Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Without reading all theother comments..
I would want More Water, and 5 days of survivial non cook food like powerbars, etc...
Some good knives including a Swiss army knife and a leatherman tool.

More ammo and more extra magazies.
I would carry a few  hundred dollars of extra money in $20.00 dollar billsin my standard walled and 100 dollars in ones in my Bug Out pack...
A couple of SureFire LED flashlights with extra batteries.

Extra glasses, if I used them, and 30 to 90 days of what ever Meds I needed.

I would always have clothing for the weather in the area I was traveling in.

I would change that 22 Rifle you have  to a Ruger 10/22 with a Choate Folding stock and at least 10 loaded 25 round mags.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]
One thing you might try to change the camo pattern of your pack. I bought a surplus pack cover a while back from the desert storm campaign. The cover was a desert pattern just like your pack. The material was just a large piece of cloth with elastic on the edges that fit around the pack body. I think they went over the od green alice packs. Your could just by the color/camo of your choice sew a seem around the edges with elastic in it and slip it over the pack to fit the environment. That might be a cheap option rather than getting a different pack
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would want More Water, and 5 days of survivial non cook food like powerbars, etc...

I would carry a few  hundred dollars of extra money in $20.00 dollar billsin my standard walled and 100 dollars in ones in my Bug Out pack...

I would change that 22 Rifle you have  to a Ruger 10/22 with a Choate Folding stock and at least 10 loaded 25 round mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Slow your roll '13.
I know this is the zombie forum but clearly this is more of a camping/BOB.
And no offense to the OP, but she clearly isn't rolling in the dough, your suggestions are off base.
30 days of meds? GTFO
Swiss army knife and leatherman?
I don't agree with her rifle choice either but 10 BX mags is ridiculous. A 10 in the gun and two 25's in the pack. Another Beretta mag would be good too. OP, did you list what ammo is fueling the beretta? A 1oz bottle of lube might be smart, other cleaning supplies don't accompany my BOB. If it's TEOTWAWKI, sure, MAYBE, but the weapon shouldn't need a cleaning during SHTF. A wipe down and squirt of oil, yes.
Have we said Tampons already?
Take an old library card or used up gift card and wrap it 20-30 times with duct tape. No need to waste space and weight on a whole roll.
A couple hundred $ in cash? I've got $25 in cash + 3 in coins. I may be flirting with the line of appropriateness with this next comment but since it's the zombie forum - use your gun or your lady parts to get you anything that $25 won't get you
A couple surefires? She started with an Army elbow. Again, GTFO. I like streamlight 2AA's and walmart energizer headlamps if I'm not using petzl.

Water is key. I'd have at least one empty 100oz bladder and use a wide mouth nalgene as storage for other stuff - matches, fire stuff, meds, chem lights, purification tabs. My next BOB related purchase really needs to be a Katadyn Pro Hiker. Think of the trifecta - carry water, have the ability to carry more, and have the ability to purify. At this point, coffee filters and tabs might be your best bet.
More socks and undies to include gold bond powder.

4" izzy, latex gloves, and a CAT TQ would be a nice addition if funds permit.
Whistle and mirror are also key. Maybe a 2'x2' pink or orange fabric too.

Keep your chin up and good luck dying the DCU pack.

My pack is a shade darker than baby blue fyi. Very 'hippie civilian' look to it.
Quoted:
Quoted:
blah blah, buy a big ass strobe from Botach, blah blah

But seriously, don't buy from botach

But seriously, if you call to order they'll actually verify in stock status for you.
They had sub $10 pmags this time last year.
I've spent thousands with botach and have never been screwed. I just play smarter than the average arfcommer apparently.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep 4-6 maxi-pads in my GHB for the wife - as I'm a firm believer in Murphy's law. The SHTF will happen at the least convenient time of month.... count on it.
For the same reason I keep a few small rolls of hiker TP, a hand towel and soap.

Duct tape

Zip ties

Small AM/FM radio to pick up weather, emergency announcements etc.

Hard candy - something to suck on, mood lifter. Micro Coffee and tea bags.
Small Psalms and New Testament - on the theory that again, SHTF, I might be stranded somewhere for a period of time with NOTHING to do but wait. There might be a dying or dead person to deal with (comfort, console the living, conduct a burial...) and given stress I'll probably blank out on what to say.

