Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 4:45:20 PM EDT
I am going to seriously (sic) start discussion on the pros and cons of the use of melee weapons for defense against zeds.

I see a lot on here advocating the use of a bat, katana sword, machete, etc., in defending one's self against zeds in real (sic again) fighting. I will set this up so that we are all on the same page as far as zeds. I will concede they are Romero type zeds and not "White Zombi" type zeds, more of the current view of infection based zeds. I feel some protection is needed like a face shield to keep it out of your eyes and mouth similar to hazardous waste disposal (Purell anyone?). There are also some practical aspects like training and effective strikes. Broken legs can at least slow them down a lot as an example. The main self defense would be from the standpoint as to not get trapped against a wall, door, or other obstruction, and to not get bitten or scratched (see "6 Points of Zombie Self Defense" by Brad Roe, a seriously tongue-in-cheek but truthful Guide). Infection would be from the actual cause of the zombification, as well as the rotting of the corpse. For here, we will only discuss melee, not firearm use as this will be another thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the idea of a machete for this as it has proven itself but up here I feel a tomahawk is more useful
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If your going to engage the zed's in hand to hand combat ensure that your arms are well protected.
This will reduce the chance of getting bitten/infected during combat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I honestly think a bayonet on a 20 inch rifle would be sufficient for the zeds
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
chain mail shark bite suit and a lighter version of a war hammer,spike on top for stabbing in close quarters

just some of the stuff I think about while droning away at work
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know, if we are trying to be "real" while discussing how to best slay reanimated corpses...

To be honest I resisted the idea of melee weapons, since I had a couple thousand rounds for my pistol and rifle.  But "reality" set in, if this Apocalypse last more then a weekend, I maybe in trouble.  If I run out of ammo, I wont be able to provide cover fire for the Chinese take out guy, and if they stop delivering my whole survival plan starts to unravel.

After watching the Walking Dead, Guns and Gardens (on youtube), 28 days later, Troy and 300, I really beginning to like the large shield idea a lot.  Against slow movers, it seems that three or four shield carriers maybe able to hold off medium size groups of zed.  The shield holders can push zeds back or down, while hacking away with machetes or bats (I like because they fast and light) and maybe two people behind the shield carriers with long "spear" like weapons, reaching further out killing zeds.

One shield carrier by himself, is a dead man, the shield would make him slower like the zombie and remove much of his advantage

so for shield carriers, one handed weapons, and they should of medium length so that they don't have to extend their arms out pass the shield to much, bats, machetes, any average sword,
I don't think Sledges, Picks or Axes would work (two handed), hatches and Kukris maybe not have the reach.  Don't get me wrong, if you knock a zed down and walk over him and pin his neck down with your boot or shield those weapons would be perfect.  

The rear people would be more spear people, but lawn darts, bows and slings would work fine.  I was at home depot and the extended arm branch cutters looked cool, but they are far too flimsy to last more then a couple of hours but I like the idea.  Sharp wooden stick/spear would not last long.  Metal gets heavy fast

I guess my Apocalypse plans our incomplete.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd say the Kahana or the tomahawk. The katana is designed to cut through people and the tomahawk can cut, maim, and hook the zombies or one of their limbs to move or trip them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy shit, I forgot we had a zombie sub-forum.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Blunt force for me. If bullets were gone, I'd rather duel wield a pair of these.

Not sexy, but

No maintainance;
Wrist retention;
Light;
Fast;
Easily swung in close quarters;
Won't get stuck in a zed cranium/rib cage;
Won't be blinded by blood, guts, whatever.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Against slow movers, it seems that three or four shield carriers maybe able to hold off medium size groups of zed.  The shield holders can push zeds back or down, while hacking away with machetes or bats (I like because they fast and light) and maybe two people behind the shield carriers with long "spear" like weapons, reaching further out killing zeds.

One shield carrier by himself, is a dead man, the shield would make him slower like the zombie and remove much of his advantage

so for shield carriers, one handed weapons, and they should of medium length so that they don't have to extend their arms out pass the shield to much, bats, machetes, any average sword,
I don't think Sledges, Picks or Axes would work (two handed), hatches and Kukris maybe not have the reach.  Don't get me wrong, if you knock a zed down and walk over him and pin his neck down with your boot or shield those weapons would be perfect.  

