Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 8:54:36 PM EDT
Friend of mine has a female Border Collie/mix that bred with an Aussie.  Pups were born 12/06 litter was 5 all healthy.  Bella (mom) was nursing fine, but she dried up during the weekend, puppies have been trying but you can't get blood out of a stone.

The other pups went to their future homes yesterday, I'm getting mine tomorrow, I would have like if they were still burning nursed for a bit longer but it is what it is.

What is a good food dry/wet to start the pup off with which will be the most beneficial to being weaned early?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Friend of mine has a female Border Collie/mix that bred with an Aussie.  Pups were born 12/06 litter was 5 all healthy.  Bella (mom) was nursing fine, but she dried up during the weekend, puppies have been trying but you can't get blood out of a stone.

The other pups went to their future homes yesterday, I'm getting mine tomorrow, I would have like if they were still burning nursed for a bit longer but it is what it is.

What is a good food dry/wet to start the pup off with which will be the most beneficial to being weaned early?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
View Quote
Ground up chicken. Sweet potatoes,   Chopped meat
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ground up chicken. Sweet potatoes,   Chopped meat
View Quote

Ground up RAW chicken, sweet potatoes or butternut squash, kale.

For a puppy, 4-6%of their body weight.  Reduce as they get older. My Weimeraner at 18 months is on 2%. She is a show dog.

Better for then and doesn't cost much more then "dog food"
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
most states won't allow the sale of puppies less than 8 weeks old because they will miss out on a lot of socialization training 
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
most states won't allow the sale of puppies less than 8 weeks old because they will miss out on a lot of socialization training
View Quote
This is not a sale, my friend down the road who I help occasionally with things is who has the litter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Pics of presumable adorable puppy?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]

I was off on birth date it was the 6th of Dec. which makes her 6 weeks old.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Pups should still be with mom even if mom isn't nursing.  I'd not take a 6 week old pup, it's not learning the critical doggie things it needs to be learning in the 5 to 8 week window.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]
She's a cute one.

8 weeks is good. We got Ruger at 6 weeks and I'm lucky I had an older male collie in the house. Ruger copied him perfectly. Housebroken in 3 days, unbelievable. Crate trained (by himself) the first night. He followed Tag everywhere, even slept with him during the day. The only thing Tag did not let him do is eat from the bowl when he was eating.

Ruger was eating hard food at 5 weeks and he loved 4Health Puppy food. He is still eating 4Health mixed with canned soup or chicken. We also grill chicken breast strips as treats for our dogs so keep an eye out on sales.

The only advice I offer OP is to get a second pup for this one to play/grow-up with, I'll never own a lone pup again.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top