Site Notices
8/29/2014 9:08:28 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 12/5/2011 10:40:28 PM
Most people tend to go with thinking about weapons for zompoc, but has anyone given any thoughts to PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for zombies? Let's hear some suggestions and I'll throw up a poll to see what most people would use and what would be most effective!

Me, I'm thinking chainsaw chaps and a heavy leather duster type jacket.
fxntime
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2011 10:44:07 PM
Originally Posted By 21BoomCBTENGR:
Most people tend to go with thinking about weapons for zompoc, but has anyone given any thoughts to PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for zombies? Let's hear some suggestions and I'll throw up a poll to see what most people would use and what would be most effective!

Good set of slick close fitting MC leathers. Spiked metal ball on a handle.
I do not have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

I feel like I'm living the movie "Idiocracy" with this administration.

"Share the Wealth" my arse, HIDE the wealth is more like it.
21BoomCBTENGR
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2011 10:53:35 PM
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Originally Posted By 21BoomCBTENGR:

Good set of slick close fitting MC leathers. Spiked metal ball on a handle.

I meant chainsaw chaps, not chainsaw, chaps. They're typically made of high strength nylon or Kevlar to prevent you from cutting yourself when operating a chainsaw if you' kick the saw blade back.

This is about armor not weapons, there's plenty of weapon ideas
akuser-47
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2011 10:54:18 PM
some thick leather underneath some full riot gear dress armor full face mask helmet so when you start getting close and personal with the zeds. I think within reason you could somewhat protect yourself but if you have to bulge up like a bomb sqaud suit I think I would rather run like hell live to fight another day!
Hybrid_Flyer
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2011 11:09:51 PM
had given some thought to a full sport bike suit with a lighter helmet (helmet doesnt need to stop major impacts), but that still leaves the neck and hands exposed. Also was thinking about medieval armor "bracers" on the forearms. Was thinking a series of thin 1/16" or 1/32" solid aluminum bars that wrap around the forearms with light padding under them. In case of incoming bite you can shove your fore arm into their maw and they can clamp down all day without fear of puncturing the skin.
Soileater
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2011 11:19:41 PM
My motorcycle gear,

I was lucky enough to test it on pavement this year going 40mph.

It worked!!!

-Dan
toemag
Male Suffragette
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 2:17:29 AM
Call me defeatist, but even if you found the perfect armour to protect you 100% against bites, it will be restrictive and cumbersome, and will require it's own air conditioning.

Tony
A Vote less person of no consequence, whose vote isn't worth a fig in yesterday's dictatorship.

Fear Naught

NC_Andy
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 12:23:44 PM
[Last Edit: 12/6/2011 12:24:39 PM by NC_Andy]
Stormtrooper armor! We all know it's not effective against blaster fire, buy it might be against zombie bites.
MotherDearest
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 1:23:49 PM
Originally Posted By NC_Andy:
Stormtrooper armor! We all know it's not effective against blaster fire, buy it might be against zombie bites.

I would imagine it would be like trying to bite through PVC and thus, very effective. I second the motion for storm trooper armour
Thanks to a broke-leg, buckwild SGT of Marines for the membership.
elktrockn
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 3:42:33 PM
Full Motorcycle leathers.. IE Racing suit.. covers you from top to bottom, except at the neck.. so you'd have to do something there. Lightweight, it's leather or polymer, so it doesn't tear easy, and it's very mobile.

The other option would be some very lightweight chainmail...mebbie made out of aluminum or something.. you don't need very large gauge rings.. mebbie with rings the size of BB's.. it also would be very light and mobile. Much cooler than the leather.
eclark53520
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 4:08:56 PM
Originally Posted By elktrockn:
Full Motorcycle leathers.. IE Racing suit.. covers you from top to bottom, except at the neck.. so you'd have to do something there. Lightweight, it's leather or polymer, so it doesn't tear easy, and it's very mobile.

The other option would be some very lightweight chainmail...mebbie made out of aluminum or something.. you don't need very large gauge rings.. mebbie with rings the size of BB's.. it also would be very light and mobile. Much cooler than the leather.

Sorta...

It's great while you're in a riding position. Running...walking...fighting....not so much.
2-gun
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 4:37:06 PM
I would start with a dirt bike off road suit then reinforce it with 4-6" PVC http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=60i&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1024&bih=625&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=bltZAHKMPFJ4hM:&imgrefurl=http://dontgetbit.wordpress.com/category/zombie-armor/&docid=QgnMca8xS9ZrnM&imgurl=http://dontgetbit.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/battle-armor-1.jpg&w=700&h=910&ei=CIreTvruHsmZ2QXRzvylBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&dur=956&sig=105778731109071622879&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=101&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&tx=125&ty=125&vpx=456&vpy=121&hovh=256&hovw=197

Something as simple as plastic trash cans and PVC would be very effective at making you bite proof . And remember when in dough use duct tape .
Forest
6.8 > 6.5
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 4:59:30 PM
Originally Posted By MotherDearest:
Originally Posted By NC_Andy:

I would imagine it would be like trying to bite through PVC and thus, very effective. I second the motion for storm trooper armour

Fail.