Imodium tablets
Asperin/otc pain meds

OFF bug cream + 30 sun screen

Mocasins -
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I keep 4-6 maxi-pads in my GHB for the wife - as I'm a firm believer in Murphy's law. The SHTF will happen at the least convenient time of month.... count on it.
For the same reason I keep a few small rolls of hiker TP, a hand towel and soap.

Duct tape

Zip ties

Small AM/FM radio to pick up weather, emergency announcements etc.

Hard candy - something to suck on, mood lifter. Micro Coffee and tea bags.
Small Psalms and New Testament - on the theory that again, SHTF, I might be stranded somewhere for a period of time with NOTHING to do but wait. There might be a dying or dead person to deal with (comfort, console the living, conduct a burial...) and given stress I'll probably blank out on what to say. 3x5"s of loved ones or your dag, whatever. Put them in your hat or in the front cover of the bible

Imodium tablets
Asperin/otc pain meds

OFF bug cream + 30 sun screen

Mocasins -
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah thanks. Photos of loved ones - we've got a family pic of all of us on one side and a pic of each kid with name, address, and phone numbers of our home, and 2 family members' all laminated - we use them for crowds - safety pin a 'ID' badge to each of the little kids in case they're separated from us (again, Murphy's law - we've only lost 1 kid, once.... until a nice stranger brought him to us... but if happens again (different kid) at least a stranger would have his name, a cell phone # and a pic of what we look like....)

Leather work gloves

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the OP still around?

If so, I highly advise you not to use that fleece jacket in your BOB if it's what I think. It looks like the really soft, fuzzy fleeces. That's great under a shell of some kind, but as an outer most layer, all the heat gets blown out of it in the wind. Air as an isulation is why fleece is so warm, but if you can't retain that warm air, then it's no good.

The North Face as denser material fleece coats, as well as others I'm sure. You may want to go with a soft shell jacket, or just add the soft shell to wear over the fleece. Either way should take care of you.

Other than that, possibilities include:
Maybe leaving the combat axe out.
A smaller, lighter, brighter flashlight.
An actual pack rain cover.
Can't tell if there is a mag in the pistol. If not, have at least 2 mags. One could get dropped/lost.
More socks, undies, maybe a T shirt.
Pack of baby wipes.
small bar or 2 of soap. Hotel soaps maybe?
Flask of vodka. Some (strong) alcohol wipes?

Maybe some cans of tuna in oil? I hear you can punch a hole, add a wick, have a oil lamp for a while. When it runs dry, the tuna is warm and ready to eat also.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Freaking Great  Ideas    
I love the  Tuna in oil   Lamp Idea  I will have to try that   out to see  how well it works  
The Fleece that  I have in there  is a Very Dense   military type  
Not the   comfy soft  kind  
Its pretty warm   even with higher  winds   but   then again  I usually have  a  heavier jacket   in my vehicle  during  the colder months    that I can take  if needed
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome Idea     On the family photos   I carry a thumb drive    with  lots of   photos  and  info  But I hadn't thought of   carrying  a few small Printed copies
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Very impressed by how non-leg-humpy this thread is.

Tag for great ideas.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]
btw how do you like that survival rifle?  i've heard that they are jam-o-matics, is that true in your case?

may consider a ruger 10/22 takedown rifle instead if it is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I  Love the  Henry   I really cant recall  it jamming even once   and I shoot the cheap ammo  
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Good to know thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Another weight saving tip is if your going to use the Axe just for minor wood cutting you could switch that out to a portable folding hand saw, Gerber has one and it can make quick work of any branch with a 5" diameter.  Would also save on the amount of noise produced when your out in the woods and you don't want to attract too much attention.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#15]
My recommendation is to get some REALLY good inserts for your boots. Don't cheap out. They make a night and day difference when you have that extra weight on your feet and they last a lot longer. Put anything you don't want to get wet in a Ziploc bag, extra socks, batteries, ammo etc. I don't see a toothbrush or toothpaste. Tooth decay and infections are a very serious concern. Speaking of infections, you need a first aid antiseptic
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I get you on the desert camo I saw your in GA and im in the same area as you are so I understand how that stuff doesn't blend in anywhere around here
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top