Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 2/25/2017 6:13:47 PM EDT
I've been in the process of applying to adopt a Mal from AMBR for about a month now. I have helped train Mal's at my work and love everything about them. I drove down to AR yesterday and picked him up. His name is Thor and he's about 3 1/2 years old. He is housebroke and crate trained. He has also been started on AKC obedience courses. He gets along great with our 3 y/o son and our 11 y/o female yellow lab. Everything has been great so far and he's everything we could have asked for. The only problem we've had was today when I was brushing him I had found 4 ticks. I ran him up to the vet real quick and she removed another 30-40 of them. I didn't notice them yesterday because when I felt certain areas it was showing up as what appeared to be matted hair and I figured I just get him groomed and have it taken care of. He's been given a full bath and will get his flea/tick meds tomorrow when he's completely dry. Other than that he's a great fit and we are very happy with our decision. Here's some pics!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome. Looks like he is living the good life now,
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking pup.

Did the vet draw blood for a Lyme test?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:51:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Not yet, we go back next Saturday for a full check up. He is up to date on all of his shots.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
He's a fine dog OP. Gorgeous.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like he's gonna be a great dog.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice looking addition to the family.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Badass.

I hope you have lots of energy yourself and room for him to run.

Mals need to be kept busy!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#8]
So far so good. He's been absolutely great! He is high energy outside and loves to retrieve, but once inside he settles down nicely. Couldn't ask for a better dog. He gets along great with our lab and is very affectionate towards my 3y/o.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far so good. He's been absolutely great! He is high energy outside and loves to retrieve, but once inside he settles down nicely. Couldn't ask for a better dog. He gets along great with our lab and is very affectionate towards my 3y/o.
View Quote
That's great to hear! Having an off switch for a mal is nice too!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Wanted to give everyone an update, since Thor has been with us for almost two months now. A little background that I found out after the fact and was pretty pissed about. When Thor was in foster care he was not socialized properly and either spent time fenced in a yard by himself away from the other dogs or in a kennel. I started noticing little things that started popping up with his behaviors and how he was acting skittish around things that these types of dogs should not be skittish with. He was also a completely different dog outside than he is inside, prob due to him only being in a kennel while inside and not allowed to interact with family. Then there was his teeth problems. The "foster" admitted (after I had adopted him) that Thor fence fought his other dogs and had worn down his teeth in the process. Well his teeth were worn down as well as all four K9's being broken. I took him to the doc today and he had root canals on all four as well as 5 teeth pulled because they were completely worn down. He's home now with us and has been doing great, just very tired.

Now onto the positives. He's been absolutely great and learns extremely quick. I taught him to heel in 15 minutes. He's constantly looking to please. He and our lab are now best friends and when they are inside together they lay on each other and sleep. He's still learning his place in the house and constantly wants to test this with my 3 y/o (soon to be 4), but nothing bad. My wife and I work with him everyday on improving his obedience and other skills. He can run and jump with the best of them. I've been socializing him as much as possible with the neighbors, their kids and dogs. He's been doing well at that too. I'm extremely glad that he came into our lives and that we are able to take care of him and get him everything he needs. Now for some more pics! Last was on the ride home today after the docs. You can see where they shaved under his chin because one of the root canals had to be done from underneath.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
That is fucking awesome
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top