Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2016 10:12:18 PM EDT
I hope this is the right subforum. While my american history teacher did her best to cover the wars, she did all she could with the time allotted.

My question is that. I understand having a draft for WWII. It was either that, or the world would go to crap.

But I don't understand the need for a draft in Korea and Vietnam. I get that they were proxy wars, I.E. Communism vs Freedom and I am sure there were treaties involved, but what if the USA just didn't draft people and just tempt new recruits via compensation etc?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably because we were more fiscally responsible then.  Another reason is that, that that was the way things had always been done for the most part.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The draft is the reason we didn't have to do 15 combat tours like today's volunteers do. One tour is enough for 99% of soldiers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
WWII was the last conflict we had any real interest in getting involved in. Drafts are horrible for public opinion of a conflict, for obvious reasons. Lots of people like to eat the omelet (or watch it on TV), but very few people want to have to crack the eggs.

As fat and out of the shape as American youth are (forget about people in their 30's), a modern draftee would probably have to be sent to a fat camp for several months or given liposuction prior to going to boot camp.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It just to be Citizen-Soldiers then.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By usmcmp:

The draft is the reason we didn't have to do 15 combat tours like today's volunteers do. One tour is enough for 99% of soldiers.
View Quote

Buddy do you got this one ever so fucking right!!!!!^^^^^^
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:05:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ztug] [#6]
Originally Posted By midcap:
I hope this is the right subforum. While my american history teacher did her best to cover the wars, she did all she could with the time allotted.

My question is that. I understand having a draft for WWII. It was either that, or the world would go to crap.

But I don't understand the need for a draft in Korea and Vietnam. I get that they were proxy wars, I.E. Communism vs Freedom and I am sure there were treaties involved, but what if the USA just didn't draft people and just tempt new recruits via compensation etc?
View Quote

How much do you think you would have to pay a private to "Volunteer" to go to Vietnam in the numbers that they wanted? Or reenlist for multiple tours? They even had peace time draft (Cold War) between the shooting wars. "From 1940 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the armed forces that could not be filled through voluntary means."
And then there was this....."Government leaders felt the potential for a draft was a critical element in maintaining a constant flow of volunteers. On numerous occasions Gen. Hershey told Congress for every man drafted, three or four more were scared into volunteering. Assuming his assessment was accurate, this would mean over 11 million men volunteered for service because of the draft between January 1954 and April 1975."
I know that my dad "Volunteered" for the USN because he did't want to be drafted into the Army.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I doubt they would do a draft if they thought they could meet their recruiting goals without it.  
My dad was drafted into the Marines in 1951.  He went in and thought he was going into the army like everyone else.  A Marine sergeant came into the room and asked for 10 volunteers.  He got none.  After they all did their physical the sergeant came back into the room and looked at the paperwork and the exams.  He picked the ten skinniest guys.  The good news was that he got to go home for a few days first.  (The army guys all had to ship out that day.)  The bad news was he was going to be in the Marines.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
When WWII ended there was a large combat experienced well of manpower to make the draft function exceptionally well. The Vietnam War soured the draft for many reasons. The public's lack of support for the draft forced a huge increase in funding to meet recruiting and retention needs of the professional forces. The result was a reduced size professional military that costs way more and no longer able be a deterrent to the likes of Russia in Crimea, China in the South and East China Seas, North Korea, global Islamic terrorism, etc.

There is not a country in the world that pays its troops what we do. Call up an infantry National Guard brigade for combat and it would take at least a year to be combat ready. They are undermanned, some units exist only on paper, while lacking equipment and training funds. The drafted troops train up for Korea was less than 3 months. While we are playing Whack-a-mole around the world and our allies all but bankrupt, our enemies are spending far less of their GDP and gaining in power and global control. They all take advantage of the draft to keep costs down. China can pay 9 of their lowest ranking soldiers for the cost of 1 US soldier.

The draft is no panacea and clearly has its minuses, but we can never pay for the professional military size needed to do what we did on two fronts in WWII. That is a economic reality.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
both WW1 &WW2 military command planning counted on the number of men you could have in position by day 30 day 60, & day 90 ect.

the draft was the key to keeping the funnel filled. in the days before 1 plane could destroy a city.

by Vietnam, the draft was not only unpopular but was crating a less capable soldier at all levels.

the ability to cherry-pick the best individuals is now key to our military not the mass numbers we had before.

as of today If you can qualify to join any service you are in theory fully capable of being qualified to be a green beret or delta operator. the ASVAB & physical scores are very similar.if not identical.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Disgruntled_vet:
WWII was the last conflict we had any real interest in getting involved in. Drafts are horrible for public opinion of a conflict, for obvious reasons. Lots of people like to eat the omelet (or watch it on TV), but very few people want to have to crack the eggs.

As fat and out of the shape as American youth are (forget about people in their 30's), a modern draftee would probably have to be sent to a fat camp for several months or given liposuction prior to going to boot camp.
View Quote
We had a guy in basic that was obese to the max. don't know who he even got that far. Well, all he could do for the rope climb was hold it and lean a little bit. I heard he was put back at least once and then move to a pharmacy position.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Disgruntled_vet:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My cousin was the last man drafted in the US. Vietnam was pretty much over so he ended up in Korea.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Any way to find out what your Draft number was for the Vietnam war.I wasnt drafted came close but just wanted to find out my Selective service draftnumber.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 26120:
Any way to find out what your Draft number was for the Vietnam war.I wasnt drafted came close but just wanted to find out my Selective service draftnumber.
View Quote
Just type in "draft lottery numbers" and the year you are interested in to find your lottery number for that year.  Each date of the year is assigned a number, and your number is determined by your birthday.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 26120:
View Quote
I joined the USN at the age of 17 because carrying an M-16 in the jungle really did not appeal to me.  Probably a good thing.  I just looked it up.  My draft number would have been 092.

As it turned out I did work a flight deck in Tonkin Gulf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top