Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2011 6:40:28 PM EDT
Most people tend to go with thinking about weapons for zompoc, but has anyone given any thoughts to PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for zombies?  Let's hear some suggestions and I'll throw up a poll to see what most people would use and what would be most effective!

Me, I'm thinking chainsaw chaps and a heavy leather duster type jacket.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Most people tend to go with thinking about weapons for zompoc, but has anyone given any thoughts to PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for zombies?  Let's hear some suggestions and I'll throw up a poll to see what most people would use and what would be most effective!

Good set of slick close fitting MC leathers. Spiked metal ball on a handle.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good set of slick close fitting MC leathers. Spiked metal ball on a handle.

I meant chainsaw chaps, not chainsaw, chaps.  They're typically made of high strength nylon or Kevlar to prevent you from cutting yourself when operating a chainsaw if you' kick the saw blade back.

This is about armor not weapons, there's plenty of weapon ideas
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
some thick leather underneath some full riot gear dress armor full face mask helmet so when you start getting close and personal with the zeds. I think within reason you could somewhat protect yourself but if you have to bulge up like a bomb sqaud suit I think I would rather run like hell live to fight another day!
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
had given some thought to a full sport bike suit with a lighter helmet (helmet doesnt need to stop major impacts), but that still leaves the neck and hands exposed.  Also was thinking about medieval armor "bracers" on the forearms.  Was thinking a series of thin 1/16" or 1/32" solid aluminum bars that wrap around the forearms with light padding under them.  In case of incoming bite you can shove your fore arm into their maw and they can clamp down all day without fear of puncturing the skin.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
My motorcycle gear,

I was lucky enough to test it on pavement this year going 40mph.

It worked!!!

-Dan
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Stormtrooper armor!  We all know it's not effective against blaster fire, buy it might be against zombie bites.

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stormtrooper armor!  We all know it's not effective against blaster fire, buy it might be against zombie bites.

I would imagine it would be like trying to bite through PVC and thus, very effective. I second the motion for storm trooper armour
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Full Motorcycle leathers.. IE Racing suit.. covers you from top to bottom, except at the neck.. so you'd have to do something there. Lightweight, it's leather or polymer, so it doesn't tear easy, and it's very mobile.

The other option would be some very lightweight chainmail...mebbie made out of aluminum or something.. you don't need very large gauge rings.. mebbie with rings the size of BB's.. it also would be very light and mobile. Much cooler than the leather.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Full Motorcycle leathers.. IE Racing suit.. covers you from top to bottom, except at the neck.. so you'd have to do something there. Lightweight, it's leather or polymer, so it doesn't tear easy, and it's very mobile.

The other option would be some very lightweight chainmail...mebbie made out of aluminum or something.. you don't need very large gauge rings.. mebbie with rings the size of BB's.. it also would be very light and mobile. Much cooler than the leather.

Sorta...

It's great while you're in a riding position.  Running...walking...fighting....not so much.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I would start with a dirt bike off road suit then reinforce it with 4-6" PVC    http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=60i&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1024&bih=625&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=bltZAHKMPFJ4hM:&imgrefurl=http://dontgetbit.wordpress.com/category/zombie-armor/&docid=QgnMca8xS9ZrnM&imgurl=http://dontgetbit.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/battle-armor-1.jpg&w=700&h=910&ei=CIreTvruHsmZ2QXRzvylBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&dur=956&sig=105778731109071622879&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=101&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&tx=125&ty=125&vpx=456&vpy=121&hovh=256&hovw=197

Something as simple as plastic trash cans and PVC would be very effective at making you bite proof . And remember when in dough use duct tape .
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Chain mail
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#14]
sharkbite suit. works against shark bites sooo it stands to reason that it would work against zombies. though it might be to heavy to run in
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#15]
So.. I got to thinking about this again last night, obsessing (as I sometimes do) about an idea that just won't go away. So I got to thinking about a mythbusters episode my kid was watching about truck bedliner being used for things other than lining the bed of a truck, which led me to the internet..

I found out something interesting..

The human jaw exerts, on average, a bit pressure of 120psi. For comparison, the average canine exerts 320psi, and the great white puts 600psi, and hyena's apply a whopping 1000psi.  So all in all, we (humans) have a pretty weak bite.
To whit, this means that, realistically, you could wear like a double layer or denim, or even a heavy canvas jacket/pants combo or jumpsuit, and you would be protected just fine from a zombie bite. Sure, it may hurt like heck if bit, but it won't break through the material, thus not getting a bite that will cause infection.

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#16]
chainmail made from high strength plastic loops...or plastic scale mail
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#17]
How funny will it be to watch people running around in Gimp suits after Z-Day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#18]
A ball gag would really ruin a Zombies good time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So.. I got to thinking about this again last night, obsessing (as I sometimes do) about an idea that just won't go away. So I got to thinking about a mythbusters episode my kid was watching about truck bedliner being used for things other than lining the bed of a truck, which led me to the internet..

I found out something interesting..

