Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 8:12:24 PM EDT
I posted this in the Texas hf but it doesn't seem to get much traffic.  My wife and I are thinking or getting a new rottweiler to replace one that died years ago that was very loved.  

I'm looking online but it seems all the breeders websites aren't updated.  Does anyone know of a reputable breeders in the area, not looking for a show dog or for breeding but don't want go deal with a puppy mill or crappie people looking for a buck.

Last one we bought from a guy who trained Leo dogs and was switching to mals.  I don't think anything can replace him though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#1]
we checked the AKC website and looked at breeders through there when we got our golden. it showed breeders with puppies available etc
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:10:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, never thought about looking at the akc website.  I'm kinda skeptical right now is the right time for me though, it's going to be hard to replace my other one that passed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, never thought about looking at the akc website.  I'm kinda skeptical right now is the right time for me though, it's going to be hard to replace my other one that passed.
View Quote

I had the same struggle.

Puppies cure all.

Dogs are never replaced, you just get new ones from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Few things cuter than a Rott pup.  
View Quote
They look like little bear cubs when they're in that infant stage

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had the same struggle.

Puppies cure all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same struggle.

Puppies cure all.

you speak the truth
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Show breeders don't exclusively breed show dogs. Meaning, not every puppy produced is a show quality animal. Usually the faults are minor. Maybe a few white hairs, or feet that aren't *quite* tight enough, or ears that are just a touch off where they're supposed to be. Things that a judge would notice, things that a breeder may not want to perpetuate in their lines, but nothing that impacts the dog in any way as a pet or companion. In any "show dog" litter, there may be 2 or 3 show dogs and the rest are destined for pet homes.

Nevertheless, the show breeders and performance breeders are where you find the reputable breeders. The ones who do appropriate health testing, temperament testing, and carefully plan each breeding to improve their own lines and hopefully the breed as a whole.

Check out the American Rottweiler Club, the Texican Rottweiler Club, and possibly Blackwood Rottweilers. Those can all give you excellent leads on getting a pup. And be patient. The perfect pup for you may not yet be born, but you can take the time to get to know the breeder and the lines and meet some of their dogs. That's not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Few things cuter than a Rott pup.  
View Quote

Truer words have never been spoken.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Show breeders don't exclusively breed show dogs. Meaning, not every puppy produced is a show quality animal. Usually the faults are minor. Maybe a few white hairs, or feet that aren't *quite* tight enough, or ears that are just a touch off where they're supposed to be. Things that a judge would notice, things that a breeder may not want to perpetuate in their lines, but nothing that impacts the dog in any way as a pet or companion. In any "show dog" litter, there may be 2 or 3 show dogs and the rest are destined for pet homes.

Nevertheless, the show breeders and performance breeders are where you find the reputable breeders. The ones who do appropriate health testing, temperament testing, and carefully plan each breeding to improve their own lines and hopefully the breed as a whole.

Check out the American Rottweiler Club, the Texican Rottweiler Club, and possibly Blackwood Rottweilers. Those can all give you excellent leads on getting a pup. And be patient. The perfect pup for you may not yet be born, but you can take the time to get to know the breeder and the lines and meet some of their dogs. That's not a bad thing.
View Quote

I can 2nd this.  Our Rott came from a show dog breeder.  I was just looking for a pet and preferably not a $1500 pet.  She has a slight underbite that you don't even see unless you know it's there.  Knocked her down to "pet quality" and she only has limited registration papers.  Best damn dog I have ever had and it's not even close.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Lew is second to none IMHO, high standards for breeding, published, and a great person.

I am not sure if she's in Houston however.

http://www.blackwoodrottweilers.com/about

My next Rottweiler will come from Lew
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Patience...
After losing my first little boy Rott to bone cancer (that was a real heartbreaker), I spent almost a year looking for another.
I ran across a local ad and found this guy who had 2 high dollar Euro imports that he bred and then kept the whole litter until they were 16 weeks old. I was the first one to respond to the ad and got the pick of the litter.
http://www.glocktalk.com/attachments/image-jpg.257858/
He has a tail and still has his dewclaws. I don't mint the tail, but I do wish he had the dewclaws removed.
Oh well, he is one hell of a dog. Full AKC registration, European pedigree and I didn't pay a fortune for him.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Check your local shelters, I got my female Rott from a shelter in Norcal. with a little training
she's been a great dog. 
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top