Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 2:51:11 PM EDT
I could definitely see them being as big of a threat, if not bigger.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I would consider them a bigger threat than the dead.  If we're talking about ragers (28 days later types) and not slow movers, then the ragers would probably be a bigger threat.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I could definitely see them being as big of a threat, if not bigger.
View Quote

Other survivors in any disaster will be potential threats. Got to take them on a case by case . Friend or foe? Mutual assist or take your stuff and kill you? Too many unknowns there till it happens.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I say the living would be biggest threat.  Ever dealt with a person who is very hungry......
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The living will be a bigger threat. you know what Zed wants and you know his tactics. other survivors will do what they feel they have to to continue to survive. weather they are tactically savey or just plain desparate they will be a danger to you and your tribe until they can earn trust. and that would be very dificult in my opinion....
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 100% certain other people would be a bigger threat all around. People will do whatever they need to get better gear and supplies.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Nah, people are wonderful, just look at Fergudishu.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
yup, especially any ghetto trash that makes it out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Shut a cities food supply off for a week and watch all the good people come out.

Living will be a much bigger threat, at least in a slow moving zombie environment.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]
This
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 100% certain other people would be a bigger threat all around. People will do whatever they need to get better gear and supplies.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]
just look at how much trouble the living gave Rick and his merry crew, as opposed to the zeds.  Yeah, the lives ones are the ones to fear.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#13]
The living are always the bigger danger in any situation. Always.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#14]
The strong in nature always prey on the weak and in our country we have so many week that have been on welfare for generations, and never earned anything so there will be alot to prey on. If they never even worked to survive in this world what good will they be in the zed. They will be dirty rotten scoundrels in the end of days. Mother nature meant for the week to not survive the united states has made a great home for all the trash in the world to come live and get free health care and monthly checks think about it. I love our country for what it should be not what it is.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Just look at what happened in the Superdome after a few days with no supplies. When humans go feral they are the biggest threat.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#16]
If you had a massive supply of BIC lighters, Top-Ramen and Twinkies you could be a GOD!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Some of the living is a threat now....
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would consider them a bigger threat than the dead.  If we're talking about ragers (28 days later types) and not slow movers, then the ragers would probably be a bigger threat.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Ragers or fast moving Z's scare me.....

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#20]
The living are scarier, live people are not predictable in these types of situations. Good people will do bad things.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#21]
As stated.  in any societal break down people will be the problem.  Some will simply be out to take care of their own, but most will be doing what they would have been doing if there was not a society to stop them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Both are a threat. People may be the most dangerous because they can be cunning

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Keven Costner had a great line in the movie "The Postman" I'll paraphrase where he comes across strangers and says to his female companion how essentially the question always is do you say "hi" or 'blow their head's off?"  

It comes down to my condition, their condition, and my need to interact with them either due to required assistance or just no choice (i.e. I can't get to where I need to be without going through them or I can't move around them due to terrain).  The USA is now over 320,000,000 people in population and even with the devastating death toll of a zombie apocalypse you're going to have a lot of uninfected people to deal with as well.  There are few areas of the country with such low population density that you're going to be able to avoid people.  

Careful and measured caution is the order of the day.  Be professional, courteous, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.  If you're overly aggressive you may force a situation that could have been avoided. Avoid situations where you're greatly out-numbered, all male groups (guys with kids or women in tow are less likely to risk their lives than their male companions), and keep in mind that if they're really hurting they could be ultra dangerous like a wounded animal.

A good exercise is to play "The Law of Us" where you'll see the different groups. Some good, some bad, and some in-between depending on circumstances able to go either way. The movie and book "The Road" is also a good look as the two survivors of the apocalypse there run into various folks.

If I could I would observe a group or folks undetected to see who they are and what they're about before approaching.  In the show "The Walking Dead" one of the mistakes that group makes is going into the railroad junction called "sanctuary" without first spending any time trying to observe the group.  Had they watched for any measure of time first they would have been likely to see what they were up to.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Both are a threat. People may be the most dangerous because they can be cunning

http://youtu.be/DOo9bjLtL3Q http://youtu.be/whYZUZKzFkY
View Quote

Interesting video.

When it comes to Defensive positions the only viable option is to have a QRF out there, because the attackers always have the initiative until you can put them off balance with a good counter-attack from a QRF that is in a position close enough to provide mutual support.  Few raiders will be able to engage two or more decent groups simultaneously.  You'll notice that the one video briefly addresses that, but for the most part all their tactics involve a an assault without any mention of rear security or protection of their own flanks. If you can have two groups mutually supporting each other in viable positions or better yet more the chances of a successful raid against you are significant reduced for the attackers. Your QRF basically attacks them from their weak rear or flanks and then the attackers are literally between your strong defensive location taking fire and the counter attacking group, which should cut them down.

Patrols are also necessary even if it's just spotter observers. You can't just sit on your property.  Approaches to your location are going to be easy to predetermine.  Few traveling raiders are going to travel over the roughest terrain burning up calories and risking injury so they're going to stay on travel able routes at least up to the point where they begin to start their approach to your location.  The goal would need to be ambush groups like that while they are still on approach before they have been able to put into practice their attack plan and move to gain position.  

