Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The most pervasive themes in The Walking Dead are a need for self reliance,acceptance of the fact that no matter what you do bad things can still happen, and that hard choices can be made without compromising your humanity.Those are pretty good messages for today's society.Dr. Manny can suck it.It's just a tv show.
You want an obsession that is hurting society?Professional sports have been telling people that it's okay to rape women(Rothesburger),torture and kill animals for "fun"(Vick),molest children and cover up the evidence(Penn State),obstruct a murder investigation(Lewis),actual murder(Hernandez), as long as you're still a popular player bringing the money in.That's not even mentioning the drugs,drunk driving,assaults spousal abuse....the list goes on.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the WD let's people know that a little preparedness for any disaster is a smart idea. They're always looking for food, shelter, weapons to defend themselves and their loved ones and when they do find it, they try to fortify and keep it. I know some of the show isn't like that, but it makes people think even when the characters are doing the wrong things. Now I'm not saying someone should do exactly what they're doing, but if it gives people the idea about looking into emergency preps and the like, then there's nothing wrong with that.

It's also just entertainment and people need to just take it as such if they're going to try and pick apart a show and turn it into a negative thing. I could do that with every "reality" show, talk show, the news and more if I wanted.

Unrelated, I know the biggest pet peeve of mine with the jail was, why not just take shifts standing by the fence and poke poles and crowbars through the fence to thin out the group of zombies in the field? Seemed to be a pretty easy task for anyone there and would of done a lot of good if they kept at it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is watching "The Walking Dead” seriously hurting American society?

I would argue ‘Yes.’  Hate me all you want, or call me paranoid and misinformed, but there is one common theme that is pervasive in American pop culture today: violence.  Even more specifically, zombie violence. The idea of a zombie-infested world inspires fantasies of monsters possessed by an uncontrollable rage to kill, and viewers get a thrill imagining what it would be like to participate in this new world order.

Wake up and smell the coffee.  Stop obsessing over eating brains, and focus on cultivating your own.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/17/dr-manny-america-obsession-with-zombies-is-hurting-our-society/

View Quote

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

THIS tv show is hurting our society?
Dude for someone preaching "cultivate you own brain" you sure are not using yours...
TV PERIOD is fucking society. Cell phones and the internet creating a world of impatient drones that MUST have instant gratification.
Trying to say one tv show is hurting society is like saying one twinkie made rosie fat...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a soap opera, plain and simple. The zombie apocalypse is to The Walking Dead as the oil industry was to Dallas.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the game doom was gonna bring society down
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would argue ‘Yes.’  Hate me all you want, or call me paranoid and misinformed, but there is one common theme that is pervasive in American pop culture today: violence.  Even more specifically, zombie violence. The idea of a zombie-infested world inspires fantasies of monsters possessed by an uncontrollable rage to kill, and viewers get a thrill imagining what it would be like to participate in this new world order.

Wake up and smell the coffee.  Stop obsessing over eating brains, and focus on cultivating your own.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/17/dr-manny-america-obsession-with-zombies-is-hurting-our-society/

View Quote

It sure is a thrill! And it would be fun
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP, you are flirting with stronger forces than you evidently realise.  Why, even the Guv'mint has produced (at vast expense) a helpful guide for citizens showing what steps need to be taken to prepare for a ZA (ZA Preparation).  Man, you just can't rear up and tell red-blooded Americans NOT to prepare for or learn about something if it involves lots of shooting!  What next: beer commercials? The swimsuit edition?

Listen, pal: even Admiral Yamamoto (NOT a fictional character, BTW) said: "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."  And he was a hell of a poker player, as well.

As for brains, we've got plenty of people who neither use nor need theirs; I'm not SPECIFICALLY mentioning Dallas fans, I'm just sayin'....
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
didnt read rest of posts...
but really  this is the program that this Doc think is phuking us?    

that Doctor is a quack...how about all the fake reality programming like jersey shores & the stupid off shoots... these are hurting our society more than any zombie programming.
there are way more peeps addicted to these reality programs than anything else... its all i hear about in the office anymore.
peeps have shut down thinking they can be like these tv fakes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Zombie= someone who doesn't care about you or your family and will kill you to get what you have.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is the need to have a clear definition between good and evil and with that an enemy that is clearly defined that can be fought and over come with little to no remorse. Within the subtext of every dystopian fantasy is of course the childish wish to live without rules, take what you want and stab people in the face.

In our current age of hope and change we are faced with a gluttonous and all consuming menace. Like the undead we are daily confronted with the dead who follow what the tv screens show them, who feel the feelings of guilt and shame taught to them by the state school system or worse have been given license for heinous acts in the name of righteous indignation and reinforced by the absence of solid morals in the home. Zombie fantasies allow us to mitigate that menace.

It is also a world where the basement dweller the fat kid the coward the out cast can realize hidden talents and courage and rise above their former self, leaving it behind and becoming something better.

Zombies are not hurting our society, the genere provides positive ID for what we really want : authentic experience and the freedom to mitigate the swarming menace in our society.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The most pervasive themes in The Walking Dead are a need for self reliance,acceptance of the fact that no matter what you do bad things can still happen, and that hard choices can be made without compromising your humanity.Those are pretty good messages for today's society.Dr. Manny can suck it.It's just a tv show.
You want an obsession that is hurting society?Professional sports have been telling people that it's okay to rape women(Rothesburger),torture and kill animals for "fun"(Vick),molest children and cover up the evidence(Penn State),obstruct a murder investigation(Lewis),actual murder(Hernandez), as long as you're still a popular player bringing the money in.That's not even mentioning the drugs,drunk driving,assaults spousal abuse....the list goes on.
View Quote

The most self reliant characters on that show are the bad guys.

If anything, it teaches safety through collectivism.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Two words: Reality TV
That's whats really hurting America.  Juice heads who watch too much jersey shore, or women who watch the bachelor.

Zombies are the best way for most younger people to get into prepping.  I 100% back that up, but I've had to get quite a few people in my area to realize it's not all about firefights.  Sustainable resources like farming, and renewable resources are more important.  If you have a zombie bag in your truck, you also happen to have a hurricane bag, a earthquake bag, a forest fire bag, or a flood bag in there too.  Most people I've ran into are very level headed about the whole thing.  

Zombie turns into a term for a worst case scenario.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Look at the flowers, Look at the flowers!
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That little girl is good, especially for a kid but in general she's a good actress.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#16]
DR. MANNY?????

Why would I care what an OB/GYN has to say about television?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

BANG! LMAO
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I know it's making me want to start herding and eating people
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top