Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 7/20/2016 10:29:16 AM EDT
In the battle of wits with my dog , I appear to be losing. I bought a lockable garbage from wal mart but that doesn't seem to do the trick.  I'm assuming when he knocks the garbage over the latch gets bumped and comes unlocked. Primarily I am looking for a garbage he can't get into. Additionally I am open to any tips or tricks you all may have.   I am contemplating securing the garbage to the wall....
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Spray pepper spray all over it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Small can on the counter?  

We had to use a bungee cord to secure a can into the pantry closet w/ our family boxer.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If he's doing it when you're there...train him not to do it?  Or if you're not there keep that area blocked off?  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll be a lot happier in the long run if you address the behavioral issue as opposed to just physically preventing him from getting what he wants. My dogs have never gotten in the garbage because they were taught from day one that it was not acceptable. It's all about teaching your dog rules, boundaries, and limitations.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used this one for years OP and it's great.

eta: There's a cute video demonstration in the link also

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I got s second dog. He stopped getting in the trash when we are gone.

I would also keep the trash lower than the can lid, and would sometimes put it on the oven to keep it out of reach
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a friend who swears by mouse traps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a friend who swears by mouse traps.
View Quote

Worked for my GSD. Nothing like hearing it, then 40lbs of puppy wanting wanting in bed.  Lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll be a lot happier in the long run if you address the behavioral issue as opposed to just physically preventing him from getting what he wants. My dogs have never gotten in the garbage because they were taught from day one that it was not acceptable. It's all about teaching your dog rules, boundaries, and limitations.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top