Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2017 1:47:20 PM EDT
Don't think I've ever posted up a pic or vid of him on arfcom so I thought I'd share.
This is my Black Piranha that I've had the pleassure of keeping for about 8 or 9 years now.  Great fish, very active most of the time.
He's about 10" total length.  They can get twice this size in the wild but thats not going to happen in an aquarium.

Vid
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Awe, cute little guy. You should give his fins a tickle!

Seriously though, I've always wanted one. Do you ever feed it live fish?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not this one.  Well not on purpose anyway.  Tried to bring in some armored catfish (some species I've had success with red belly piranha) but that ended baddly.
I've lost piranha before from bad (sick) feeder fish...that can be avoided by quarentining but honestly, after years of keeping piranha, live food gets old and the best diet is frozen.

Get one!  Or a dozen if theyre Red Bellies
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Needs some friends in there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Big boy. Why not have some large driftwood structure for him to swim around? He's gotta be bored in there! 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Hungry fella.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big boy. Why not have some large driftwood structure for him to swim around? He's gotta be bored in there! 
View Quote
This is a new setup for him.  120 gallon short.
His old tank was a 75 that was CO2 injected with live plants

Still trying to decide if I want to go this route again
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Wish I could keep that species where I live.  Made the link hot.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
^
Thankyou sir.
It's rediculous how many states have banned these fish...I understand HI, FL and some deep southern states, but it is 100% impossible for these fish to survive in waters in NY and almost all of the others north of TX
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one almost like that for about 5 yrs.  Mine was darker black with beautiful red eyes.  Sadly as you said, lost it to a sick feeder fish.  Stopped having fish after that.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awe, cute little guy. You should give his fins a tickle!

Seriously though, I've always wanted one. Do you ever feed it live fish?
View Quote
A guy I worked with use to play with his piranha when he was drunk.  He came into work with his hand bandaged up.  It seems the piranha decided they did not like to be handled by a drunk.   His hand was pretty well mangled.  He got rid of the fish after that.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top