Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 8/10/2016 5:10:28 PM EDT
For the 8 year old boy.  He has no idea what he wants..  Waffles to around to most every breed out there.

We have a 4 year old German Wirehair Pointer who does not have a strong prey drive for anything but birds.  She ignores rabbits and other small mammals so no concern about that.

Currently small house and small yard.  Needs to be sturdy enough to play with the GWP.  She is gentle but gets overexcited and tends to run through and over things sometimes.  Actual play she does fine with small dogs, gentle and tones down the roughness.

Want low maintenance, odds of good health, and not yappy.

Not afraid of a mix at the pound, but looking for ideas of what to look for.

I'll be getting another GWP or similar in 2 years to train up as another bird dog which will be "my dog", but the kid and his Mom want a dog of their own.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Male Dachshund, Neutered of course.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Shih tzu
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
small terrier - like a scottish or pitcairn.  feisty, fun little bastards
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shih tzu
View Quote
yeah and the don't shed or shit much.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Corgi. Seriously. They are the bad ass, smart, fearless, easy to train, herding dog.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Corgi. Seriously. They are the bad ass, smart, fearless, easy to train, herding dog.
View Quote

This.  They're mini GSDs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like Corgis, but I think the Coton de Tulear is probably a better "small dog."  (The Corgi is a short dog...)

If you're buying in the USA, avoid AKC affiliated breeders.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
French Bulldog

" />

best buddies
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like Corgis, but I think the Coton de Tulear is probably a better "small dog."  (The Corgi is a short dog...)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw Cotons , if you need a "taller" dog then get a Swedish Vallhund. Same as the Corgi but with legs
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Westies and Carins. Great temperament and great with kids.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Really depends on what your idea of small is. Are you talking small as in under 10 lbs? Under 20? Under a certain height? Does it need to be a cuddly lap dog, or will a feisty, energetic dog be more his speed?

A quick rundown might include

Australian Terrier

Border Terrier

Corgi

Havanese

Tibetan Spaniel

Keep in mind that corgis can have back problems and terriers can get a little vocal and need regular coat upkeep and management.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Around 20-25lbs would be ideal

If there was such a thing..  a miniature lab would be ideal.

Cuddly, playful, quiet (understanding most smaller dogs can be a bit yappy),

I forgot about Corgi's, that's definitely an option.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Take a long look at a Brittany. They're slightly larger than what you specified, but otherwise would fit the bill nicely.

The Border Terrier would still work, although a bit smaller than 20-25 lbs usually. An Irish Terrier could suit, and a Miniature American Shepherd (like a small Australian Shepherd) if you don't mind dealing with shedding.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
They told me she was a Lab/Terrier mix. She weighs 29 lbs and is a great companion dog.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Corgies!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had Corgis for 35 years. Fantastic little shits. Not yappy. Ya gotta have two of them, however, to really enjoy them.  I've had as many as five at one time, not intentionally, but by circumstances.

That said, the only negative I can think of is that they SHED. A lot, and if that's potentially an issue, proceed accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#17]

My dad who is 82 has a couple of these little shits... they are really fun.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Now they want a smaller lab which makes me happy.  It will be a 60lb dog, more or less.  Easy to find and a better playmate for the GWP.  They will keep each other in great physical shape playing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#19]
we just got a female Golden puppy for the family. great dogs
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Jack Russell Terrorist.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Now they want a smaller lab which makes me happy.  It will be a 60lb dog, more or less.  Easy to find and a better playmate for the GWP.  They will keep each other in great physical shape playing.
View Quote

Look at English Labs, they are a little smaller and calmer than American Labs and the ones I've met have all been wonderful pets.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Yep, this.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Jack/Parsons Russell.  Great small dog...lots of energy and super smart.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Having spent a decade in various animal shelters, just say no to anything under 40 pounds.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Honestly, get a mutt. We have a corgi/Chihuahua/only god knows mix that is fearless, one hell of a guard dog, great with kids, stupid protective of my wife, and plays with our 90lbs Rotterman regularly. For your application I would find a Corgi mix, most purebred Corgis I have met are just dicks
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Shih Tsu. No shedding, loyal dogs, great for people who may have asthma...all in all just a great little dog with a looong life span.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#27]
schipperke

I had one, They are like a 1/4 scale GSD with all the attitude.
don't shed much either, impervious to rain, snow or heat...they are the honey badger of small dogs
intensely loyal too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schipperke
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Cairn Terrier. Smart, loyal and really cool dogs. Just like Toto.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Final decision was made today, we just put a deposit on a female springer spaniel.  Price was right and we loved the parents.  We pick her up Sunday 11/20.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Should have bought a heeler.

They are the biggest little assholes ever.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Miniature Schnauzer is a personal favorite of mine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
schipperke

I had one, They are like a 1/4 scale GSD with all the attitude.
don't shed much either, impervious to rain, snow or heat...they are the honey badger of small dogs
intensely loyal too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schipperke
View Quote

I second this recommendation. Great small dog breed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Final decision was made today, we just put a deposit on a female springer spaniel.  Price was right and we loved the parents.  We pick her up Sunday 11/20.
View Quote

Congrats on your new pack member!
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Patterdale terrier
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Field bred cocker spaniel
Smart, loving, small
and you can train them up to be dynamite grouse and pheasant dogs as well.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm biased towards Corgis...but the Cardigans....not the Pembroke. "Pems" can be on the asshole side of things...our Cardigan has been the complete opposite. He's a complete clown, easy going, and loves to chill. IF you decide to look at the breed...make sure they are "DM clear".
He gets along with our Rottweiler great.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#38]
All dogs are great.  Please don't pass up rescue dogs.  Many shelters/pounds have all sorts of rescues.  I love border collies, and while I had my big border collie, my wife wanted a little dog, so we adopted a rescue from a shelter.  He was 5.5 pounds, and very emaciated.  8 years later, he weighs 9,5 pounds, and since old age took my border collie, he has bonded to me something fierce.   In all fairness, I have bonded to him too.  when I go shooting, my  wife says he watches the front door, and garage door to see if it is me.  If it sounds like a car is coming into the drive way ,he gets all worked up.  He is very happy when the three of us are all back together (wife, dog, me).  

Rescues will usually surprise you by their loyalty and affection.   Take your son to a shelter, and see if he hits it off with one of the dogs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Edit - sorry just saw you picked

girlfriend has a 4 year old cavalier king charles spaniel or whatever

honestly hes not a bad little dog. Quiet, lazy, doesn't make any messes and isn't expensive to take care of. Seems genuinely happy to see you each day.

And his does this hilarious show me your wiener thing when he wants you to rub his belly. I don't mind him.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Miniature Schnauzer is a personal favorite of mine.
View Quote

I agree x2
Attachment Attached File
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top