Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 9/17/2016 4:43:32 AM EDT
My 6 year old Boxer, Angel, died at 0320 as I was rushing her to the vet. Pretty certain it was due to a amoxicillin allergic reaction. She collapsed at home and was gone pretty quickly. I hope it was painless for her. It sure wasn't for us.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine what it will be like when/if something happened to mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That just sucks, brother.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Could have been dilated cardiomyopathy, it's very common in boxers. It took my sweet baby emma(fawn Doberman) from me. I am very sorry.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for your loss, unexpected is tough.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear that.  It's hard enough when you know it's coming.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your loss...
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry brother.  We get pretty attached to them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Furry kids are hard to lose, my sympathies.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
sucks I feel your pain

The worst thing about dogs is they don't live long enough.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Sorry
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Lets not kid ourselves...they are family members.... and more likeable and enjoyable then some blood relatives.  6 was to young...sorry for the loss.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry man
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn. Sorry man.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Could have been dilated cardiomyopathy, it's very common in boxers. It took my sweet baby emma(fawn Doberman) from me. I am very sorry.
View Quote

After speaking with the vet and a little research, I believe you are right. Angel went to the vet on 09/09 due to some growths on her gums and some swollen glands. The vet said she had a bacterial infection and started her on amoxicillin. Angel was scheduled to go in to have the growths removed and a full battery of tests on 09/22. The vet wanted to wait until the antibiotic treatment was complete.

On 09/16, we called the vet because Angel was breathing a little heavy. She wasn't panting or lethargic, but it didn't seem normal. The vet said it was likely due to her fighting the infection and if she started panting heavy or fainting to go to emergency vet. Everything was normal until around 0300. I had been laying on the floor with Angel and she got up to go outside. I let her out and she came and stood next to me on the couch for a few minutes while I was petting her. She left to go upstairs and I heard her collapse on the landing.

As soon as I saw her, I knew it was bad. I woke my wife up and we rolled towards the vet. I can't help but think if I would have taken her to the emergency vet earlier in the day that she might have made it. The only way to know for sure the cause is a necropsy and I didn't really see the point. Angel is being cremated and will be buried alongside our last dog.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's been a rough couple days. It's amazing how much time we really spend with our pets and how large a loss it is when they are gone. Every moment from my morning fiber bar (that she would get a small piece of) to going to bed (where she would act as my wife's back pillow) makes me miss her presence.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
sorry for your loss

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#22]
So sorry to hear man, I wish you and yours the best in this tough time
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#24]
i am very sorry for your loss

your grief proves how much love you gave that dog i am sure she knew it
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn. I'm sorry.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#26]

The Old Man and His Dog

An old man and his dog were walking along a country road, enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to the man that he had died. He remembered dying, and realized, too, that the dog had been dead for many years. He wondered where the road would lead them, and continued onward.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall, white arch that gleamed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He was pleased that he had finally arrived at heaven, and the man and his dog walked toward the gate. As he got closer, he saw someone sitting at a beautifully carved desk off to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, but is this heaven?"

"Yes, it is, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The gatekeeper gestured to his rear, and the huge gate began to open.

"I assume my friend can come in..." the man said, gesturing toward his dog.

But the reply was, "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought about it, then thanked the gatekeeper, turned back toward the road, and continued in the direction he had been going. After another long walk, he reached the top of another long hill, and he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate. There was no fence, and it looked as if the gate had never been closed, as grass had grown up around it. As he approached the gate, he saw a man just inside, sitting in the shade of a tree reading a book. "Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a well over there," the man said, pointing to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in and make yourself at home."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"He's welcome too, and there's a bowl by the well," he said. They walked through the gate and, sure enough, there was an old-fashioned well and a bowl next to it on the ground. The man filled the bowl for his dog, and then took a long drink himself. When both were satisfied, he and the dog walked back toward the man, who was sitting under the tree waiting for them, and asked, "What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "It certainly doesn't look like heaven, and there's another man down the road who said that place was heaven."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates?"

"Yes, it was beautiful."

"Nope. That's hell."

"Doesn't it offend you for them to use the name of heaven like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but it actually saves us a lot of time.   They screen out the people who are willing to leave their best friends behind."

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top