Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 1:33:40 AM EDT
UPDATE:
I've read the local nuclear plant's official emergency plans and have come to several realizations:

• Nuclear plants are pretty safe

• A radio will probably help more than a gun

• Sometimes it's probably better to do what they instruct...

• Nuclear plants can't explode (like a bomb)

Here's what an event would probably look like; emergency declared/detected, sirens across town alert, people are supposed to go in and turn on the radio, emergency info and instructions given, possibly start taking KI tablets, either shelter in place or evacuate.

Evacuation is basically any route away from the site. They also track where wind might carry a radiation plume.

So just having a radio to turn on if the sirens start to wail, having potassium iodide tablets, stored food and water, stuff to seal up heat ducts and vents, and having some stuff ready to grab as your run out the door ; is all the basics. The way to add to that is cloths that you can totally cover yourself and a protective mask.

I'll still have routes, but really just getting away from the radiation plume is all that's important.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
So, I know now that I am almost for sure relocating, and only totally unforeseen circumstances would change that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#2]
As with any plan to bug out simply bugging out is only going to lead to you wondering around. You need a bravo site that you are going to, this could be the super secret bunker you built or simply a family members house away from your alpha location. This will dictate more of your planning than anything.

Some helpful ideas would be to scout less travelled county, state and private roads as much as possible. The main highway is going to be a cluster faster than you might be able to imagine. Go drive the road ways on a good day with people acting somewhat civilized, there are already cars and trucks everywhere with accidents slowing things down. There will be no police to keep people in a orderly line, no wreckers to haul the mess away. The shoulder and breakdown lanes will be a mass of crazed people.

Also look along the river for boat docks. No idea the scale of the river in the photo but putting a small fishing boat with an outboard at one of these locations for a normal fishing trip can quickly double as an alternate escape route. In addition you need to know that river if you plan on having this as an option. Where does the river bend? Are the currents stronger in one area versus another? Are there resources along the river that could be useful? Are there a lot of people that have access to boats on a normal day on the river? Where do you abandon the boat and go in land?

Best advice I can give on the whole route planning thing is plan it like you see Hollywood do bank heists. Scout the area, plan multiple routes, time each route in a best case scenario, and then add in worst case scenario timing. Granted you can't take your 4X4 truck crashing through the city park to test your worst case timing. Use your best guess on how much effort and time it would take or save doing the extreme and if the risk of damage would be worth the reward of shaving a few seconds.

Practice your routes often so you know of changes such as construction.

I can assure you part of those 3 million people will head in your direction. Being that tightly packed will mean they will have seen horrors and be a different person by the time they reach your area. So while the one bridge may seem nice due to it's proximity you may want to think about skipping it and the bridge only 15 minutes away and plan to make your crossing an hour away.

Make sure you have the maps printed and with you. Label key points such as bridges, mark them A, B, C etc in order of preferred use. Mark out resources, mark out routes. You may not be able to recall all of the information under stress.

Lastly assume you are walking, make sure you can physically handle that with your gear. Make sure you can navigate the terrain and still know what direction your are moving in. Since facing a river scout where you can swim it if possible and make sure you can water protect your gear as best as possible.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply! Not sure what I did but I guess this hasn't been worth responding to?

I've read your post to the fullest. At this moment I'm going over the plant's official emergency plan. It'll take a while to get through all of the material collected, but should not only show me what a well thought out plan for the masses will dictate (and determine movement for most), and even help me create my own plan.There is actually a provided tool kit to help build a personal emergency plan for this situation.

So, I'll get through all this, then look back here, and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this facility a power plant? A chemical plant?

That may change the plan slightly. If the place has an emergency then consider it ground zero, people will radiate away from it. In your case it will act as a shield of sorts for the 3 million + population center. That is unless you are on the wrong side of the facility when it goes into emergency mode. In that case you now have to head toward the masses. I like that you are thinking of the posted emergency plans to plan around where the masses go. The one thing I would look at if it is a power or chemical plant is the listed enviromental impacts based on wind and water. This could make the river a bad idea, or changing winds could force you and thus everyone else to alter their plans.

You will just have to make sure your plan is fluid and flexible to allow for changes.

If the place is a correctional facility then that adds an additional threat layer. You will have to contend with people who have shown little to no care for laws or other people's saftey and property when enforcement exsisted. Imagine what some of these same people would do in a true panic situation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
A LOT more of your last post was relavent to the situation. Totally my fault, I was a little too vague. It's a plant, the kind where if something important goes wrong, sirens across the town will immediately sound.

It's actually rather safe though, and unlikely to have an issue. It's also not a rocket fuel factory, so there's no risk of going out instantly in a big explosion.

After reading most of the materials now, my bug out plan will simply be head in the opposite direction FAST. That's as it stands now. My future employer will actually dictate whether that's allowed or not, but I expected that.

So, my plan is still majorly flexing. If it's simply an issue at that plant, then better to head in the opposite direction than trying to go straight home, fastest route.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Deleted the whole first post. Update added.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top