Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it really depends on how much prepping you do, and what your particular situation is.

For me, I spent years doing a lot of deep backcountry backpacking and kayaking trips.  The same equipment from that hobby sets me up well for a lot of the standards like fires, foraging, first aid, and water purification. If you're already into firearms, then that aspect is likely accounted for decently.  If you are into fishing, again, there's a bunch of equipment choices where you can easily lean into making your equipment more portable and otherwise prepper appropriate.

There is a balance where you're prepared, but also not emptying your retirement account to build the backyard bunker filled to the brim with rations and iodine tablets in case Russia launches the nukes.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SD307:

misses the point entirely car insurance is required by law prepping is not

as with everything there is a line of diminishing returns prep as comfortable but do you need 4 tons of firewood a suv size generator and 400 gallons of gas [probably not
View Quote

Ok- change it health insurance or life insurance, fire extinguisher, handgun/shotgun whatever- he didn't miss the point- you did.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ops] [#3]
This is Florida, we have hurricanes here.  It's foolish  not to prep for at least a week.  However...8 work in an auto parts store.  If we have a storm forecast, we start selling generators and gas cans...and after the storm the same idiots want to return the generator and gas cans when obviously used...  

I keep a 90 day supply of long term food storage, water cans that I've never used, and stock up on gasoline in June to keep it fresh.  I need to get my antique generator going.  My storage shed looks like a hardware store..    I have guns and ammo.   Guess which gets used first....
Serious preps are food, water, and shelter...
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope it's a waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
ive been slowly stocking up food and other stuff, i live in an apartment so dont have a ton, but atleast a years worth. i want to have just enough to where if i needed too, i can load most of my food and ammo and clothes into on load in my vehicle, which is just a sedan and head toward my families place in Louisiana in the middle of nowhere. But i will say, stocking up on food allows you to also help others. i live in Clarksville TN, and not sure how many know it but we just had a recent tornado rip through parts of our town and bits of nashville as well a month ago. i was able to take an 18gal plastic tote full of canned food to a local school that was a shelter to donate food, and it didnt put me in a bind because i had enough. i am a single man and live with one room mate so i dont have to worry about wife or kids etc yet. But i believe in helping others so that when it comes your time to need it, you are likely to find others willing to help you. be your neighbors keeper so that those neighbors will back up their other neighbors as well, and eventually you have a stronger community that looks out for each other rather then a bunch of individualistic folks who just think of themselves and screw the rest type of mindset.

and i now many people have the mindset of not helping those who dont help themselves when they can, however in the event mentioned above, its very possible some of those who lost their homes where prepared and had plenty, but against something like a Tornado, your preps may mean shit.

also in a country where "gun owners" or "preppers" are viewed as evil domestic terrorists or white supremecists etc, it helps us when we act the opposite, such as providing security for neighborhoods in the event of disasters, or helping to prevent looting etc. Help those out that may have had a negative view on us, and who knows maybe their views change from that point on and thus can spread to others waking up as well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top