Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2016 11:03:14 AM EDT
U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio is introducing another bill aimed at preventing suspected terrorists from buying weapons, this time with a 10-year look-back provision on anyone who had previously been investigated.

The bill, dubbed the Terror Intelligence Improvement Act, would require federal agencies to coordinate efforts so anyone investigated for terrorism by any federal agency in the past decade would be flagged if he or she tries to buy a gun or explosive. There would be a three-day delay on that purchase while federal authorities determine whether to go to court to seek a permanent injunction against the purchase.

Rubio, the Florida Republican running for re-election against Democratic U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy, said the effort was a response to the June 12 shooting massacre at Orlando’s popular gay nightclub, Pulse. On that morning ISIS-pledging, gay-hating Omar Mateen shot up the club, killing 49 people and wounding 53 others. He had previously been investigated by the FBI for possible terrorist links, and bought his weapons only a few days before the massacre.

“After the Orlando terrorist attack, I met with Fred and Maria Wright, who shared with me the story of their son Jerry and the unimaginable pain they carry after losing him that night,” Rubio stated in a news release issued by his Senate office. “The Wrights made a simple request: that we improve our laws, so it is more difficult for evil people to get ahold of guns. I told them I would continue working toward consensus on commonsense measures that would help ensure criminals, terrorists and others seeking to take innocent lives are not able to acquire firearms.”

The bill has not yet been assigned a number.

“Today, I’m taking another step toward fulfilling my promise to the Wright family, by introducing legislation that builds on some of the best ideas that have been proposed, and improves them in ways that I hope will make a bipartisan solution more likely,” Rubio continued. “This bill would achieve everyone’s goal of making it harder for suspected terrorists to buy guns, and do so without violating the due process and Second Amendment rights of innocent, law-abiding Americans.”

Numerous gun bills introduced by Republicans and Democrats since June 12 all have died amid partisan disagreement, with Rubio siding on Republican-backed bills and Murphy siding on Democratic bills.

Read more at: Florida Politics.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
And who decides who gets on that list, is there due process for those on the list, how difficult is it to be removed if there is no reason for one to be on that list?  Same as the no fly list.  Rubio needs to do some homework before he puts his mouth right where the sun don't shine.

I have zero problems with bad guys not having access to firearms or fly, but that list damn well better be accurate and not up to the whims of .gov.

Rubio is a pandering idiot, Murphy makes Rubio look great.  We are so screwed.

Murphy should get an NRA F, Rubio should get a D.  But what do I know, I have both of them currently in my district and state.

Edit: thanks for posting this MM
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
And where's that database of "suspected terrorists"? From the files, obtain form 4473.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No matter what they promise, that list is nothing more than a LEO suspect list based on profiles.

There is no due process and never will be, because that will tip LE hand on who they are watching. It will never change. Any promise of change is nothing less than an intentional lie to bypass due process furthering the disarming of whomever they want to disarm.

Fuck Rubio and everyone that supports this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, that list has been said to be very inaccurate. What if they add people to that list just for ranting on an online forum like this one? They could just add us to that list, then they do their little investigation and decide we are not a threat and BAM, no guns for us!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
More gun laws, just what America needs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top