Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2015 12:02:39 PM EDT
AY LAKE -- In revving up Florida Democrats gathered at Walt Disney World for their annual convention this weekend, U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz made an impassioned appeal for the party to push for gun control.

Wasserman Schultz, who chairs the Democratic National Committee, spoke on most of Democratic causes on the second day of the Florida Democratic Party’s convention at Walt Disney World’s Yacht and Beach Club conference center.

But her statements to tie widespread gun ownership to mass shootings, and to 30,000 gun deaths a year, most of them among African Americans, brought more applause than all other issues.

“Democrats! We must close the gun show loophole! Democrats! We must require background checks for all gun purchases!” Wasserman Schultz, of Weston, demanded. “We can’t sit idly by and allow thousands and thousands of lives to be mowed down!”

The issue of gun control resonated loudly among the hundreds of delegates listening, drawing thunderous standing ovation for Wasserman Schultz, as well as for the next speaker, state representative candidate Carlos Guillermo Smith, running in District 49 in east Orange County, when he pushed the same message.

But Wasserman Schultz, who is close friends with former U.S. Rep. Gabby Giffords, who was shot in a mass shooting in Arizona, made the issue personal, and it resonated.

“We must, for our children, for my children and your children, and the grandbabies I see so many of you carrying, we have to take guns out of the hands of convicted stalkers, the domestic abusers and the criminals,” she said.

Read more at: Orlando Sentinel
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
       Edited out General Discussion Type Commentary.............dpmmn    
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
She makes me want to .  Luckily not my congresscritter.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe she should support legislation to stop plea-bargain loopholes for killers, murders, and gun traffickers.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Every genocide was proceeded by disarmament of the people.  Never forget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top