Problem with having the infected is that it limits your ability to stay concealed and conduct patrol if the number of infected in your AO are high.  Of course, the number of infected in  your AO works against the attackers as well making it more difficult to travel and approach undetected.

Probably the greatest tactical advantage would be learning how to use those infected in way to enhance your protection. Perhaps by providing false intel that such raiders would collect (like signs or things they'd look for on their travels) to take them into areas with higher zombie concentration.  The zombie could really be a force multiplier.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you played DAYZ? Zombies are the least of your problems.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The living will be a bigger threat. you know what Zed wants and you know his tactics. other survivors will do what they feel they have to to continue to survive. weather they are tactically savey or just plain desparate they will be a danger to you and your tribe until they can earn trust. and that would be very dificult in my opinion....
View Quote

+1. To a certain extent, I have seen it in person overseas when dealing with the "locals" who were tagged as not being a threat. I feel its part of our human nature to be driven by our most essential needs for life.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Honestly I would be more scared of other survivors than zombies.

That being said human civilization is a collaborative effort. To think that we would unceremounsly shitcan 7000+ years of work over a zombie outbreak and regard each other with less tact and civility than what wolves are capable of seems unlikely. This was the major reason why I stopped watching the walking dead. Well that and the fact that the characters all seem to be dumber than emu dung.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I think the primary threat changes with the duration of the crisis.

In the beginning - first week-ish - resources will still be plentiful and everyone will be working to prepare themselves against the perceived threat ie zombies

But when the infrastructure and law and order collapse then food becomes scarce, ammo runs out, water is unavailable, medicine is needed, fuel tanks empty, etc. and that's when you'll see the "have nots" go after the "haves" and other survivors become the primary threat.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think the primary threat changes with the duration of the crisis.

In the beginning - first week-ish - resources will still be plentiful and everyone will be working to prepare themselves against the perceived threat ie zombies

But when the infrastructure and law and order collapse then food becomes scarce, ammo runs out, water is unavailable, medicine is needed, fuel tanks empty, etc. and that's when you'll see the "have nots" go after the "haves" and other survivors become the primary threat.

View Quote

Plus, the longer you go in the zombie apocalypse the more fierce your competition. It's survival of the fittest and eventually only the varsity teams are going to alive with the dumb, weak, disorganized, etc having been taken out of the game already.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Those that don't live in the middle of large towns and grew up never learning to grow things, fix things etc would be your real threat.  It is those types that think the only recourse
is to take what is yours.  Those of us "country boys" would do just fine.  Just might have to shoot a few, but such is life.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#31]
"Even in space during the zombie apocalypse, the most dangerous enemy is still man."
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Plus, the longer you go in the zombie apocalypse the more fierce your competition. It's survival of the fittest and eventually only the varsity teams are going to alive with the dumb, weak, disorganized, etc having been taken out of the game already.

View Quote

Terminus bar and grill
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:34:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Anyone believe there could be communities of survivors to make it, through hard work and co-operation. bunker up and build outward? im trying to form such a support network among my friends for any kind of Emergency situation, ever since i saw what happened during katrina ,and now during Ferguson. its easier for me since most of my friends are either Vets like me, or Active duty. anyone else planning for a sort of survivor community? i figure there is safety in numbers. and like-minded people working to survive and thrive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#34]
It's all going to become tribal. us vs them.  People you don't will try to kill you directly or by trying to join and drain you resources.  People are going to be the biggest threat of all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#35]
How could other people  not be a threat? We are a threat to each other on a daily basis when everything is "normal".
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Trust no one. Kill everything. Ask questions later. No, but really you can't trust everyone the same or at all. It's as simple as that. Zombies depending on the type ie. Resident Evil, Walking Dead...ehhh manageable, 28 Days Later...top priority threat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Limited supplies coupled with the lack of law enforcement makes the living far more problematic. Zombies will only do 1 thing all day every day - try and eat you. People, on the other hand, will do far worse.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I would think being alone or in a small-ish group would put you at risk. I have a few friends that would be assets, also my extended family is rather large.
More mouths to feed, yeah, but safety in numbers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Agreed!
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#41]
It depends. People aren't all the same. Different groups of people react to similar situations in very different ways. Some groups would be effected to different degrees.

Some "communities" in the United States can't go through a weekend without a double digit body count from fighting with in their own community. In other communities violent crime is something pretty much only seen on TV programs. Adversity only seems to make this more obvious. Natural disasters offer an excellent illustration of this. I some areas people are hit by a sudden disaster and they respond by working together and do what they can to help themselves. In other communities if the power goes out for 20 mins the robbing, raping, and murdering will begin.

In some places having guns, camping gear, large pantries, and knowledge of farming is common place, in others not so much. The same threat might lead to "lord of the flies" in one town while another town gets organized and makes it though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top