Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2015 1:43:15 PM EDT

Well I'll be a Communist Iranian!!!??!!

MOUNT VERNON, Iowa – Ratcheting up her attack on the nation’s gun lobbyists, Hillary Clinton on Wednesday said the National Rifle Association is as stubborn in its negotiating stance as “the Iranians or the communists.”

Mrs. Clinton got at a question at a town hall-style campaign event from a woman who said President Barack Obama seemed “so sad” and “sounded so tired” when discussing a shooting rampage at Umpqua Community College in Oregon last week that left nine people dead.

“How will you keep from being sad and tired?” the woman asked Mrs. Clinton, the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

“I think by being angry and determined,” Mrs. Clinton said.

Earlier this week, Mrs. Clinton rolled out a package of measures meant to strengthen regulation of gun sales through legislation or executive action.

In her comments here, she urged gun owners to break with the NRA and form a separate organization that would support gun ownership while promoting legislation aimed at preventing mass shootings. She went on to give a blistering account of the NRA’s business model, saying it acts cynically to stoke fears among gun owners that government agents flying in “black helicopters” are poised to confiscate their weapons.

“The NRA tries to keep gun owners – the ones who are members – really upset all the time so they can keep collecting their money, because they tell them they’re the only thing that’s going to stop the black helicopters from landing in the front yard and people’s guns being seized,” she said. “That’s the argument they make. And it works with some people and it has turned a lot of people into absolutists themselves.”

The NRA didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

In reply to the question about Mr. Obama’s demeanor, Mrs. Clinton drew a subtle distinction between how the president responded to the latest gun massacre and how she would act if elected president.

She said it’s understandable he would feel “discouraged. “ She vowed to bring sustained energy to the issue if she wins the White House.

“I know why the president feels discouraged, because it is discouraging to see the cynicism, the greed, behind this lobbying,” she said. “And that’s why we can’t let them get away with it. We can’t just say, ‘OK, nothing we can do about it,’ and walk away. We’ve got to fight back.”

Mrs. Clinton’s vehemence is a shift in tone from her first presidential bid in 2008. In that race, she occasionally sounded more pessimistic about the prospects for substantial changes in the nation’s gun laws.

In a Democratic presidential debate in January 2008, she said she was “against illegal guns,” but added, “I also am a political realist and I understand that the political winds are very powerful against doing enough to try to get guns off the street, get them out of the hands of young people.”

After her remarks, former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley’s campaign released a statement suggesting he would be tougher when it comes to dealing with the NRA.

“ It’s no secret that the NRA named Governor O’Malley the “top menace” to their cause because he has proven he will not back down to them, and that’s what he will continue to do as president,” the O’Malley campaign said.

Read more at: WSJ

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
“The NRA tries to keep gun owners – the ones who are members – really upset all the time so they can keep collecting their money, because they tell them they’re the only thing that’s going to stop the black helicopters from landing in the front yard and people’s guns being seized,” she said. “That’s the argument they make. And it works with some people and it has turned a lot of people into absolutists themselves.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought something smelled foul when I was outside today.

She's in the state.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
So the NRA has the old hag frustrated - good sounds like they are doing something right.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought she liked Iran and the Communists? Isn't this a compliment?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top