Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/27/2016 8:36:04 PM EDT
So after our eight year old male boxer died unexpectedly in February the wife and I put down a deposit on a cane corso (aka: Italian mastiff).  The breeder contacted me yesterday with news she had a litter of seven pups and three of them are male.  Between my wife, seven year old daughter, and female west highland terrier our house is estrogen overload and I need another dude around.  We've decided to name him Barrett but have no pictures of him yet.  The breeder is suppose to send us some pictures of the litter in the next few days.  Even after we get pictures we won't know which one he is for 4-6 weeks when the breeder makes that determination based on their temperaments.  Temperament is very important to us and the breeder since our daughter is still fairly young.  It's going to drive me crazy not having a "face" to put with his name for another month.  Anyway, I'm super excited and the wife is out of town for a few days so I just wanted to share my excitement with someone.

Update 4/28/16

We just got photos.  Two of them are black brindle and one is chestnut brindle.

"Male 1"

"Males 2 & 3"
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had to google that breed - that's a big ol' dog.

Your Westie is going to have her hands/paws full.

View Quote

He should be pretty good sized.  This is his daddy.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
They're adorable!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful dog. Aren't they closely related to mastiffs, which would make them pretty good with kids?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Beautiful dog. Aren't they closely related to mastiffs, which would make them pretty good with kids?
View Quote

Yes, they are in the mastiff family and closely related to the Neapolitan mastiff. The breed was originally developed to guard property and livestock. They were also used to hunt large game such as boar so they have a pretty strong prey drive and if not properly trained they could view a running screaming child as "prey". With that being said they are very loyal too and protective over their family, including children. I spent several weeks researching the breed and their blood lines play a large part in their temperament. My breeder is also a dog trainer so he will be with her till 12 weeks old being thoroughly socialized and trained with children and other animals. I'm not trying to make the breed sound super scary or anything but this is a powerful breed. I have a friend who has one and he is a very even tempered amazing dog.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
So after seven weeks we just found out this little guy is the one we're getting. The breeder says he is "pretty chill" and a good foot warmer.  

Barrett at 7 weeks old.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I just want to squeeze him!!!

Ears getting cropped or left natural?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just want to squeeze him!!!

Ears getting cropped or left natural?
View Quote

They are getting cropped on Saturday.  Breeder said she would take lots of pics.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I would LOVE one of those dogs!

Gorgeous pups!
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would LOVE one of those dogs!

Gorgeous pups!
View Quote

The breeder just posted on FB about 20 mins ago she has a black brindle female from this litter available.  Hit me back if you want her contact info.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
How are Cane's with children?

ETA cute fellow
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How are Cane's with children?

ETA cute fellow
View Quote
varies by individual dog's personality, how much exposure the dog had to kids in it's formative years, and how well the kids are taught to be 'dog savvy' - teaching them to not pull tails and ears, how to read dog body language, etc.

That being said, as a breed the Cane Coso is going to be better with kids than say a Presa Canario or Dogo Argentino, but not as good with kids as say a Rottweiler.  It's definitely not going to be falling on someone's short list of kid-friendly dog breeds
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool OP, thanks for sharing.  I have a "big scary dog" (American Bulldog) and he's great with our 3.5 year old.  You hit the nail on the head; all about socializing, training the dog, and training the family to respect the dog and its space.  The dog is not a toy, the dog is not a chair
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]
He's completed his first week of training and has three more before flying home on July 18th.  The breeder says he's really laid back and doesn't cry in his crate.  She's also commented several times on how large he is already.  The wife and I are super excited to get him home.

Barrett a 8 1/2 weeks, 1 week post ear crop.

Good view of his chestnut brindle coloring.  I think he's gorgeous but I'm pretty bias.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He's completed his first week of training and has three more before flying home on July 18th.  The breeder says he's really laid back and doesn't cry in his crate.  She's also commented several times on how large he is already.  The wife and I are super excited to get him home.

