Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2015 2:09:02 PM EDT
The Washington Post board of editors published an editorial from itself today that urged further gun control measures.  Frankly, I found it alarming, incendiary and utterly misdirected and it incited me to respond among the comments.

I'll state my position on gun control below if anyone is interested (and I stated it plainly enough among the comments on WAPO).  But what agitated me the most, given my patriotic nature, responsible gun ownership, my teaching my family responsible gun ownership and my military service, was to be personally vilified on a public forum by gun haters.  My character, intelligence and good responsible sense were viciously called into question by people who have absolutely no idea who I am and who most gun owners I know are.  One even suggested that my attitude about gun ownership made me culpable for untold gun murders in America.

OK.  That was enough.  I stopped being an NRA member once or twice in my life; once when I joined the Marines during the Vietnam war as a private in the infantry (Marine privates didn't make much $$$ back then) and again when was equally impoverished by going to graduate school in a medical school.

But I joined again today after that senseless impeachment of my character and intelligence by gun-haters.

And, I took considerable pleasure of posting on that same comments section that I'd joined again mostly because I found their character assassination of gun owners unseemly in the extreme.  I also let on that I'd gotten a free year's subscription to the digital edition of American Rifleman and a small folder in the bargain.

Then I explained that, in my case and in perhaps many cases, their senseless personal attacks were having the opposite effect to the intention of their cause...their fanaticism reflected in their personal attacks actually promoted solidarity among responsible gun owners, increased membership in the NRA and proved self-defeating to their cause.  I sincerely believe that.

Now, I'm a proud member of the NRA again and when the wife gets home I'll ask her to join too.

OK, I promised a statement on my position on gun ownership.  And, I don't mean to offend anyone with my views.

But my view is that after 9/11 American citizens have seen through many leaked documents and exposes and news reports how totalitarian our Federal government is and perhaps always was.  And, despite my previous posts here urging restraint in facing down the U.S. military and suggesting other equally and perhaps even more effective means or resistance, I AM COMPLETELY CERTAIN THAT THOSE OTHER MEANS WOULD HAVE NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER ON THE BEHAVIOR OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WITHOUT THE IMPLICIT THREAT OF INSURRECTION AND ARMED RESISTANCE THAT OUR OWNERSHIP OF FIREARMS CONVEYS.

I believe that when the President of the NRA once called the Federal Government jack-booted thugs he was on to something, despite how roundly he was criticized for those comments.  His statements presaged what we now know was going on all the time under secrecy.

I'm proud to be an NRA member again today.

LF
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
hopefully when the time is right you will become a life member.  There are times when you can do it for a reduced amount.  When that happens I would be proud to send you the info.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome back.  We can use your help.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top