Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 10:18:28 PM EDT
Took the guys for a walk Friday after work. Max the Mal and the two mutts. Max is about 10 and has been here for near 8 years. He has more white on his nose than black and he doesn`t chase bunnies like he used to. If he doesn`t want to go for a walk with the others he will turn around and meet us on the deck on his blanket. Got back to the house Friday and no Max. That was about 10 after 5 Friday. Whistled and called for him and nothing. Went up the road to look for him and didn`t find him. I did find where he went #2 on the trail so I knew where he had been. Called for him again and nothing. Went back and got the bike out and rode around looking for him. Nothing. There wasn`t any barking by him or the other 2. Nobody else was around as there are no neighbors in the direction we walk, no other dogs or horse riders seen or prints.
      Used up two sets of flashlight batteries Friday night and nothing. Took the bike out Saturday for near 2 hours looking and nothing. No blood, no fur, no signs of a fight anywhere, just nothing. Took the two little ones out thinking they might have his scent, nothing. Looked again 3 or 4 more times again today and still nothing.
       He was getting slower as his rear legs are a little tired so in a matter of about 5 minutes he couldn`t have gone very far I keep telling myself. Still nothing to point in a direction or clues.
       I kept waiting for him to come out from behind a bush, but no luck. Went and checked out the houses down the road. As far away as they are I didn`t expect to find anything. Really don`t have neighbors and they would know him anyway. I just don`t have any more ideas or places to look.
       Not looking for an answer, just a place to try and get over losing my long time buddy and not knowing what happened.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a pit in my stomach reading that. Hope you find him man. His safe return will be in my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like someone picked him up, call the local animal shelter and all the local vet offices. If he's chipped, let them know that. May want to call Animal control also and place an ad locally with Craigslist.

All the best, had a Samoyed that disappeared for 3 months then showed back up like nothing happened. Still think someone stole him and he got loose like he did at home, dog could slip anything, escape artist extraordinaire.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like someone picked him up, call the local animal shelter and all the local vet offices. If he's chipped, let them know that. May want to call Animal control also and place an ad locally with Craigslist.

All the best, had a Samoyed that disappeared for 3 months then showed back up like nothing happened. Still think someone stole him and he got loose like he did at home, dog could slip anything, escape artist extraordinaire.
View Quote

I would say this is quite possible.  A couple of days ago I took my shepherd to the local dog park.  When we drove up there was a black lab running around outside the fenceline.  He was friendly, and kept trying to get into my car.  It was below zero, and I think he'd been there for awhile, as he kept lifting his feet off the ground.  He had a collar on, but no tags.  I went ahead and called animal control and they sent a cop out to get the dog.  He let the cop put a leash on and just followed the cop and got in the car with him.  I just didn't want to leave this dog there in case he'd gotten lost and couldn't find his way back home, especially as cold as it was.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddy called me and asked how far from the house we were. Range finder says 288 yards and the is nothing but Creosote bushes in all directions between it. The road is another 270 yards.
     There is no way some one got up to  the house or where I know he was at. While I realize anything is possible, I don`t have any answers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Hate to be a downer but....

Sometimes, a dog feels his time is coming, and he goes quietly away, lays down, sighs his last breath, and passes.  Especially common in dogs who were exceptionally loyal and devoted, and exceptionally athletic/rugged in their day.  It's like some part of them senses the time has come, they've slowed to the point where sticking around and passing on wisdom doesn't balance out in best interest of the pack any more.

That's how the greatest dog that ever walked this planet, my old boy Laddie, exited this world.

I hope I'm wrong, but prepare yourself.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Any updates?
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top