Barrett a 8 1/2 weeks, 1 week post ear crop.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv214/ICON_636/Barrett%204_zpsnlhj6awa.jpg

Good view of his chestnut brindle coloring.  I think he's gorgeous but I'm pretty bias.  
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv214/ICON_636/cd96eae6-246b-4ef9-a1fe-8f405e58fca7_zpsxwzilify.jpg
View Quote

That's a Damn cool Looking pup.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My next dog will probably be a Corso.   Well, the next dog I get and not the next rescue my girl brings hime.  Lol.  

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the cropped ears.  Either way it's a fine lookin dog.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
It's the dog that ate Ramsay Bolton.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Barret at 10 weeks.  Only 13 days till he comes home!

He's starting to get those long legs.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll post some pics once my computer decides to cooperate, but my 2y/o Cane Corso Kali is amazing. She's my princess and i baby the shit out of her (fiance is less than pleased with that). They're great with kids but tend not to realize how big they are; Kali is 135# and can put front paws on my shoulders (I'm 6ft btw). All of my friends that have them with kids had young kids when they got the puppies. They are all amazing together, no one will ever get near those kids without the dogs permission.
As with all big dogs though make sure you stay consistent with they're training or they will run your house (not even shock collars or electric fences have slowed down Kali when she wants something). Never met one with actual temperament issues though, all have been very friendly unless their owner was upset.

PM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Op your family will have a great new addition. Have you discussed congenital problems and the remedy if your
pup is afflicted? Things such as reinbursment of fees? Also go over proper supliments and diet
 The big old fighting breeds have been breed into being lambs. That is trained lambs, for both your pup and rest
of the family. My wife and I have had English Bulldogs for the past 19 years or so. We have loved and laughed with
each one over that time. Best of luck to you and your family.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Op your family will have a great new addition. Have you discussed congenital problems and the remedy if your
pup is afflicted? Things such as reinbursment of fees?
Also go over proper supliments and diet
 The big old fighting breeds have been breed into being lambs. That is trained lambs, for both your pup and rest
of the family. My wife and I have had English Bulldogs for the past 19 years or so. We have loved and laughed with
each one over that time. Best of luck to you and your family.
View Quote

Health and temperament were our major concerns when choosing a breeder and we were very selective. He has a two year health guarantee with full replacement if a problem arises.  The breeder is an AKC Breeder of Merit, and AKC Breeder with H.E.A.R.T.

He comes from good stock. His mother is an AKC Grand Champion, and his maternal grandfather is also an AKC Grand Champion.  

He got checked out by a vet today and was cleared to fly.  The breeder is contacting me this evening with the flight info.  I'm so pumped!  Only a few more days.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll post some pics once my computer decides to cooperate, but my 2y/o Cane Corso Kali is amazing. She's my princess and i baby the shit out of her (fiance is less than pleased with that). They're great with kids but tend not to realize how big they are; Kali is 135# and can put front paws on my shoulders (I'm 6ft btw). All of my friends that have them with kids had young kids when they got the puppies. They are all amazing together, no one will ever get near those kids without the dogs permission.
As with all big dogs though make sure you stay consistent with they're training or they will run your house (not even shock collars or electric fences have slowed down Kali when she wants something). Never met one with actual temperament issues though, all have been very friendly unless their owner was upset.

PM me if you have any questions.
View Quote

I'd love to see pics.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I applaud you bringing the dog home at 11-12 weeks vs the 8-9 weeks.

For everyone who sees this dog and thinks 'cool puppy...plus adult looks AWESOME'  stop right there.  If this thread is the first time you've ever thought about owning a Cane Corso, the breed isn't for you.  

This is a breed where you need to have

#1 some serious good dog experience already, and I'm not talking about a multi-poo or labradoodle that still has 'potty accidents' at age 3.  

#2 willing to do some serious research to understand the dog's lineage (what behavioral genetics are you getting? Stable or unstable?, how strong the various drives are, etc)

#3 finding not just a breeder with the right dog, but the right BREEDER based on what they do with the pup from day 1 until you get the dog.  This will take time, phone calls, and visits...not just surfing the web.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top