The rear people would be more spear people, but lawn darts, bows and slings would work fine.  I was at home depot and the extended arm branch cutters looked cool, but they are far too flimsy to last more then a couple of hours but I like the idea.  Sharp wooden stick/spear would not last long.  Metal gets heavy fast
View Quote

What you are discribing here is the Roman army Phalanx. They used large shields that covered from the shin to the top of a soldiers head and short swords for thrusting between shields into attackers. This tactic proved for hundreds of years to be a dominant strategy for hand to hand combat, and that was against living breathing humans. So yes, if you could set this up in a zombie apocalypse then you have a good thing going.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Blunt force for me. If bullets were gone, I'd rather duel wield a pair of these.

Not sexy, but

No maintainance;
Wrist retention;
Light;
Fast;

http://www.boonebait.com/images/88888.jpg
View Quote

I also agree with this. I was never a big fan of blunt weapons but it really is impressive the amount of power and damage you can deliver with a blunt weapon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not sexy, but

No maintainance;
Wrist retention;
Light;
Fast;

http://www.boonebait.com/images/88888.jpg
View Quote

plus it will make a nice "ping" noise!
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The Phalanx is a good idea but wouldn't work as well against zombies as they are already dead and a spear would have to aim for the eye sockets. I don't know how effective a spear could pierce a cranium at close range without a buildup and my guess is you'd have a lot of glancing blows under duress.

It seems a war hammer, mace, morning star, flail, or battle axe would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#13]
agreed spears would be hard from behind shields.  The spear tip would have to be as thin as a piece of rebar.  That's me assuming that you would go for the eye to reach the brain. The flat bone on the skull and top of head would seem to be harder to pierce (thicker and more deflections).

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
A moderately sized (2-3' handle) en trenching tool or similar type of shovel would work great.  Especially if you sharpen the edge.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#15]
If you really wanna get bad ass with a spear try a Japanese naginata! !
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:29:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Fallen Oak Forge mace that will crush pretty much anything.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri.

A versatile tool, you can use it as a knife, chopper & it's also heavy enough to use as a hammer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]

This would be my first choice.  I used one for several years to clear survey lines.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#19]
If it kicked off today, I would be rocking my ZT Urban Bone Machete and/or my kindling wood hatchet since that's all I have at the moment.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Hardest part would be picking which blade or blunt object to use. I might have a bit of a problem with collecting melee weapons
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think any prudent person would actively seek out a melee confrontation with a crowd of zeds, but, shit does happen.  Having proper gear and weapons would be a good thing.
Personally, I depend on my Langsax and sax knife.  Sturdy, razor sharp, and they carry well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zMliLqFuHBU/UH47PaKXPmI/AAAAAAAAEcQ/9jRf2zehKi4/s1600/il_570xN.324884716.jpg
View Quote

Nothing like a pinion gear and a steel welded bar to crush melons with.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
The heck with the sharp edged and long pokey weapons. The last thing I need is to get my machete or spear stuck in a zed melon.

I'd go blunt or blunt with a short wide spike. Like a war club or gunstock club.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Many of you are under estimating the spear. They are designed for penetration and the bones of the face are surprisingly fragile. A proper 2hand thrust from a spear would likely pierce both sides of the cranium. Not saying a spear is perfect, just that penetrating the skull is going to be easier then smashing one with blunt force trauma. If your interested in slashing vs piercing head trauma look into English cavalry sword development.

A proper 10inch bowie type knife would be great, Viking sword, Scottish bastard sword etc.

PS I know the katana is mentioned above, it would be a great weapon. It is a 2 handed sword despite being shown wielded one handed often on tv/film. If you want a one handed sword look into the slightly shorted wakizashi.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Raid the garden shed.  Take an ax or pick and trim the metal parts so basically the handle has a collar of metal around it.  They were meant for swinging and would give a little distance from the target.  Would be good for breaking into locked doors also.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I would also have to say a spear would be your best choice.  It's the rifle of ancient times.  Something with a long sleek blade that won't snag.  Replace the handle with something strong so it doesn't break.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#27]
+1 on spear.

I also do not believe that you know what "(sic) [sic]" means.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zMliLqFuHBU/UH47PaKXPmI/AAAAAAAAEcQ/9jRf2zehKi4/s1600/il_570xN.324884716.jpg
View Quote

damn straight FOF his stuff is from a mind that has already invisioned the end of days.  I bet you will be dead before your weapon quits.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#29]
whatever you feel best to do, just do it quick, and move.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't the guy who makes those an Arfcommer?
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FallenOakForge?page=1
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, godrilla47
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes I do know what sic means but you are the first to mention it. So congrats!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#33]
My choice would be not to melee but as someone said earlier stuff happens. Pointy things can get stuck so go with something that is available in every hardware store.

If you need a knife go with something with a slender blade and some protection for the hand.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
+1 on spear.

I also do not believe that you know what "(sic) [sic]" means.
View Quote

+2!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top