Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 11:02:12 AM EDT

Constitutional carry bill defeated in Virginia Senate

STAUNTON, VA (WHSV)--- There were 20 "yeas" and 20 "nays" cast in the upper house of the Virginia General Assembly building in Richmond Monday.

The votes were regarding Senate Bill 48. The measure would have done away with the state's concealed handgun permit requirement.

Jim Wood is a firearms instructor in Augusta County. He said the second amendment already guarantees this right. "The framers of our country, that's what they intended for us as citizens so we don't become subjects," said Wood.

All 19 senate democrats voted against the bill, while 20 of 21 senate republicans were for it. The swing vote was republican senator Emmett Hanger. He represents the 24th district, covering parts of Rockingham and Augusta Counties. With all the votes in, a tie breaker vote was needed. Lieutenant Governor Ralph Northam cast that decisive vote, striking the proposed bill down.

Hanger has an "A" rating with the NRA, and on his campaign website he says he is an advocate for second amendment rights.

Wood said he is surprised by Hanger's vote. "To see that he would vote against a Constitutional carry Bill, for that to happen yeah it kind of shocks folks.”

Right now, to get a concealed weapons permit, you have to take a class and go through a background check. Woods said the extra check is excessive. "If they already know who you are, what difference does it make if you get an extra piece of paper other than it creates revenue for the state?"

We reached out to Senator Hanger's office for comment on his vote. As of Monday evening we were still waiting to hear back.

Read more at: WHSV

Once again.......another case of "friendly fire."  Another RINO bringing down defeat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, we had 'Republicans' actually vote against the bill.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I feel your pain brother....so-called Republicans do it all the time here in New York!

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Come to the dark side... we have cyanide cookies.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I feel your pain brother....so-called Republicans do it all the time here in New York!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And they bring cookies.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Come to the dark side... we have cyanide cookies.  
View Quote

As brother Doppleganger knows all to well.......when they run for re-election, it's the old "I'm a hunter, sportsmen or shot "marksman" in the Boy Scouts.... so I would never abandon
(again) your Second Amendment rights!  Uhmmmm, Sir/Madam....You do know that the Second Amendment has nothing whatsoever to do with hunting don't you??

CRICKETS!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top