Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 4:44:22 PM EDT
We saved this big guy from a local shelter this weekend.  We call him "Mac".

My wife's been wanting an Old English Sheepdog for ages, and scours the rescue websites every other month or so.  He's a real mess: covered in ticks, very bad ear infections, some hair loss, matts everywhere, very dirty and smells like the inside of a wet vacuum cleaner!  We are getting him cleaned up though, he's a work in progress.  And he's a big ole' sweety with a "whatever" attitude.  We were very lucky to get this guy!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Does he get good reception even on cloudy days?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does he get good reception even on cloudy days?
View Quote
Haha, not sure yet, haven't had a chance to try him out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
He looks good considering your description. After you get him all cleaned up, put a spoonful of apple cider vinegar (make sure it's the stuff that says with mother's, that's the cloudy ghost scum) in his food every day. That will naturally help to keep fleas, ticks and even mosquitoes away, it will help to keep his ears less scuzzy, and his coat healthier and shinier. They get used to it pretty quick.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Huh, never heard of the apple cider vinegar thing, I'll have to check that out.  The vet that saw him today says he's healthy under all the scuzziness.  He's got a great demeanor and is super strong, pulling me all over the place with the leash if I don't hold tight.  This is the first big dog I've had since I was like 6, so I got a learning curve here.  My other dog is an 18lb Maltipoo.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Huh, never heard of the apple cider vinegar thing, I'll have to check that out.  The vet that saw him today says he's healthy under all the scuzziness.  He's got a great demeanor and is super strong, pulling me all over the place with the leash if I don't hold tight.  This is the first big dog I've had since I was like 6, so I got a learning curve here.  My other dog is an 18lb Maltipoo.
View Quote
I used to have a shar pei and his ears would stink like hell, I started that and all went away. He's gone now , but my Irish wolfhound has a healthier coat, her ears are all cleaned up and the tics seem to stay off of her.  Look it up for sure, it seems to be a wonder juice, for animals and people. Congrats on the awesome new dog.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi Mac!  
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You and your wife are good people.  That's a happy looking dog. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are strong a friend of mine used to have one and it would drag his daughter around the yard by the hair on her head
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He's got a great demeanor and is super strong, pulling me all over the place with the leash if I don't hold tight.
View Quote
I got the dogs pinch collars.  It made the walks much more pleasant for me and they don't mind them at all.

I was getting to the point that my shoulders hurt from the constant pulling.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Good for you guys saving him. Please post follow up progress pics.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
He looks happy.
Thank You for rescuing him and giving him a loving forever home.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Ahh, the Cone of Shame.

Many canine souls have had to endure the humiliation.

DSC_5887-Cone of Shame by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Update:  He spent overnight at a vet Monday, and we agreed to completely shave him down.  His hair was just a lost cause, and he was completely covered in ticks.  He's got a fresh start now and is back home.  Still has to wear the cone of shame though.  He looks like a completely different dog!

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats to you all, that's a handsome dag!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Update:  Well it's been over two weeks now, and he's really starting to settle into our home.  His coat and skin are LOADS better than when we found him, as are his ears.  He's learned how to shut up and sleep in his crate at night, and not to come upstairs.  He's still a big ole' horse that doesn't realize how big he is, but that's ok!  These before and after pics...I can't believe it's the same dog.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome man. Glad to see the dog will have a good home.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ahh, the Cone of Shame.
Many canine souls have had to endure the humiliation.
View Quote
My buddy had surgery for a hernia last week, he's never had to deal with a cone or being locked up in a bathroom for a week before.
Staples came out yesterday and he's good to go now

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#20]
that is a cool looking dag.  easy to tell the good attitude.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#21]
A tip for anyone whose dog has to wear a cone. Some dogs, for whatever reason, just can't seem to handle a cone that blocks their peripheral vision. My late dog King went into a major depression when coned after having one of his anal sacs removed. I've never seen him as miserable as he was with the opaque cone:

He didn't eat, hardly slept, just walked around like he was in a daze. I had never seen him like that before. A friend suggested getting a clear cone and it was like a switch was thrown. Ten minutes after the clear one went on, he was gobbling foood down, and as soon as he was done eating, he was back to tormenting Molly, as usual, using the cone as a battering ram.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top