M- 16 rifle or its variants. One without a pistol grip stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep, I have heard of it but I've never seen one until now.
LT. on a unicycle.
By George I have seen the elephant!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When I went through basic training at fort ord we trained with the M -16.
I hated bayonet training. They had us trying to stab the bayonet into a tire tread nailed to a post.

The thing I remember most was how messed up the thumb index finger web would get trying to stab into those tire treads. Same problem holding the stock, the thumb index finger web slides forward on contact, and slams into the charging handle.

I think a bayonet is good to go on most non grip rifle stocks. But the hand grip stocks suck big time for bayoneting.

For Zombies I think I would want something quite a bit longer than a M- 16 rifle or its variants. One without a pistol grip stock.
View Quote

For attacks use the pistol grip
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#29]
See, I think a short spear might be the ultimate melee weapon. I'd like a spike-style point say triangular or cruciform and an exaggerated crossguard that would allow hooking attacks. Probably a hard cap on the opposite end for reverse strikes, buttstroke, etc. But that's another thing to carry. I suppose it could double as a walking stick, not much else though. The bayonet can double as a field knife. I'm mostly interested in thrusting attacks and don't really believe in slashing with spears/bayonets. you could still strike blows with the shaft of the spear/rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just because nobody made a bayonet mount for a M500, I made my own.

Stoner bayonet.

Functional yes, but it's just a showpiece.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  Just because nobody made a bayonet mount for a M500, I made my own.

<a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/user/edthebouncer/media/bayonet_mount/mossberg_bayo_zpse7a89329.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/edthebouncer/bayonet_mount/mossberg_bayo_zpse7a89329.jpg</a>

Stoner bayonet.

<a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/user/edthebouncer/media/bayonet_mount/m500_bayonet_12_zps8bc1f90d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/edthebouncer/bayonet_mount/m500_bayonet_12_zps8bc1f90d.jpg</a>

Functional yes, but it's just a showpiece.
View Quote

Very nice.  How did you get the extended magazine on there?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#32]
With a proper bayonet, you don't even need a rifle.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:06:32 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

See, I need one of those w/ an AR mount.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:12:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I keep my M9 snapped on my 590 for home defense. I figure if they get past 8 slugs it's time to tango.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Very nice.  How did you get the extended magazine on there?
View Quote

Did not put an extension on it. Bought it "as is" way back 1993 when I was 22yo for $250.

Been shootin' it 6+ times year ever since.

Edit: A 5/8ths socket (look close at pic above) fits inside all nato bayo's real nice.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

If that's Argentine, I have one of those!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:30:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is.

Do you have the rifle to go with it? What color are the grips on the bayonet?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#38]
The grips are bare metal 2-tone, just like your picture. As to the rifle...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top