Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 11:28:27 AM EDT
Just finished reading the 4 books in this series (5th one not released yet). Pretty good story line. Not really zombies, more of the 28 Days Later type infected.

The Remaining

Book 1: The Remaining
Book 2: The Remaining: Aftermath
Book 3: The Remaining: Refugees
Book 4: The Remaining: Fractured

In a steel-and-lead-encased bunker 20 feet below the basement level of his house, a soldier waits for his final orders. On the surface, a plague ravages the planet, infecting over 90% of the populace. The bacterium burrows through the brain, destroying all signs of humanity and leaving behind little more than base, prehistoric instincts. The infected turn into hyper-aggressive predators, with an insatiable desire to kill and feed. Some day soon, the soldier will have to open the hatch to his bunker, and step out into this new wasteland, to complete his mission: SUBVENIRE REFECTUS.

TO RESCUE AND REBUILD.

The Remaining is the first book in the bestselling series, which tells a gritty tale of survival, perseverance and fighting to get back what has been lost.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been reading this series as well, definitely good reading.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thumbs up also. Dying for book 5 to come out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, good books.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a big fan of his work also.  While I wait for his and a few others
Story to unfold in coming books, I just finished the first installment
Of "Arisen".  It's on kindle and it's great.  The  protagonist's are
A mix of Special Forces and the authors go into pretty good detail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Im about 19% through the first book, so far so good.

Finished. Will buy the second book on friday. Damn good read

Edit #3: Got onto book 2, its kind of uninteresting but i'm sure it'l get better

Edit #4: Lee is a badass

Edit#5 almost done with refugees, my only response is
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Great story line. I have read all 4 books so far. I was looking into the release of the 5th and found out it will not be out until 2015. That sucks. With that said the author is going to release a few novelettes? on the back story on a few of the characters. Those are supposed to be out in 2014.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
2015 is a long time to wait. If he released some hardcover copies, i'd be super  happy, i don't much feel like borrowing my kindle to someone to read
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I liked the first book a lot.  Planning on reading the rest soon.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2015 is a long time to wait. If he released some hardcover copies, i'd be super  happy, i don't much feel like borrowing my kindle to someone to read
View Quote

You know how I knew you are from WI too?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And how is that
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
And how is that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And how is that
When someone receives an item they are borrowing it, when they give an item they are lending it.  People from Wisconsin use borrow for both.  I remember getting laughed at by a group of people from multiple other states when I said borrow instead of lend and had no idea why.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When someone receives an item they are borrowing it, when they give an item they are lending it.  People from Wisconsin use borrow for both.  I remember getting laughed at by a group of people from multiple other states when I said borrow instead of lend and had no idea why.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And how is that

I've never had that happen to me. But now that you mention it, i'll have tp try it.next time I'm out of state
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Great series. A roller coaster.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
bonesaw5, you sir are doing just fine. I've finished both "The Remaining" and "Arisen" series.
They are easily the best out there imho; and I've read a ton of this genre.

Eagerly awaiting book 5 of the Remaining series. In the meantime I downloaded "Trust" from D.J. Molles. I think it is a pre-cursor to the series.

I miss his dog "Tango".  
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess they have some pogue come around and place the thumb drive in each of the coordinators' boxes with each scare? And I'd expect the caches to be memorized and not dependent on a GPS... Also a small cache including a vehicle near his home would be a no-brainer.

I enjoyed the first book an will buy the next today.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Read books 1 through 3 starting last week while on vacation; just finished book 4 last night.  Great series.  I think book 5 will be pretty interesting given the circumstances in the end of book 4.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I messed up and read the second book and it was great. I ordered the others to be delivered on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just finished reading the 4 books in this series (5th one not released yet). Pretty good story line. Not really zombies, more of the 28 Days Later type infected.

The Remaining

Book 1: The Remaining
Book 2: The Remaining: Aftermath
Book 3: The Remaining: Refugees
Book 4: The Remaining: Fractured

In a steel-and-lead-encased bunker 20 feet below the basement level of his house, a soldier waits for his final orders. On the surface, a plague ravages the planet, infecting over 90% of the populace. The bacterium burrows through the brain, destroying all signs of humanity and leaving behind little more than base, prehistoric instincts. The infected turn into hyper-aggressive predators, with an insatiable desire to kill and feed. Some day soon, the soldier will have to open the hatch to his bunker, and step out into this new wasteland, to complete his mission: SUBVENIRE REFECTUS.

TO RESCUE AND REBUILD.

The Remaining is the first book in the bestselling series, which tells a gritty tale of survival, perseverance and fighting to get back what has been lost.

View Quote

I liked it alot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#18]
A good read, looking forward to the next one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Just finished the third and ordered the forth. Great series.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Just finished the third and ordered the forth. Great series.
View Quote

I should have books 3 & 4 being delivered today.  

I was pleasantly surprised with this series. Saw it sitting on the shelf in the bookstore and picked it up on a whim, not expecting much since I'd never heard of it. Got halfway through book 1 and picked up book 2 the next day and preordered 3 & 4.

Definitely the best in the genre so far, in my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I read them all pretty quickly, impatiently waiting for #5.

