Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/28/2017 8:51:25 PM EDT
Ok guys it seems I've ran into an issue with the potty training.  Tomorrow Abby which is a GSD will be 11 weeks old.  As of now she will go to the front door when she needs to go out.  When I'm at work or not paying enough attention to her she will use her pads in the kitchen.  As soon as I finish her fence and get a doggie door in hopefully it'll eliminate the pads.  All of that is great.  Here is the problem I've run into and clueless how to overcome.  The last week and a half she will only go at home.  Meaning going all over the place and visiting family for several hours she will hold it until we get home.  I try and her a chance to go at least once an hour.  Walk around with her and let her sniff for 30 minutes or longer until she normally either wants to go back to my truck, quits walking and sniffing and just sits looking at me, or wants back inside where everyone is at.  This bothers me because I know she needs to go especially when we get home and as soon as I get her out of the truck she creates a river.  Any advice on this is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry her potty pad (or pieces thereof) to the other location so she will have her scent at the new place.  It could reassure her that she's 'allowed' to powder her nose there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll admit that I'm a bit suprised that people are still using the pads.  Take treats that she loves outside with you.  When she finishes peeing praise big and give her a treat.  But only when she goes outside.  Take treats with you when you travel.  You can see where this is going.  After a while she'll have it, and you'll know when that is.  At this point praise big, then slowly praise less until you get to a normal praise.

If you'd like to get rid of the pads you can leash her while in the house.  Keep her with you and watch her.  When she starts to sniff around take her out and follow the above suggestion.  I bought two rock climbing chalk pouches (one for me and one for my wife) filled both with treats.  We had those with almost constantly for the first year and a half.

ETA @runs_with_scissors
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll admit that I'm a bit suprised that people are still using the pads.  Take treats that she loves outside with you.  When she finishes peeing praise big and give her a treat.  But only when she goes outside.  Take treats with you when you travel.  You can see where this is going.  After a while she'll have it, and you'll know when that is.  At this point praise big, then slowly praise less until you get to a normal praise.

If you'd like to get rid of the pads you can leash her while in the house.  Keep her with you and watch her.  When she starts to sniff around take her out and follow the above suggestion.  I bought two rock climbing chalk pouches (one for me and one for my wife) filled both with treats.  We had those with almost constantly for the first year and a half.
View Quote
Yep, do this.  The pad thing is a mistake.  The goal is to train her to go outside, and never inside.  Fortunately, she's still young and adjusting her training shouldn't be too much drama.

You can also use the treats as a lure to get her to walk... just hold one in front of her nose and walk.  The nose will be glued to your hand. 

I've found these to work remarkably well.  http://www.boulderdogfoodcompany.com/dog-treats/all-natural-bison-lung-cubes/
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
We hang jingle bells on the front door. Dog noses them to let us know she needs to go out. 
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top