Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2017 5:06:19 PM EDT
I've done the freshwater setups before, and they were easy enough. I always heard that saltwater was fun and rewarding, but it was a lot of work. I have been thinking about getting a fish tank for my daughter to enjoy, and I'm thinking about finally going for the saltwater realm, which is something I've always found intriguing. I have been looking at the BioCube 32 gallon set up. I know about all of the expenses associated with it, and even with a $300 tank, you'll end up around $800 in the hole. Is it worth the hassle and costs? Or and I getting in over my head?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I have my Green Spotter Puffer in a marine set-up and it's not that bad.  There can be salt build up around the rim of the tank, and all around the filters, but more so if I don't regularly change the water or top up often.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get a used BC29 for around $100 on CraigsList. Check there for all hardware - people tend to offload for dirt cheap.

With a tank that small, water parameter swings will be greater. BioCubes are great tanks for beginners and are flexible with their filtration options in the back.

Cycling is absolutely critical. Research it, understand it, and do not rush it.

Get some substrate, some live rock, and fill it up with water, let it go for a few weeks.

Start slow. This is not an immediate gratification hobby.

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My current BC29, running for about 3.5 yrs

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Go big. More volume is more forgiving ecosystem. Cycle it and test it before thinking of fish. It's one thing to sacrifice $1 guppies for a new tank, but even damsels add up quickly and with the starters available today, you don't need to.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I think once I get going, it will be rewarding.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not that bad. Just keep up with maintenance and helps to use rodi water. Take it slow. It kinda sucks in the beginning when all you have to look at are bleach white rocks. It's better to get what you want the first time instead of later. Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I bought the BC32 at a local shop. They had a good price on it. I'll set it up this weekend and get my rock, sand, and water put in it. Then begins the cycling. I have never really paid attention to corals before in fish shops, as I mainly just look at the fish. I also had no clue as to any of it. After getting a bunch of knowledge, and understanding how things work, I noticed there are a bunch of really cool corals. Its almost like an alien environment with the strange colors that you normally don't see.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Haven't had one in a long time. Like others have said, bigger ones are more stable environments.

Invertebrates are cool, and less expensive and easier to keep than fish. I've had small stone crabs, hermit crabs, and anemones. The stone crabs can be fun- kind of mischievous. Be careful with them- they can use their claws on you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're going to do corals, definitely get yourself a RODI setup, I got my last one from bulk reef supply for about $160. I'm not sure what changes they did to the light setup when they went from 29 to 32g but look into what can and can't be supported. Research your fish out make sure they will be compatible with any corals you want to keep and keep in mind with 32g you wont be able to keep to many fish so make sure you get what you want, avoid stupid salt newb mistakes like buying damsels, give the tank 6 months to mature before any anemones. Clownfish are assholes but kids usually want them, 32g is way to small for any Dory's.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I have a bunch of corals in mind. I'm wanting a hammer, frogspawn, duncan, acans, zoan's, maybe a bubble, green star polyp, green birds nest, candy cane trumpet, and branching acro. I think doing the corals will be the neat part. As far as fish, all I'm thinking is a pair of clowns, some firefish (or the purple ones), a pair of banggai cardinals, and maybe a lawnmower blenny or watchman goby because I think they're cool.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind that the softies and LPS corals will be very aggressive toward your SPSs. Not saying you can't have them together, as I've done it before, but you have to be very, very careful as to tank placement.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I have a bunch of corals in mind. I'm wanting a hammer, frogspawn, duncan, acans, zoan's, maybe a bubble, green star polyp, green birds nest, candy cane trumpet, and branching acro. I think doing the corals will be the neat part. As far as fish, all I'm thinking is a pair of clowns, some firefish (or the purple ones), a pair of banggai cardinals, and maybe a lawnmower blenny or watchman goby because I think they're cool.
View Quote

Will have to becareful with placement with that mix of coral, and possibly up the light output probably youtube vid's on how to add more led's to the lid, know the bc29 had tons of mod's. Let the tank mature for 6mo or so after cycle is done to add the lawnmower blenny and bubble tip.

I been wanting to get back into a reef but don't really want to spend the money. Almost bought a 125g tank and stand on clearance at petsmart, thankfully the stand wouldnt of supported a sump so I passed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I have a lone rocks where I'm planning on putting the more aggressive corals, like frogspawn and hammer or bubble coral. I have several flat spots where I'm planning on putting zoanthids. If I do acans, I'll probably put them on the substrate. My ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm, and the nitrates are around 40ppm. I'm going to do a water change this weekend and add some snails.

