User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

This arrived via the UPS man today

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Klaurie13/IMG_4409.jpg

Ben - you did a great job on it.

the only thing I would like to see different would be black chain (if they make it)

the box said 6 pounds and it certainly feels like that - overall length is 26 inches

I haven't decided if i'm going to wrap the handle or not

might try some of that dip on rubber stuff

if the weather is decent here this weekend, i'll try bashing apart some stuff around the garage with it    

Thanks again Ben - I really appreciate it and will do a further write up in the coming days on my web site

Peter

I'm glad you like it. I'll keep an eye on your website.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not nearly as awesome as the ones in this thread but here is my submission. It's a foot and a half rebar tent stake with a paracord wrapped handle. I'd try to pound it out into a blade if we had a metal shop, but I’m in Kuwait and the don’t let us have nice things

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc391/rev68/iphone193.jpg

I like it, stay safe.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not nearly as awesome as the ones in this thread but here is my submission. It's a foot and a half rebar tent stake with a paracord wrapped handle. I'd try to pound it out into a blade if we had a metal shop, but I’m in Kuwait and the don’t let us have nice things

I like it as well, It'd kill a zed sure enough! And it's be some good cardio man!
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Busy day... War Hammer

Thanks for the support.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Now thats cool
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Two handed kukri.

I like this Ironwood a lot..

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Badass.

Subscribed for updates, you selling these yet?
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
As soon as one of those Gladius goes up, I'm bidding on that, it's mine bitches!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
A kopis would be tits
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

As soon as one of those Gladius goes up, I'm bidding on that, it's mine bitches!!!!!!!

A lot of time goes into those.. Pictures don't do them justice, I don't know if I'll be putting one up at my shop. They are more of a special project.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A kopis would be tits
I could try that...

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah it might be heavy but skulls are thick...

As always enjoy the pictures. BTW it's not that heavy..

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#14]
You must work in a junkyard thats near a harbor freight...?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't know why but I always make things in pairs. Maybe I have in my mind that I'll dual wield these things some day...
Same blade different view, still playing around with the settings on my camera..
Thanks for the support guys..

Want. Hrm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You must work in a junkyard thats near a harbor freight...?

No, but that would make my life a lot easier.

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
A kopis would be tits
I could try that...

I call dibs on the first one you sell
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Go to self help and give a TCN 10 bucks to work on it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Now if i only had a welder! inspirational
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#20]
For close up zombie action.

Little Stubs...

Enjoy the pics...
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#21]

That is very nice. What did you start with to make that. Leaf spring?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That is very nice. What did you start with to make that. Leaf spring?

Thank you. Nah, it's 1095 high carbon left over from some larger stock I had. I usually save the leafy 5160 for swords and such.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know what to call it? It's like a Gladius only smaller. 12" blade 18" overall.

My first try at Homebrew paper micarta.

Let me know what you all think about it. I'm still not sure about the end of the blade being fatter, it's growing on me though. Enjoy the pics..
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
love the handles..it looks bigger than 12" blade....nice work sir keep it up...
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't know what to call it? It's like a Gladius only smaller. 12" blade 18" overall.

Let me know what you all think about it. I'm still not sure about the end of the blade being fatter, it's growing on me though. Enjoy the pics..

that is wicked cool
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#26]
That fatter end blade will cut some shit up I'll bet! The handles look great! Can you show us some of your tools or work space? How the hell do you do this stuff???
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

love the handles..it looks bigger than 12" blade....nice work sir keep it up...

Thank you, When I started to work with the paper micarta I was amazed when I got almost a wood grain look coming through. The paper was a lot easier to sand than the canvas micarta, which equates to easier for me to screw up. At 3/16 thick and 2" at the widest this 1095 is really light so I'm pushing the limits of blade length for sure but she'll do the job. I keep thinking about the shield, have you gotten anywhere with it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is wicked cool
Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes you know?

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That fatter end blade will cut some shit up I'll bet! The handles look great! Can you show us some of your tools or work space? How the hell do you do this stuff???

Today I found out that ledge on the fat end acts like the sweet spot on a baseball bat wack... I'll take some pics of my tools soon, you'll be unimpressed, it's mostly just modded stuff that I've made to make blades. How do I do it? I have these things called elves, I crack the whip and tell them what I want and it appears the next day, got any orders?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Today I found out that ledge on the fat end acts like the sweet spot on a baseball bat wack... I'll take some pics of my tools soon, you'll be unimpressed, it's mostly just modded stuff that I've made to make blades. How do I do it? I have these things called elves, I crack the whip and tell them what I want and it appears the next day, got any orders?

Orders you say??? Hell ya! I sent you an IM a few weeks back my man. Did you get it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

that is wicked cool
Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes you know?

If it need a new home I'll take it

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Orders you say??? Hell ya! I sent you an IM a few weeks back my man. Did you get it?
Negative, never got it I just double checked too, I would have responded right away. Re-send it when you get a chance.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Okay, I got off my butt and started this today. I'm calling it the Reverse Tanto Workhorse. 5" blade 10" overall 2"wide at the widest part of the blade. 1/4 thick High Carbon 5160. It's a little dull right now. I'll keep the updates going as I build this one.

Darn... Grinder got away from me today while grinding the back bevel. I tried to fix it but I'm not happy, I ended up having to take too much off of the back to make it work. The tip is too thin, thickness wise. I might turn this into a small seax to save the material. I'll post pics of my screw up later.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 4:43:38 AM EDT
[#34]
That would actually make a nice kitchen knife/ veggie slicer.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#35]

It's a little hard to tell but it got really thin at the tip.

