Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 10:34:41 AM EDT
Anyone else have a dog that is terrified of thunder?  My dog just recently started freaking out every time there is a storm or gunshots.  We live in the country and gunshots are quite common on weekends.

He is an outside dog and contained by an electric fence.  Last week, during a storm he ran through the electric fence and kept going.  Found him the next day at someone's house a couple miles away.  Yesterday he bolted again but I caught him at the end of the driveway.  The fence is set to the max setting.

My niece is a vet and recommend Xanax or something similar.  Crazy damn dog.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I got our GSD a thundershirt a couple of years ago and it helps her alot. Still have to put her in the middle of the house bathroom if the thunderstorm is really bad.

They can overheat with it on so you have to be careful on a hot day or evening.

http://www.thundershirt.com/
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My dog is the same.
He has busted windows our of the front door and cut himself up trying to get out of the house during storms. Mangled the door knob from I guess trying to open the door with his mouth. Ripping off molding and paneling, ect.
Thunder shirt didn't work.
Dog Xanax seems to help but not always.
Only thing that works being there with him trying to calm him down
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
All three of mine hate bad weather and fireworks.
They get the thundershirt and we make a place for them to "Den" up.
Either open a closet for them or make them a "Dogfort" that keeps them calm.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I "cured" a dog of this by sitting with him during storms; it took a little time/effort (during storms, of course):

1.  Sat with him on the couch, kept him calm.
2.  Sat with him in the entryway, front door closed.
3.  Sat with him in the entryway, door open.
4.  Sat with him just outside the door.
5.  Sat with him on the walkway and we were pretty much done.

The problem with doping them up IMO is that unless you know the storm is coming you won't knock 'em down in time, I wouldn't do it to an older dog and it only treats the symptom...you'll have to dope them for every storm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I'm a heartless bastard.

I wouldn't have a dog that I couldn't do a mag dump with it standing right next to me.

And before you say no dog would do that, I have had several rabbit beagles that would lay right beside my shooting bench and nap while I shot my AR and .357 Magnum GP 100.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I "cured" a dog of this by sitting with him during storms; it took a little time/effort (during storms, of course):

1.  Sat with him on the couch, kept him calm.
2.  Sat with him in the entryway, front door closed.
3.  Sat with him in the entryway, door open.
4.  Sat with him just outside the door.
5.  Sat with him on the walkway and we were pretty much done.

The problem with doping them up IMO is that unless you know the storm is coming you won't knock 'em down in time, I wouldn't do it to an older dog and it only treats the symptom...you'll have to dope them for every storm.
View Quote
This. We have a cocker spaniel (not my idea), a breed that mostly shakes if it sees its own shadow. I did exactly what this says and now he only shakes when its dinner time. Not concerned about that.

It's training, generally speaking.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
We give our dog trazadone ($10 per mo.) which takes the edge off. When a storm comes the thundershirt works wonders.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
"That dog don't hunt."
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a lab and he is afraid of

Thunder
Heavy rain on the metal roof
Fire works

And shots from my semi auto shotgun during bird hunting. He is fine with the over under gun.

I just put him in his kennel when a storm approaches. If I don't he tries to fit his 70 pound nose in a three inch space under the bed. Weeee free vibrating bed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
We had a big yellow lab growing up that didn't care about gun shots really and would protect us kids from literally anything, he was an awesome dog. But holy shit did he hate thunder and lightning, he would literally cower in the basement. One time he chewed thru the drywall of a closet just to get deeper into it. We would have to sit with him and consoul him or he'd just shiver in the corner or wreck something trying to make a hole to crawl into

Now I have a B+T coonhound that's terrified of gunshots but handles thunder pretty well. I got her from a rescue, I didn't know it but I'm guessing now she was there because she was gun shy. She's a great dog otherwise
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Who would fuck up their dogs ears by doing a mag dump next to them?  That's stupid.  I'd like to dump a full mag into the neighbors who shoot off illegal fireworks in my neighborhood. This crap about 'Merica and the bogus celebration about freedom is bullshit. Most think one of the Constitution amendments is "here, hold my beer and watch this."
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Who would fuck up their dogs ears by doing a mag dump next to them?  That's stupid.  I'd like to dump a full mag into the neighbors who shoot off illegal fireworks in my neighborhood. This crap about 'Merica and the bogus celebration about freedom is bullshit. Most think one of the Constitution amendments is "here, hold my beer and watch this."
View Quote
I never forced the dog to sit there. They would come with me willingly. I honestly thought about the dogs getting hearing damage, but they never acted like it bothered them. They would kind of twitch at the first shot if they wasn't expecting it, but after that, they just sat or laid there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Ask your vet or go by petsmart and get a product called Compose.
It's a chewable.
Thunder never bothered my lab until about a year ago. Now thunder, jets flying over and distant gunfire gets her. She is 17 now and a little skittish
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Our female elkhound would get a thunder shirt.  We also had a dof crate the was covered for her.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Not long ago I could come here and read advice given by more than a few 'good' dog trainers. This used to be a great place to learn if one just took the time to do a little reading.