Here's a pic of my rock layout. I have lots of hiding spots and cave type places. The pic doesn't do it justice, but in the middle is a gap where the fish can swim left or right, through an opening.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, I have a lone rocks where I'm planning on putting the more aggressive corals, like frogspawn and hammer or bubble coral. I have several flat spots where I'm planning on putting zoanthids. If I do acans, I'll probably put them on the substrate. My ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm, and the nitrates are around 40ppm. I'm going to do a water change this weekend and add some snails.

Here's a pic of my rock layout. I have lots of hiding spots and cave type places. The pic doesn't do it justice, but in the middle is a gap where the fish can swim left or right, through an opening.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/telsonman/B7341E30-A601-45C3-8EE7-1E4099D1A7AB_zpsdutlrrch.jpg
View Quote

It looks nice but your rocks are really close to the glass, it is going make cleaning difficult. I know it's a small tank though so not a lot of room but it's something to think about especially once you add coral.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Few things.

Your budget depends if you want to keep corals or not. If going for a reef tank, i tell people plan on $10 per gallon. So a 32g will end up at $3200. You need a lot of 'stuff' for a saltwater tank. They are the ar15s of the fish world.

With salt water tanks you need to keep the topped off every day. They require dialy maintenance.

You cant use tap water unless pushed through an rodi machine. So you will be buying water at the reef store. You will also have to decide if you want to mix your own saltwater or buy that too.

Ive got a custom 100 gallon cube reef (140g total), a 8 gallon nano cube reef, and a 20 gallong freshwater with a loach ive owned 25 years!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I disagree with Salt being more work.  I'm a lazy ass when it comes to tanks and I had good luck with a Salt tank that I just partialed every 3 to 6 months.  Obviously I didn't have to most sensitive fish either.

Clown fish and gorgeous Flame Angels are surprisingly easy to keep.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I disagree with Salt being more work.  I'm a lazy ass when it comes to tanks and I had good luck with a Salt tank that I just partialed every 3 to 6 months.  Obviously I didn't have to most sensitive fish either.

Clown fish and gorgeous Flame Angels are surprisingly easy to keep.
View Quote

You obviously dont have corals.

My reef tank is 40,000% more work then my fresh water tank.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You obviously dont have corals.

My reef tank is 40,000% more work then my fresh water tank.
View Quote

No I was talking Fish.  Corals are a whole other ball game.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I need to post an updated pic. I have several corals now, and a pair of clowns and one firefish (had 2). I do weekly water changes. I'm learning that overfeeding causes algae growth. Its a lot different than freshwater, but I like it more. I've only lost 2 things. A firefish and a peppermint shrimp. I have no clue why they died. Perhaps it was just their time. They both died on the same day, I think. I went to Asheville for two days, and when I came back, they were both dead. There was just a tad ammonia and a decent amount of nitrates, but I attributed that to their bodies being in the tank for ~24 hours. Other than that, everything is good. My zoanthids are growing like crazy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#20]
You're right in that the water levels were likely out of whack due to dead livestock. Keep an eye on things, though, just to be sure. You also may have stocked a little fast, which can cause stress on the tank. I typically stuck to one fish per month (or two in the case of clowns, but then I took a month off) and monitored levels daily for a week after adding new stock.

Either way, two clowns and a firefish sound perfect for a 32g.

What do you have for a clean up crew?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#21]
In my experience peppermints can be more sensitive then some other shrimp, they're assholes too, steal food from corals and walk all over them and occasionally murder each other. Fire shrimp are pretty hardy and usually dont stomp all over your corals.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Firefish are only 1 per tank.  I have 2 but its a 100gallon and one may still not make it.

Shrimp require good, stable, water quality.

What are your current water parameters?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well I need to post an updated pic. I have several corals now, and a pair of clowns and one firefish (had 2). I do weekly water changes. I'm learning that overfeeding causes algae growth. Its a lot different than freshwater, but I like it more. I've only lost 2 things. A firefish and a peppermint shrimp. I have no clue why they died. Perhaps it was just their time. They both died on the same day, I think. I went to Asheville for two days, and when I came back, they were both dead. There was just a tad ammonia and a decent amount of nitrates, but I attributed that to their bodies being in the tank for ~24 hours. Other than that, everything is good. My zoanthids are growing like crazy.
View Quote

Wait, in less then a month you went from an empty tank to corals and fish?  Oh boy.....I hope you understand the cycle process.

Also if not already, www.reefcentral.com is your friend.

