Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 11:31:25 AM EDT
Which mean probably all of them have it.

Best cheapest remedy?  Any home made remedies?  Flea/tick collars are also part of the solution since that's how they usually get it.

I plan to take her to the Vet Monday assuming I can get an appointment.

TIA.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You could mix some food-grade diatomaceous earth into wet food, it'll kill tapeworms and other parasites.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks to me that we have a winner:  https://www.vetinfo.com/using-diatomaceous-earth-to-worm-pets.html

Anyone know of any downsides?  It just so happens I have  25 lb bag of DE.  I got it for my chickens, so I have to check and ensure it's food grade.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
my cat had them also, got a shot at the vet

vet said he will most likely get them again as hes an outdoor cat and kills/eats everything in sight
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy tapeworm tabs at the store.  Petsmart etc.  Not super cheap but one per cat should do the trick.

FYI they get them from swallowing fleas when the groom.  If you have a flea problem you won't be able to keep the tapeworms from coming back.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my cat had them also, got a shot at the vet

vet said he will most likely get them again as hes an outdoor cat and kills/eats everything in sight
View Quote
Yeah outdoor cats will keep getting them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I buy tapeworm tabs at the store.  Petsmart etc.  Not super cheap but one per cat should do the trick.

FYI they get them from swallowing fleas when the groom. If you have a flea problem you won't be able to keep the tapeworms from coming back.
View Quote
Yep, learned that fleas are a necessary part of the tapeworm cycle.  I'll be getting flea and tick collars today.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Are those the ones that look like sesame seeds falling out of their anus?

Wifes indoor cat got those... once .....feral, found in the lake bed behind the house, brought home, stays outside adopted junk yard cat never got them!....
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are those the ones that look like sesame seeds falling out of their anus?

Wifes indoor cat got those... once .....feral, found in the lake bed behind the house, brought home, stays outside adopted junk yard cat never got them!....
View Quote
To me they looked like small long white rice.  

Got her treated, cats all have F&T collars, starting food grade DE tomorrow for all animals (3 dogs, 8 cats and 13 chickens)
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had 2 cats sneeze tapeworm segments out their noses, apparently they were grooming and the segments either got directly in their noses or made it their from their mouths. A huge sneezing fit ensued, and then there's this sort of undulating, shortening & lengthening thing on the floor (or sneezed onto my glasses while I was in the shower.)
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I buy the tabs a Tractor Supply. I can't remember the name of the drug in them but they're made by Bayer. It's something like Prazinquatel?

Its pretty cool, it allows them to just digest the tapeworm. It's very fast

I also get booster shots for them at Tractor Supply. They keep them in a locked fridge
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Dbl
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I buy the tabs a Tractor Supply. I can't remember the name of the drug in them but they're made by Bayer. It's something like Prazinquatel?

Its pretty cool, it allows them to just digest the tapeworm. It's very fast

I also get booster shots for them at Tractor Supply. They keep them in a locked fridge
View Quote
How much does that stuff cost?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How much does that stuff cost?

Thanks,
View Quote
I believe it was around $20 at Tractor Supply

The were 6 pills in the bottle and it only took 1/2 a pill for my small cat

I also found out today that Tractor Supply has a mobile vet clinic. At my local store they come in biweekly on Sunday. I happened to be their to buy dog food and saw it. I had my 9 week old Pup with me and I got her microchipped for $19
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I believe it was around $20 at Tractor Supply

The were 6 pills in the bottle and it only took 1/2 a pill for my small cat

I also found out today that Tractor Supply has a mobile vet clinic. At my local store they come in biweekly on Sunday. I happened to be their to buy dog food and saw it. I had my 9 week old Pup with me and I got her microchipped for $19
View Quote
Sorry for being so pedantic:  But was that $20 for 6 pills or $20/pill?  I went to the vet for Jelly and the vet cost for one pill was $20.  Cheapest I found it on the 'net was around $16 IRC.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Our cat is strictly outdoors (feral cat that has adopted us) and that cat has had tapeworms every day for the last 8 years. Never even attempted to treat them.

But the cat barfed up a bird a few months ago, with what looked like a spaghetti noodle
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:38:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry for being so pedantic:  But was that $20 for 6 pills or $20/pill?  I went to the vet for Jelly and the vet cost for one pill was $20.  Cheapest I found it on the 'net was around $16 IRC.

Thanks,
View Quote
$20 For 6 pills
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Just started mine on DE again last night, after finding this on my stairs yesterday.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top