Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2010 10:10:01 PM EDT
My cat constantly dumps his water bowl. I don't know if he trys to move it or what he's doing but the floor is always soaked. anyone elses furballs do this? know why?
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
He may prefer running water.  Try getting one of those flowing cat water bowls, bet that solves the problem as it did for mine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my cats always does this little ground-scratching ritual before he'll drink from a bowl. When he gets all wacked up on catnip, he smacks the bowl around and steps in it and moves it around. Maybe your cat does some combination of the two, or maybe he's trying to move the bowl. Refill his bowl and hang around near it 'till he goes for a drink, maybe he's just trying to get a better angle on it or something.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
[quote]Quoted:
One of my cats always does this little ground-scratching ritual before he'll drink from a bowl. When he gets all wacked up on catnip, he smacks the bowl around and steps in it and moves it around. Maybe your cat does some combination of the two, or maybe he's trying to move the bowl. Refill his bowl and hang around near it 'till he goes for a drink, maybe he's just trying to get a better angle on it or something.[/quote]

That's what my wife and I thought until I saw him do it. He walks up and grabs onto the edge as best he can and tries to pull it toward him. Unfortunately for him he has no opposeable thumbs :)
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of my cats always does this little ground-scratching ritual before he'll drink from a bowl. When he gets all wacked up on catnip, he smacks the bowl around and steps in it and moves it around. Maybe your cat does some combination of the two, or maybe he's trying to move the bowl. Refill his bowl and hang around near it 'till he goes for a drink, maybe he's just trying to get a better angle on it or something.

One of my wife's cats will drink from the bowl normally.

The other cat will scratch at the base of the bowl with both paws until finally drinking (both paws alternating pretty quickly).

Here's my theory OP:   The cat is trying to make the surface of the water move so they can see it.  Instead of making a move to drink and sticking their nose too far into the water, they'll make the surface ripple so they approach from the correct heighth.We bought a unspillable bowl from Wal-Mart.  Got tired of the tupper ware container being flipped over by the dogs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#5]
One of our cats moves the water bowl also. Moves it two feet sometimes. Spills water all over the place.

It's a big heavy bowl because it's also for the dogs.

My wife finally bought a place mat that won't let the bowl slide on the tile.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my wife's cats will drink from the bowl normally.

The other cat will scratch at the base of the bowl with both paws until finally drinking (both paws alternating pretty quickly).

Here's my theory OP:   The cat is trying to make the surface of the water move so they can see it.  Instead of making a move to drink and sticking their nose too far into the water, they'll make the surface ripple so they approach from the correct heighth.We bought a unspillable bowl from Wal-Mart.  Got tired of the tupper ware container being flipped over by the dogs.

You know I think this theory holds water (haha). We just moved into a new place that the cats are not used to. Last night the same cat that spills the water was running around and ran right into the glass door for the tv cabinent that was open. Didnt even see it, plowed face first right into it. I think your right! Getting a flowing water bowl tomorrow.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Our cat loved either running water, or bubbling water.  If we left the faucet in the bathtub to drip, the cat would love to drink there and watch the water.  Eventually, we got an aquarium bubbler and put into the cat's water dish..the cat was forever happy with the water situation after that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
My cat likes to dab it's paws into the water to find where the level of the water is before it drinks.

It also throws it's cat food on the floor to chase it around for 5 minutes before eating one crinkle/crunchy at a time.

I think the cat is trying desperately to earn it's name.   I've had it since November and it still hasn't earned it's name yet, waiting for it to do something insanely stupid or routine or ritualistic before naming it.

/edit
We had one cat named "stinky" who quite literally stunk like pond moss.   Then there was "chuck" who would piss you off while trying to pet him so you'd chuck him off of you, only to have him return 10 seconds later for revenge only to get chucked off of you again.

No shit, this post has almost given me the name I think due to the damned water bowl.

This cat may get named "Dip" or "Dippy".
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He may prefer running water.  Try getting one of those flowing cat water bowls, bet that solves the problem as it did for mine.

+1

I got mine a Drinkwell Platinum and he loves it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

My wife picked one up the other day. Our two fur bags are in love with it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

My wife picked one up the other day. Our two fur bags are in love with it.

Same here.

They stand over it and drink from the cascade, and paw at the pond.

Must be some instinctive act of drinking from a stream..................

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Like was said above they seem to have a problem seeing water that is it not moving.  I saw a cat documentary that said their up close vision is not so good.  This may be the case as I've given cats food/treats and alot of times they have to sniff for it.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top