Also remember to feed everyday; I have a fish-sitter when I am away.  Some fish require feedings 4 times a day!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/telsonman/B7341E30-A601-45C3-8EE7-1E4099D1A7AB_zpsdutlrrch.jpg
View Quote

Keep lights off for a month this way you can avoid some unwanted algae.

Dont rush..nothin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dont rush..nothin.
View Quote

This is most important. Also random water movement and water changes in that smaller system. Hook up with local reefers for frags, reef central has a regional section people are always willing to help a newbie.
Lot of pet store employees = gunstore employees take their advice with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Iwill be setting up a FOWLR in a few weeks.... Just aquiring the equipment a little at a time... Skimmer comes in tomorrow and then I'll order my RO/DI system Wednesday... Got wave maker/powerheads..Heater.. Refractometer and test kit!

Been buying base rock locally a little at a time too... Will order about 50 lbs from bulk reef supply and then seed the tank with some live rock and sand from the lfs.. canister filter and a few other odds and ends that I'll eventually need to acquire and then I'll be good to go!

Fish load will be light... Pair of clowns..Yellow watch man goby...Was wanting banggi cardinals... But reading a lot about them that make me go meh! Picky eaters... And not very Hardy even for captive/tank breed and raised fish! Not sure what else I'll get...Wife wants a Picasso trigger...If I get him it'll be the last one stocked and small as possible!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a 240 gallon breeder tank sitting in the garage that I dont trust after having to reattach the bottom glass.   Craigslist leaking tank for the loose.

Ran it for a year in the garage after rebuilding the bottom glass(redrilled the overflow to lower the water 6 inches to take pressure off side glsss due to not trusting old silicone) as a freshwater tank for 6 tin foil barbs and 2 very angry jaguars.

That freshwater setup cost me about 40 bucks a month in electricity without running the lights very much.

Now I am down to a much more effecient 125 and 55 in the house that are cheap to run.

I couldnt imagine what a large 200-300 gallon reef tank would cost given water circulation needs, refugium needs, and lighting needs.

Wont be cheap.

As for my breeder tank.   I am tempted to make it into a high humidity terrarium to have little dart frogs.     Doing a custom wet/dry environment would be easy running a 6-8 inch tall diagonal plane of glass from the back glass to the front glass.    Could keep small fancy guppies in the small aquarium side and then on the dry side do small dwarf plants and custom back wall.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My zoanthids are growing like crazy.
View Quote
Please exercise caution when dealing with the zoas. Gloves are a must, a face shield if you frag them, and do not boil anything that has or had a zoa on it.  

Not all species of zoas produce palytoxin, but palytoxin producing zoas are found in the trade.

Palytoxin

Palytoxin
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Please exercise caution when dealing with the zoas. Gloves are a must, a face shield if you frag them, and do not boil anything that has or had a zoa on it.  

Not all species of zoas produce palytoxin, but palytoxin producing zoas are found in the trade.

Palytoxin

Palytoxin
View Quote

This cannot be stressed enough.

My reef tank is full of stuff trying to kill me. palytoxin, bristle worms, infections after getting cut on skeletons or rock...etc.

Many times I've done quick gloveless adjustments in the tank and pulled a bleeding, swelling hand out.

We had a member of my reefkeeping group get rushed to the ER. He was fragging zoas and then stepped outside for a smoke. Toxins on his hand got on his lips, in his mouth...bad stuff followed.

Quite difficult explaining to the ER doctors that you're having a saltwater-animal-based toxic reaction when you live in Iowa. They thought he was on illegal drugs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#31]
First bit of advice is to get an account and reefcentral.com and ask your tank questions there... not in a gun forum; you'll get more and better advice, than GD

PM me if you have any specific questions - been in the hobby for years
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Palytoxin

Palytoxin
View Quote
ilikeporkchops got sick and had to go to the ER because of his Zoas.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, the biocube is doing awesome. Its basically turned into a zoa and trumpet farm. I now have a 75g tank running with an apex, which makes it so easy. I just bought a 30g frag tank, as this coral thing is addictive. Its ready to set up, but I'm not going to finalize it until I change the flooring in the room its going in. Thought I would want it in the living room with the other two tanks, but I am instead going to put it in a guest bedroom (bedless), but there's carpet in there, so I'm going to rip it up and lay down either more laminate or vinyl planks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#34]
My FOWLR is up and running....has been for like a month now.... Cycle was done about a week and a half ago... Added a small yellow watchman goby and some nassurius snails Monday... Everything seems to be going good!

Going to add some clown fish in two weeks...

Trying to take it nice and slow.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top