Did anyone read the $3-4 "mini books" he released?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read them all pretty quickly, impatiently waiting for #5.

Did anyone read the $3-4 "mini books" he released?
View Quote

They really aren't worth the money
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#23]
This seems like the thread for this:

- The Remaining. What this thread is about, everything has been said. Excellent series and eagerly awaiting the next TWO books. He will release book 6, quickly published after book 5 is released.

- Arisen Series. As mentioned by bonesaw5. I just downloaded books 7 and 8 as they snuck up on my. Special Forces, and very technical. It seems to get away from the Zombie aspect and delves more into people causing people pain. Which is fine by me. The writer has excellent contacts and research and you learn a lot about our military and processes, etc. Fun reads.

- Craig Dilouie books. The Infection, Tooth & Nail, The Killing Floor. All are excellent!!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I got to 3 and stopped.

It ended up not being my cuppa.

After the thing with his registration in the pickup truck, etc etc.  I was on a downward spiral as it was.

Eh.

Probably won't buy 4 and 5.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I just finished the first 5 and enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a few pages to go on the last one. I love the books.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Just finished the latest book, this series would make a great tv show.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#28]
How is the 5th book?  I loved the first 4, then Heard about the 2 short stories
he wrote in between were terrible.  Now I'm alittle hesitant to pay $8
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The short stories weren't terrible, but they weren't of Lee Hardin. They were more of supplemental character development without making the main story books too long or convoluted.

Somewhat relevant to book 5, and I'm going to guess, VERY relevant to book 6.

That being said, book 5 was a little slow as far as action is concerned. It focused a lot on building storyline, the mission at hand, and relationships with new/important characters/areas, that I'm sure will be a huge part of book 6.

I fully expect that book 5 was the calm before the storm and book 6 will be long and full of drama and excitement.

I don't think any author has made me hate a character as much as I hated Jerry. Fucking Jerry, man.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The short stories weren't terrible, but they weren't of Lee Hardin. They were more of supplemental character development without making the main story books too long or convoluted.

That being said, book 5 was a little slow as far as action is concerned. It focused a lot on building storyline, the mission at hand, and relationships with new/important characters/areas, that I'm sure will be a huge part of book 6.

I fully expect that book 5 was the calm before the storm and book 6 will be long and full of drama and excitement.

I don't think any author has made me hate a character as much as I hated Jerry. Fucking Jerry, man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah jerry was a shithead, the name escapes me at the moment but the guy who had the GPS being interrogated seems like he's going to get it back and run off screwing everyone. Just my prediction for book 6
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck you Jerry you fucking fuck.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#32]
When is the next book being released?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:38:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Suppose to be July 28, 2015. Hopefully he makes the date.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Suppose to be July 28, 2015. Hopefully he makes the date.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Pacing my reading so that ill just finish book 5 when book 6 comes out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I just preordered the next book. Trying to decide if I have time to read them all again before the new one is out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Re-reading them via Audible so I can refresh my memory before reading the ones that came out this year.

I also liked the "No Easy Hope" series by James Cook.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Bring back TANGO.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Really like it. The main character isn't some "normal person" who does idiotic cringe worthy stuff like in your average horror movie. He has training/skills and act intelligently but Murphy's law is still waiting to kick him in the teeth. Click To View Spoiler Interesting idea to show a highly trained super soldier who was given the most ideal setup still getting turned into hamburger in a SHTF even.

I also loved how the author describes certain parts of the characters mind. In dangerous situations part of his psyche is screaming for him to abandon the defenseless people around him and just save himself, and how he has to push that away and listen to his other instincts. That rung very true to me and it isn't something usual portrayed in movies or written in books.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got the last book yesterday and will read it this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I just got the last book yesterday and will read it this weekend.
View Quote

Same here. It'll be a race between my wife and I to see who can finish what they are reading first to start that one.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Currently reading it. Oh the twists!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Just finished. Hurry up and finish so I don't spoil it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I finished the book Saturday and thought it ended well. I wasn't sure what direction it was going.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I was a little disappointed with book 6.  Am I understanding correctly that that is the last in the series?  I thought I read that somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was a little disappointed with book 6.  Am I understanding correctly that that is the last in the series?  I thought I read that somewhere.
View Quote

It is the last of the series. I thought it wrapped up nicely, but I am dissapointed that it is the end.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just finished the latest book, this series would make a great tv show.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Good finish to the series, sad to see it end.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#49]
If you liked this series, I think you'd also enjoy the V Plague series

Author:  Dirk Patton

Unleashed: V Plague Book 1
Crucifixion: V Plague Book 2
Rolling Thunder: V Plague Book 3
Red Hammer: V Plague Book 4
Transmission: V Plague Book 5
Days Of Perdition: V Plague Book 6
Indestructible: V Plague Book 7
Recovery: V Plague Book 8
Precipice: V Plague Book 9

I'm on book 9 and a big fan of all the characters they developed. Dirk Patton is a writing fool. The hero of this series is a bad-ass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

It is the last of the series. I thought it wrapped up nicely, but I am dissapointed that it is the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Finally got around to finishing it last night. Great series and a satisfying ended, but I could easily see a spin-off/companion series in the future.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top