Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/14/2017 9:07:30 AM EDT
My Cat is almost 5. Until a couple weeks ago she would watch tv with us and was ready to play anytime after dinner.
Then she started licking the patio concrete and sleeps when you come home. She does not play anymore.
She now naps in closets for hours and will go to our bed instead of watching TV.
I got some vitamin "treats" from Petco but she hates them.
She may be very bored with her dry foods , her shoulders feel bony to me but she is still 10 lbs.
any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#1]
It's time for a trip to the vet. Ours had similar issue it turned out she had a bad tooth and was in pain. She went back to normal after it was taken out. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Vet 100%.  Might be urinary tract infection or tooth as mentioned.  But behavioral changes are always the result of external causes like new family member or pain.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Vet. Bloodwork. She could be in horrible pain or sick as a dog and this is all she's showing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
All of the above.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Update on Puddy Tat?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Pray for my Kitty
She was tested and has severe Anemia,  7 RBC vs 37+ for a healthy Cat
She is getting expensive transfusions and that is just to get her strong enough to do the diagnostics.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Not good.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry man.  Animals are priceless.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pray for my Kitty
She was tested and has severe Anemia,  7 RBC vs 37+ for a healthy Cat
She is getting expensive transfusions and that is just to get her strong enough to do the diagnostics.
View Quote

Did they discuss with you any reason for the severe anemia?  Anemia is usually a secondary effect of a primary disease process.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did they discuss with you any reason for the severe anemia?  Anemia is usually a secondary effect of a primary disease process.
View Quote

This.

The obvious question is "What is she doing with all those RBCs?"

None of the answers is good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Update?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow guys!
She was negative on all feline diseases and cancer
Elevated lymphocytes  are half what they were Monday
RBC is stable now
Red replacement rate is now 12 times the (lethal) low level it was.
Doctor says She will live and probably has an unknown virus.  Animals come in all the time with previously unseen infections.
I prayed to St Francis and was answered.
Thanks for all the support.

lesson learned  take sluggish cats *immediately* to a vet for antibiotics. of treat them yourself if money is tight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm hoping for the best for your friend.

It's so upsetting and they're so tough, they have their ways of letting us know they're suffering, but we're often unaware of the signals. Glad you caught on and got her the help she needs.

Best of luck to all of you.

-JC
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Hope she stays better. They hide their illnesses well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Another problem recognizing they aren't well is their behavior can also change just because.  We have 5 cats.  One month a cat will come to bed to sleep with the wife unit.  Next month not.  is it sick?  Or is it because a different cat is there?

And yeah, they are tough and hide illness well.  Hope your cat is OK.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top