Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 6/13/2017 5:30:30 PM EDT
Went camping this past weekend and my wife's dog whined all the damn time.  She's pretty high strung as it is, and camping stresses her out.  Her constant whining totally ruins what should be a relaxing weekend.

She's a 6 year-old rescue and we've tried and tried to get her used to camping...to no avail.

Putting her in a kennel when we go camping is a no-go, so I'm looking for advice on giving her some type of meds...doggie downers.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a full time practice, the Caesar Millan method works for us.

Exercise > Discipline > Affection
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a gsd that is hyperactive
I just dropped her off at the kennel today
I'm expecting a call that she needs medication by tomorrow
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Why was the dog whining? Bored, scared ?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Trazadone
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you considered that a camping trip is how she became a rescue in the first place?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you looked into one of those doggie squeeze sweaters/coats that can help with thunder?  Don't know the real name of them off the top of my head.  It's like the dog is getting hugged all the time.  I have heard from people it can help.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Exercise, lots of it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
You can try a new drug called Sileo. It calms dogs down pretty well, and maybe after one good experience she'll like camping. Ask your vet.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/sileo/administration.aspx

My dog whined in the car constantly. After one dose and a car ride (where she smiled the whole time heh) she does much better now, almost never whining in the car. I think this med has a lot of potential.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top