The human jaw exerts, on average, a bit pressure of 120psi. For comparison, the average canine exerts 320psi, and the great white puts 600psi, and hyena's apply a whopping 1000psi.  So all in all, we (humans) have a pretty weak bite.
To whit, this means that, realistically, you could wear like a double layer or denim, or even a heavy canvas jacket/pants combo or jumpsuit, and you would be protected just fine from a zombie bite. Sure, it may hurt like heck if bit, but it won't break through the material, thus not getting a bite that will cause infection.

I'd still stick with leather on the off chance they break the skin through pressure and your blood mixes with their spit.

I'm a little bias because I'm a firefighter but I think my bunker gear with a pair of duty boots would be ideal. Kevlar stitched nomex. (strong and fire resistant) Loose fitting for mobility and it has three layers of protection to pad against bites. It may be a bit cumbersome to the majority of people but with the duty boots a lot of that would be alleviated and I'm use to wearing it all day so its a good fit for me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A ball gag would really ruin a Zombies good time.

Ball gags for zombies have been discussed in length here
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Kevlar reinforced motorcycle gear would be ideal. Many times stronger than leather and about half the weight. It is also breathable/washable (the latter being important if you are drenched in bacteria ridden zombie gore).
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Any mascot outfit would both repel and confuse a zombie ...it is a 7ft tall bird ???

Picture a guy in a chicken outfit running through town fighting zombies .
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#24]
King Henry the VIII's tourny armor
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any mascot outfit would both repel and confuse a zombie ...it is a 7ft tall bird ???

Picture a guy in a chicken outfit running through town fighting zombies .

"BAWK" "T'm a bird I'm bird" BAWK!" That would be funny ass hell!
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought that was part of a new high end movie ...well done
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My motorcycle gear,

I was lucky enough to test it on pavement this year going 40mph.

It worked!!!

-Dan

BUT DON'T YOU KNOW ZOMBIES CHEW AT 100MPH!
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Some food for thought.

In a Z infested scenario its not just the Zs that we will be cautious over. Its the raping and pillaging village idiots out there. Zs just have numbers in their favor. Bad Guys have weapons making them the larger concern. Most likely if you have access to kevlar and or ballistic plates thats what you will be wearing on Z day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Carpet rolls.  Cheap, easy to find/replace. effective.

You may not look tacticool, but you'll be alive
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is the kind of resourceful thnking that will make you a survivor while others will not be so lucky . I am sure the first human to pick up a stick as a weapon was laughed at .... till he hit someone
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the kind of resourceful thnking that will make you a survivor while others will not be so lucky . I am sure the first human to pick up a stick as a weapon was laughed at .... till he hit someone

Add some of the carpet off those rolls, you'd be bite resistant. Carpet is some tough stuff. Cant remember the name of the book, but a zombie tale I read awhile back was set in post apocalypse, and civilization was basically medieval. When they went "outside the wire" they wore armor made of old carpet and armored up their horses with carpet, too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm going for the Kevlar suit , as strong as chain mail but lighter
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm going for the Kevlar suit , as strong as chain mail but lighter

Just make sure to have a good base layer.  Kevlar can be rather abrasive to the skin.  It is actually a better fire-resistant material than Nomex.  However, Nomex is pushed as the fire-resistant since, in short, it is more comfortable.

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Old solution to a new problem. Chainmail. Now that the make it in aluminum it is a lot lighter and could be actually comfortable to wear (I have an actual complete set and it is a bit... cumbersome.). But combined with a modern helmet, good tall boots and your LBV you are ready to go and have finger tip to toes, and your neck, ears and head are protected.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine it would be like trying to bite through PVC and thus, very effective. I second the motion for storm trooper armour

the hell with PVC ... i like carbon fiber

link
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add some of the carpet off those rolls, you'd be bite resistant. Carpet is some tough stuff. Cant remember the name of the book, but a zombie tale I read awhile back was set in post apocalypse, and civilization was basically medieval. When they went "outside the wire" they wore armor made of old carpet and armored up their horses with carpet, too.

sorry, that's what I ment.....plain ol' carpet (not the cardboard rolls it comes on)

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Drrr. . . Dog bite suit?
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#39]
armored truck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the hell with PVC ... i like carbon fiber

link

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Since some of them want to eat your brains why not a Kevlar helmet?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought one day I would try to make some chainmail. I even made a few hundred rings. Eff that. Seriously. But its what I would want.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kevlar reinforced motorcycle gear would be ideal. Many times stronger than leather and about half the weight. It is also breathable/washable (the latter being important if you are drenched in bacteria ridden zombie gore).

That and the firefighter's gear mentioned ealier seem to be the best options available.

How hot is the Motorcycle gear to wear in the summer?

Not bad,....................... When going fast!!!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Racing jumpsuit with strategically placed riot gear or dirt bike racing Armor on arms and legs. Remember these are zombies not medieval warriors, chainmail is hot and ridiculously heavy. Mobility is absolutely key against zombies, if you can't move well and run fast all the Armor in the world won't save you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#45]

A wise man once said... RAtard...
And with that, he got it right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top