Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 9/19/2016 12:00:47 PM EDT
Anybody bake for their dogs?  I generally give Sarah a treat after a walk.  Stuff gets expensive though and I'm thinking it's cheaper to make your own.  Got recipes you care to share?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I just started making dog biscuits for my dogs.They love them and are very cheap to make.Here's the recipe...

Yield: About 2 dozen small treats Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 30minutes @ 350Total Time: 35-40 minutes

Recipe
Ingredients:
For Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Treats:
1 1/2 cups canned sweet potato or yams with juice(chunks or paste)
2 eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup peanut butter
You may have to add just a little bit of water if it gets too lumpy but you don't want it watery by any means.You want it about like pizza dough.

After mixing in my Kitchen Aid blender I take a rolling pin and roll the mixture out to about 1/4 inch thick or just slightly less.I dust the rolling pin and my rolling surface liberally with some of the wheat flour to keep the mixture from sticking.I have a cookie cutter in the shape of a dog biscuit I got at Williams Sonoma,it's about 4 inches long.Using the dog biscuit cookie cutter I cut out as many as I can and put on a lightly greased cookie sheet.What mixture I didn't use I roll out again 1/4 inch thick and cut out as many shapes as possible,repeat until all mixture is used up.Cook as directed about 35 minutes.

35 minutes cook time will leave them slightly softer than a milk bone.I keep some in a jar and the rest in a ziplock baggie in the fridge.My dogs go crazy over them and they are all natural.I've also experimented with adding a little apple sauce---they love them all.Here's a website with some recipes,I've modified my recipe from those shown.

http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/homemade-dog-treats/
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
not bake, freeze.

Chicken broth in icecube tray.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top