'97 Jeep XJ Owner, former '98 XJ Owner

"Free thinking is great.. that's how the Assault wheelbarrow with silenced .22 rifle was born..." Harv24
BigBore45
Lowspeed,highdrag! hits like a ton of bricks.
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 7:48:25 PM
Chain mail
I'm one of those big,fat bastard's that no self respecting ARf.commer would even consider associating with on the firing line.
Evile
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/6/2011 8:04:11 PM
sharkbite suit. works against shark bites sooo it stands to reason that it would work against zombies. though it might be to heavy to run in
elktrockn
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 4:00:39 PM
So.. I got to thinking about this again last night, obsessing (as I sometimes do) about an idea that just won't go away. So I got to thinking about a mythbusters episode my kid was watching about truck bedliner being used for things other than lining the bed of a truck, which led me to the internet..

I found out something interesting..

The human jaw exerts, on average, a bit pressure of 120psi. For comparison, the average canine exerts 320psi, and the great white puts 600psi, and hyena's apply a whopping 1000psi. So all in all, we (humans) have a pretty weak bite.
To whit, this means that, realistically, you could wear like a double layer or denim, or even a heavy canvas jacket/pants combo or jumpsuit, and you would be protected just fine from a zombie bite. Sure, it may hurt like heck if bit, but it won't break through the material, thus not getting a bite that will cause infection.

BURN
Taco Hack
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 5:32:02 PM
chainmail made from high strength plastic loops...or plastic scale mail
can not breathe
Ecko
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 7:07:59 PM
How funny will it be to watch people running around in Gimp suits after Z-Day.
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
Mark Twain
n0zzle
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 7:18:58 PM
A ball gag would really ruin a Zombies good time.
rkennedy
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:27:20 PM
Originally Posted By elktrockn:
So.. I got to thinking about this again last night, obsessing (as I sometimes do) about an idea that just won't go away. So I got to thinking about a mythbusters episode my kid was watching about truck bedliner being used for things other than lining the bed of a truck, which led me to the internet..

I found out something interesting..

The human jaw exerts, on average, a bit pressure of 120psi. For comparison, the average canine exerts 320psi, and the great white puts 600psi, and hyena's apply a whopping 1000psi. So all in all, we (humans) have a pretty weak bite.
To whit, this means that, realistically, you could wear like a double layer or denim, or even a heavy canvas jacket/pants combo or jumpsuit, and you would be protected just fine from a zombie bite. Sure, it may hurt like heck if bit, but it won't break through the material, thus not getting a bite that will cause infection.

I'd still stick with leather on the off chance they break the skin through pressure and your blood mixes with their spit.

I'm a little bias because I'm a firefighter but I think my bunker gear with a pair of duty boots would be ideal. Kevlar stitched nomex. (strong and fire resistant) Loose fitting for mobility and it has three layers of protection to pad against bites. It may be a bit cumbersome to the majority of people but with the duty boots a lot of that would be alleviated and I'm use to wearing it all day so its a good fit for me.
rkennedy
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:33:27 PM
Originally Posted By n0zzle:
A ball gag would really ruin a Zombies good time.

Ball gags for zombies have been discussed in length here
Gelgoog
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/8/2011 12:15:16 AM
Kevlar reinforced motorcycle gear would be ideal. Many times stronger than leather and about half the weight. It is also breathable/washable (the latter being important if you are drenched in bacteria ridden zombie gore).
2-gun
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/8/2011 10:44:00 AM
Any mascot outfit would both repel and confuse a zombie ...it is a 7ft tall bird ???

Picture a guy in a chicken outfit running through town fighting zombies .
Forest
6.8 > 6.5
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/8/2011 3:33:29 PM
Originally Posted By Gelgoog:
Kevlar reinforced motorcycle gear would be ideal. Many times stronger than leather and about half the weight. It is also breathable/washable (the latter being important if you are drenched in bacteria ridden zombie gore).

That and the firefighter's gear mentioned ealier seem to be the best options available.

How hot is the Motorcycle gear to wear in the summer?
'97 Jeep XJ Owner, former '98 XJ Owner

"Free thinking is great.. that's how the Assault wheelbarrow with silenced .22 rifle was born..." Harv24
Swoosh101
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/8/2011 3:41:26 PM
King Henry the VIII's tourny armor
There is one certain means by which I can be sure to never see my country's ruin; I will die in the last ditch!
akuser-47
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2011 2:21:40 PM
Originally Posted By 2-gun:
Any mascot outfit would both repel and confuse a zombie ...it is a 7ft tall bird ???

Picture a guy in a chicken outfit running through town fighting zombies .

"BAWK" "T'm a bird I'm bird" BAWK!" That would be funny ass hell!
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED