Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/20/2017 2:35:54 PM EDT
We have a 1y3mo old puppy who is the best dog in the world and we love him so much.. we have had such a good experience with him we are getting another rescue puppy whom we fell in love with.  We took Charlie over so he could help with our decision and he met a few of the puppies and he played and liked two of them, one of them being the one we like as well.  Fitz is coming home in about two weeks, so we dont have him het.

I now have this overwhelming feeling of guilt(so does my wife) about getting a new puppie... it feels like we are cheating on Charlie lol.  We want charlie to have a buddy and we also want another dog because they are awesome.  I know it will be alright, we will let them deal with their own hierarchy, each will have their toys and spot in the house.  But dang, you really dont know how emotionally invested you are with an animal until you add another.  We are reasearching bringing in a second animal so each dog will have their own area as well as Fitz will be getting his own toys, we do not want a "second hand dog".

Charlie!

Charlie meeting Fitz.  They ran around and played for about 30 min.

Fitzgerald!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Dogs are pack animals, you're getting him an awesome new best friend for life and you feel guilty about this?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dogs are pack animals, you're getting him an awesome new best friend for life and you feel guilty about this?
View Quote
Yeah, that. Now they can destroy the house together.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
More like you guys will be cutting in on their butt sniffing each other time.

Both nice looking dogs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You're doing the right thing. Two dogs are happier than one usually. They are pack creatures. We lost our male Boxer a couple of years back. Our female Boxer is about 8 and had started being a bit lazy. We adopted a 8 month old Boxer, shes now up and playing, chasing him around the yard...it's awsome.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know they will be best friends and they also like their own kind, but I think it is also about the amount of love we have for him and now we have a new puppy to love and we dont want to compromise on either.  Being human is the weak point here LOL.  I know the dogs will be fine.

I sure hope they dont try and one up each other on destruction.  Anyways charlie is not a really a destructive dog, when he has messed something up it was his or related to him and was more like puppy chewing than utter separation destruction and it is few and far between, we play with him, i play hard with him, lots of fetch, frisbee, dog parks, and wrastlin'!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
great decision to get him a buddy

I had three and it was great they and I miss them all very much
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
They will only bring more joy and playfulness to your home.  

My buddy has an old 10 year old boxer with several breed related health issues and the 2 year old Rottie has kept him active way longer than he would have been had they just left him a loner dog.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife and I each had a dog when we got together. Both dogs bonded well. We've also noticed less issues with mine when we're gone for the day now that he has another dog to keep him company.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know they will be best friends and they also like their own kind, but I think it is also about the amount of love we have for him and now we have a new puppy to love and we dont want to compromise on either.  Being human is the weak point here LOL.  I know the dogs will be fine.

I sure hope they dont try and one up each other on destruction.  Anyways charlie is not a really a destructive dog, when he has messed something up it was his or related to him and was more like puppy chewing than utter separation destruction and it is few and far between, we play with him, i play hard with him, lots of fetch, frisbee, dog parks, and wrastlin'!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was being being jokey/sarcastic but you're looking at this completely backwards.

I'm a firm believer in having 2 dogs if possible. Understand I'm not trying to anthropomorphize dogs here, but I view them as having the same basic needs as humans. Food, water, shelter, security, a job, and companionship.

I don't know about you but I'd lose my mind if I had to sit at home all day alone with nothing to do waiting for my sole source of entertainment and activity to get back. I'd get so bored, I'd start doing anything to pass the time even if it made zero sense.

Dogs are similar in this sense, they engage in destructive behavior because they're bored and they need to do something anything really to alleviate that. Having a brother won't minimize your role as parent. It'll merely make your absences more tolerable.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was being being jokey/sarcastic but you're looking at this completely backwards.

I'm a firm believer in having 2 dogs if possible. Understand I'm not trying to anthropomorphize dogs here, but I view them as having the same basic needs as humans. Food, water, shelter, security, a job, and companionship.

I don't know about you but I'd lose my mind if I had to sit at home all day alone with nothing to do waiting for my sole source of entertainment and activity to get back. I'd get so bored, I'd start doing anything to pass the time even if it made zero sense.

Dogs are similar in this sense, they engage in destructive behavior because they're bored and they need to do something anything really to alleviate that. Having a brother won't minimize your role as parent. It'll merely make your absences more tolerable.
View Quote
Thanks! I agree, it was just a wierd feeling when we pulled the trigger.  I cant wait to go camping and hiking with both as well as all the other fun stuff!  Probably get into agility with them too.

Charlie freaking loves camping.  The mountains, the forest, and hiking.  The family cabin is one of his favorite places.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks! I agree, it was just a wierd feeling when we pulled the trigger.  I cant wait to go camping and hiking with both as well as all the other fun stuff!  Probably get into agility with them too.

Charlie freaking loves camping.  The mountains, the forest, and hiking.  The family cabin is one of his favorite places.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7560/28216796676_38fd3a2606_h.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7560/28216796676_38fd3a2606_h.jpg
That's an awesome pic!

The three of ya'll are gonna have a blast!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
More pics please
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Good looking pups!

Ive been contemplating a second dog. I'm not so sure......
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Two dogs are always better than one, as long as they get along. My last two dogs were littermates and King really ruled Molly's life like a dictator, but they really did care about each other. When I got my dog Gus, the first week was horrible. I got almost no sleep. My Lab Joe wasn't friendly at all to him, and I had to actually stay between them to keep Joe from just scaring the hell out of him by staring at him with a glare I didn't think he was capable of. He cracked on the sixth day, and until Joe went senile/insane after a series of strokes just short of 13 years old, they were big pals, sleeping together, etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Charlie meeting Fitz.  They ran around and played for about 30 min.
View Quote

That has to be good news, right?
If it works out you made 2 dogs very happy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#16]
He comes home friday!!  Got fixed yesterday.

His bro next to him.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
How can you not love that face??
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#18]
What kind of dog is the new one?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some sort of texas cattle dog mutt is the consensus.

Mom is obviously cattle dog but with a lot of white, so something else as well.
They think dad is Australian shepherd or something else with the blue merle gene.. some of the siblings are white with the merle, like his bro in the photo.

here are two of his siblings..
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They think dad is Australian shepherd or something else with the blue merle gene.. some of the siblings are white with the merle, like his bro in the photo.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21179/17389128-10212012772858414-3484946664484327817-o-176187.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21179/17358919-10212012775498480-6431345425825652867-o-176188.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21179/17389128-10212012772858414-3484946664484327817-o-176187.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21179/17358919-10212012775498480-6431345425825652867-o-176188.JPG
I was kinda thinking he might be an Aussie.

He's gonna be a cool, high energy dog.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was kinda thinking he might be an Aussie.

He's gonna be a cool, high energy dog.
View Quote
High energy with a brain!  it will be fun.  

We love teaching Charlie, our current dog, tricks as well as getting him out so he can open up at full speed going after the ball.  He also loves the dog park with the love of a 1000 stage 5 clingers.  Charlie, can power a small town some times haha!  Loves hiking and bike rides too!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Dogs are meant to have a partner. Good move for all of you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dogs are meant to have a partner. Good move for all of you.
View Quote
I am agreeing!

He is home now as of Friday and they are having a blast!!
GD thread I made today... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1980689_New-Puppy-Fitz-is-HOME-----Pics-and-Vids-.html
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top