Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2016 12:50:04 PM EDT
Well It is official.  Stormy our 1/2 elkhound, sheltie mix has canine lymphoma. It is incurable.  Time frame is months not years.  She 11 yrs old.  She is still bouncy and fun like always.  We had her in the vet for a check up earlier this year and they did not find anything unusual.  We noticed she had lost a little weight and had started coughing.   Over the weekend we found 2 lumps.  Called the vet, and took her in today.     Lymph nodes front to back are swollen..    DAMN
Two weeks ago my Father in law died.  Now this.  My wife goes in for her 6 month cancer check up next week.  I sure hope bad things don't travel in threes.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry about this news OP. Nurture her as you always have until her time

Best wishes for your entire family in general.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope everything works out for you.  Tough time I'm sure.  Keep the faith.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought some beef leg bones today.  They were frozen and  were handed out.  I also bought some sardines in oil.  They dogs favorite treat.   Stormy will be getting more of the sardines because of the high calorie content .  Storm loves to lay down in the stream that flows through our property.   She will be able to lay there as much as she wants from n ow on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for you. Lost my last one to the same thing. Bit dusty in here right now...
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
After 11 years we had a visit from the farmers cattle from across the road.  The dogs went ballistic.   I was tempted to let the dogs out.   Stormy is coughing a little bit.   If she was healthy I would have let them out.  I don't know if she would be up to chasing some cows.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
My Dog Kaiser had it

I was lucky to be able to prolong it and keep him a live for close to a year.

In the end he passed on December 7th 2013

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you do any thing special to prolong Kaisers life?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Wife's cancer check turned out good..  Finally some good news.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Stormy had lost about a quarter of her body weight.  We have been trying to find some thing she would eat.  Looks like cheap canned dog food from the Family Dollar worked.  3/4 quarters of the caned stuff mixed with her usual dry food and she scarfed it right up.  I hope getting her to eat more will help her.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My Rudy <---- was diagnosed with lymphoma 12/27, went through 4+ months of chemo, but the cancer as just too aggressive and we lost him in May.

He had a brief period where he wouldn't eat, so we were spoon feeding him baby food and honey (not mixed)

Sorry, man.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
when my last Golden Bailey got bone cancer he loved piblix fried chicken, bacon and eggs and five guys burgers. there wasn't a day that went by that someone wasn't bringing him his favorite meals
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Both dogs love Chicken McNuggets.   I have been stopping at McDonald's a lot lately.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#13]
We ave got her to eat more. It looks like she has added a little weight.  We also started giving her 1 baby coated aspirin with food in the morning.  She is moving better.  Stormy's tail was always wagging.  It had stopped wagging last week.  I noticed today she is wagging her tail.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like you are doing good work caring for her as age and health complicate her life.

Just remember to for the point where you are no longer doing it mainly for her, but are doing it mainly for yourself.  Then it's time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
We took Stormy to the Rainbow bridge today.  She had her favorite food of sardines last night.   Her tail never stopped wagging.  God I am going to miss her..
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
You always will......so sorry
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top