I think I'm just going to go with it as is, I really like the design and I was making this for myself. As far as a slicer I don't think it could get much better. A stabber? I'm sure going to find out. This should be a good test of the material.

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

After going through about 3 harbor freight cheapo buffers I decided to make this beast.  I had this nice little 5hp motor sitting around from a compressor that threw a rod. A little lathe work, welding and some elbow grease netted me this little machine.

I'll put up some more tools later.

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

After going through about 3 harbor freight cheapo buffers I decided to make this beast.  I had this nice little 5hp motor sitting around from a compressor that threw a rod. A little lathe work, welding and some elbow grease netted me this little machine.

I'll bet that thing buffs things up quick!
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It'll throw a blade across the shop in about 2 seconds flat.

Btw... Damn man, your mailman comes late!

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Do perform any hardening operation on the blade?

http://www.keytometals.com/articles/art12.htm

1055 or any other 1000 series steel is soft unless it is hardened through heating and quenching.

Anyway, that is some really cool stuff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to put these up on Etsy.. 16.25" around 2lbs very nice handling.

Black.

Chrome.

Here's an old friend I refinished.

Too much fun..

I like the first black one. Probably like it the most out of anything in this thread so far.
That is saying something though because all of these you are posting are awesome!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

1055 or any other 1000 series steel is soft unless it is hardened through heating and quenching.

Absolutely, All my 1055 and 1095 etc.. is sent out for heat treat. The 5160 I use is easy enough to harden and temper at my shop so I handle that. I will send out a sample from time to time to make sure I'm getting the hardness I want with process I use. Thanks for the link though I enjoy reading everything I can about steel and how to make it perform better.

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#42]
This thread is sweet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely, All my 1055 and 1095 etc.. is sent out for heat treat. The 5160 I use is easy enough to harden and temper at my shop so I handle that. I will send out a sample from time to time to make sure I'm getting the hardness I want with process I use. Thanks for the link though I enjoy reading everything I can about steel and how to make it perform better.

Cool. You should try to find some bars of 9254 spring steel. That would make an almost indestructible weapon.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh ya, he comes in the dark man! But, how did you know that?

Edit: to keep this thread on track. Are there other ways of heat treating metal? Other then the heat and quench method?
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh ya, he comes in the dark man! But, how did you know that?

Edit: to keep this thread on track. Are there other ways of heat treating metal? Other then the heat and quench method?

When you say heat treat do you mean harden? Blacksmiths have cold formed steel armor for hundreds of years. The process of repeatedly pounding and shaping actually changed the hardness of the steel without heat. For Blades at least as far as I know heating and quenching then tempering is the only way to go. If you ever want to try to make a knife I can certainly get you started in the right direction.

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. You should try to find some bars of 9254 spring steel. That would make an almost indestructible weapon.
I'll check it out but I have yet to break anything I have made out of 5160, and I have really really tried...

Link Posted: 1/15/2012 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Godrilla47, I'll just answer this way to eliminate all the boxes.

Ya, I meant harden. sorry. I took 3 years of metals shop in High School, you think I'd remember some of this stuff. I didn't know that the working of the metal made it harder, I thought the water tank was the only way. I just remember that we did a lot of foundry stuff.

Edit: High School was a long time ago!
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Godrilla47, I'll just answer this way to eliminate all the boxes.

Ya, I meant harden. sorry. I took 3 years of metals shop in High School, you think I'd remember some of this stuff. I didn't know that the working of the metal made it harder, I thought the water tank was the only way. I just remember that we did a lot of foundry stuff.

Edit: High School was a long time ago!

To elaborate on the subject of hardening a little. The process in which you obtain your desired hardness are different across the board for different alloys of steel. The heat treatment process will also vary depending on the desired effect you want on the steel. Also, the quenching medium changes with the alloy of steel as well. Some steels are fine with water quenching others need specific quenching oils or even canola oil. I really try to keep it simple so I tend to choose steels that are easier to heat treat because I want my hands in as much as I can when making a blade. Metal shop was my favorite class..  well that and co/ed PE.

Link Posted: 1/15/2012 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP
I'll check it out but I have yet to break anything I have made out of 5160, and I have really really tried...

That is great that you are performing the right metallurgical treatment to these weapons instead of just making cool looking pieces of metal.

Here is the difference between 5160, 9254 and 9260. They all have high carbon and high chrome, the 92XX's have a lot of silicon in them.

.............Carbon.......Chrome.........Silicon

5160....0.56-0.64.....0.70-0.90......0.15-0.35

9254....0.51-0.59.....0.70-0.90......1.80-2.20

9260....0.56-0.64.....0.70-0.90......1.80-2.20

I used to work for an SBQ (special bar quality) steelmaker. We made all of these exotic steel grades, everything just short of stainless.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

That is great that you are performing the right metallurgical treatment to these weapons instead of just making cool looking pieces of metal.

Here is the difference between 5160, 9254 and 9260. They all have high carbon and high chrome, the 92XX's have a lot of silicon in them.

.............Carbon.......Chrome.........Silicon

5160....0.56-0.64.....0.70-0.90......0.15-0.35

9254....0.51-0.59.....0.70-0.90......1.80-2.20

9260....0.56-0.64.....0.70-0.90......1.80-2.20

I used to work for an SBQ (special bar quality) steelmaker. We made all of these exotic steel grades, everything just short of stainless.
You got any good stuff laying around?

Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top