Now, All we have left are bunch of idiots that think they can replace 'proper training' with drugs, goofy doggie coats, and freaking pillow forts...

You members suggesting such things are 'contributing' to and prolonging the problems and not at all helping anyone come any closer to solving them. At some point you have to actually get your dog in the water to help them learn to get over their fear of it (same thing applies to the sounds and loud noises).

It is forecast to be stormy tonight (and for the next few days) where I live and I have no doubt that both of my bitches WILL get the hell out there and do their potty as soon as I open the door and give them the command to go 'potty'. The ONLY difference the rain and thunder will make is that it will cause them to do their business a LOT faster than usual (so they can get back inside where it is NOT raining). Rest assured also that as soon as they are done and get back to the door they will hear the 'shake' command and they WILL 'shake' off 90% of the water they got on them BEFORE being allowed back inside. They will follow that command quickly as well as they know that the sooner they do it - The sooner they get back inside. The longer they take - The longer we stay out there in it...

I copied and saved the picture that was posted of the 'doggie fort' on the couch so as to have a constant reminder (and source of never ending laughter) of what 'poor dog training' looks like. I can instantly tell from looking at that picture WHO EXACTLY got 'trained' and it was NOT the dogs...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I never forced the dog to sit there. They would come with me willingly. I honestly thought about the dogs getting hearing damage, but they never acted like it bothered them. They would kind of twitch at the first shot if they wasn't expecting it, but after that, they just sat or laid there.
View Quote
Some dogs will follow their owner into pretty much anything regardless of if it hurts them or makes them uncomfortable in the process.

My general rule with respect to doggie hearing is that if I feel like I 'need' hearing protection - I will make sure the dogs are protected or moved as needed so as they get protection as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#17]
i have a lab/ches mix that is afraid of thunder, any loud nose really.
he becomes a 100lb lap dog until it passes

but of course he runs from bees too

damn timid dog
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not long ago I could come here and read advice given by more than a few 'good' dog trainers. This used to be a great place to learn if one just took the time to do a little reading.

Now, All we have left are bunch of idiots that think they can replace 'proper training' with drugs, goofy doggie coats, and freaking pillow forts...

You members suggesting such things are 'contributing' to and prolonging the problems and not at all helping anyone come any closer to solving them. At some point you have to actually get your dog in the water to help them learn to get over their fear of it (same thing applies to the sounds and loud noises).

It is forecast to be stormy tonight (and for the next few days) where I live and I have no doubt that both of my bitches WILL get the hell out there and do their potty as soon as I open the door and give them the command to go 'potty'. The ONLY difference the rain and thunder will make is that it will cause them to do their business a LOT faster than usual (so they can get back inside where it is NOT raining). Rest assured also that as soon as they are done and get back to the door they will hear the 'shake' command and they WILL 'shake' off 90% of the water they got on them BEFORE being allowed back inside. They will follow that command quickly as well as they know that the sooner they do it - The sooner they get back inside. The longer they take - The longer we stay out there in it...

I copied and saved the picture that was posted of the 'doggie fort' on the couch so as to have a constant reminder (and source of never ending laughter) of what 'poor dog training' looks like. I can instantly tell from looking at that picture WHO EXACTLY got 'trained' and it was NOT the dogs...
View Quote
That's DOG FORT. Please get it right if you wish to marginalize how I or anyone comforts THEIR animals.
Attachment Attached File

If you think its trivial or IDIOTIC please keep it to yourself.
No one asked once how you train or take care of your "Bitches". We honestly don't care.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
My heeler hates thunder and fireworks, the vet prescribed antianxiety meds for him, naturally the meds don't work and I don't get to sleep fourth of July weekend.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top