Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/16/2017 7:48:22 PM EDT
Anyone ever notice a trend with your pets that if they need an emergency vet visit, it's on a weekend when the vets office is closed ?
About once a year my calico wants to brawl with neighborhood animals. She's a small creature with a big heart, but she loses and sustains injury. This is inevitably on a weekend when my vet is closed.

Yesterday morning I let her out early as is her habit. She comes back in around 0900 and disappears for a bit. I figured she's sleeping it off. Around 1300 she appears and there's clearly something medically wrong with her. She's staggering and falling on her side. I was afraid that she got into poison. Couldn't find any injuries. Took her to the on call vet my vet uses as weekend back up. They think it's some parasite that cats can pick up from bot flies, so they shoot her up with something they say is supposed to deal with the parasite in 8 to 12 hours. It's a day later and no improvements. I can see another visit to my regular vet tomorrow. The on call yesterday said the next step might be Cornell small animal ICU.
Like I said, why is it always on a weekend? Poor thing is hiding under the furniture and clearly not doing well
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a 24 hour emergency vet here but they're crazy fucking ridiculously expensive. I only use them for true emergencies, but it's nice to have the option.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a 24 hour emergency vet here but they're crazy fucking ridiculously expensive. I only use them for true emergencies, but it's nice to have the option.
View Quote

The last time I used one my GSD had bloat.  We took him in at 0030 hours on a Sunday.  Had we waited until Monday he would have died.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The last time I remember using one was when I had a cat that couldn't keep any food down. He'd been neutered a couple days earlier so I figured maybe it was a reaction to the anesthesia, but on the 3rd day I decided something was wrong. Late Sunday night I brought him in, X-rays didn't show any foreign bodies upsetting his stomach and the vet agreed it may have been from the gas, so they gave him a can of bland food and he kept it down. I picked up a few more cans to tide him over till I could boil some ground beef & white rice after work the next day. The total bill was somewhere around $250 but it was absolutely worth it seeing him eat and keep it down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My vet covers their own emergency clients (although the price is a little steeper than a regular office visit). Last time I had to use the service was when our old Boxer had her first stroke, but it was maybe an hour after the office closed, not the middle of the night. I'm really happy that they offer that service, even if it's more expensive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#5]
We came home to a house full of crap on a Friday. GSD had serious diarrhoea. Has happened before so we started our normal routine to fix the issue. This dog seems to have a sensitive digestive track . Well 24 hours later it is not improving and we start worry about dehydration. Wife packed GSD up and off the the emergency vet. X-rays, blood work. $736 later the dog was home, no real diagnosis .  She is fine everything passed. probably got into something.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine always occurs right about the time I have some medical emergency ($$) myself, which is coincidentally right after I spent a bunch of money on something I didn't need.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top