Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 8/29/2016 3:45:08 PM EDT
I'm a dog person. Very allergic to cats though. I've only seen 1 cat in my neighborhood....ever. Well Saturday we get ready to leave and hear meowing under the truck. Almost ran over a female black and white adult and her 3-4 week old solid white kitten.

I'm allergic, but I can handle somewhat as long as I wash clothes and hands after handling. The wife played with them though for a minute and we left. Got home that night and they were still at our door. The kitten was full of fleas. I treat my yard quarterly and my dog is on monthly flea and tick meds. Not happy about the fleas so we take off to Walmart at midnight for flea shampoo and flea collar for momma cat. Momma cat got a flea collar and the little one has been bathed twice and we picked every single flea off of her. And cat food to feed them.

As you can imagine, they haven't left our front porch. The wife is out of town for a week and I'm stuck with them. I want to help but it's going to be very marginal due to my allergy. Every time I walk outside the kitten stumbles up to me and the mamma cat brushes against me....ugh!

It's Texas, so now (yep, you guessed it) it's raining! Cats are meowing on the front porch and every time I open the door they both make a beeline to try to get inside. I feel bad for them, but I just can't deal with this. Why did they pick my house? Never seen them before. I put signs out and knocked on a few doors....nothing.

Any suggestions? Or takers? I'll deliver up to 1 hour from greater Houston area and will pay $100 to anyone that will take them (long-term) and give them a decent home. Even if they are just outside cats. Pics to follow
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
At the risk of being stuck with pins via a vodoo doll, and I Actually like cats.

Perhaps a Catapult?
An old joke told by a neighbor which I did not really like.

We did have a cat, but he died at 18 years and we decided to stay with dogs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd see if there's a Friends of Feral Felines chapter or a good no-kill shelter and call them to pick them up. Your vet may know who to call as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Aw, fuck me, the momma kitty looks just like our cat we lost on Friday (I'm in Virginia. If I was in Texas I'd already be IM'ing you and in the car).

If the mother let you put a collar on her, she isn't feral. She's a stray and knows what the indoors are. This is actually how my wife adopted our cat, she was a stray with a kitten or two. She was found in a clothes donation box with her kittens. They were all adopted out. Call some shelters and somebody can take them. As the guy above me said, vets usually know who to call as well.

Do you have a garage or other covered area they can hang out in?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Well wish you were closer. As of yesterday, the momma cat is gone. Nowhere to be found. I've been feeding and watering the kitten and playing with her daily. Despite my allergy to cats. It actually hasn't been too bad with the kitten. Way worse with adult cats. I just can't put her in my house or garage. I let her in the foyer for an hour or so and she plays with my dog...who is very gentle and timid lab/pit mix. Then I vacuum and mop afterwards. I'm trying to find her a good home.

We are heading out Friday for the long weekend. Can't bring her to the lake cabin obviously. Will ask my neighbor to feed her I guess while we are gone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks OP for taking care of the kitten and I hope momma shows back up.  Good luck and I hope you can find the little one a good home.

Edit.  If you are Texas you may consider cross posting this to the Texas Home Town Forum and maybe even GD.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top