Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/1/2016 5:07:11 PM EDT
So we tried a newish combination Flea/heartworm med for my dog called Sentinel. It doesn't actually kill fleas just prevents them from breeding.

Indoor outdoor dog. Gave it a try for a few months to see if it would work with regular baths.

Doesn't keep then under control so I'm going to put her back on drops and the cats too.

Anyone have any recommendations and best prices for them? Thinking Frontline.

I just got done reading some horror stories of Hartz brand stuff killing cats, don't know how true that stuff is but I don't know anything about the actual medicines, don't want to take any chances.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
We use sentinel for certain parasites and heart worm. We use K9 Advantix II (two) for our dog and Advantage for our cats and have had zero issues for 4 years.
We place the Advantix II in 4 different spots on the dogs back  Cat only one
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Advantix ll is the stuff.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah yes. Forgot about that brand.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I ditched drops all together. I went to the vet and got comfortis for my cats.

Fleas were dropping dead within the hour they were dosed.

The vet I get it from sells it cheaper than the chemical drops.

A 6 month supply costs me about 28 bucks, where the frontline was about 65.

Comfortis is made for both dogs and cats.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Comforts is great but it doesn't prevent against ticks. Nexgard and bravecto are two new canine oral flea and tick preventatives.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
K9 Advantix II for the pup. It's one of the few that include Permethrin, which is an actual flea and tick repellent. Much better than Frontline.

Frontline for the cat (Permethrin is not good for cats).

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

+1.

We use Trifexis (Comfortis + a heartworm and intestinal parasite treatment) here for the dogs, and because it works so well, we haven't found a reason to treat the (mostly) indoor cat herd.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Good thread.  When I go back in May to bring Sarah to the vet, I'll ask about flea and tick control.  Sarah gets her second anti-snake venom then.  Her brother won't be getting it. He has cancer and the vet gave him a few weeks to live.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm using Bravecto.  I've already found a dead tick in the dog's bed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]
This.

It works.

Your dog will smell like cedar
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Frontline for the dag, Revolution for the kitteh
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1.
We use Trifexis (Comfortis + a heartworm and intestinal parasite treatment) here for the dogs, and because it works so well, we haven't found a reason to treat the (mostly) indoor cat herd.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

this is what we use and I also am very good at putting down flea killer in the yard.  can I ask how much you spend on the trifexis?  I just dropped 240 bucks on a year supply for the one dog 80 pounds.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

this is what we use and I also am very good at putting down flea killer in the yard.  can I ask how much you spend on the trifexis?  I just dropped 240 bucks on a year supply for the one dog 80 pounds.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

When we buy through our vet, the 60-120 lb dose is $28 each, and the 40-59.9 lb is $27.

You can buy it about 25% cheaper online than that, through places like http://www.californiapetpharmacy.com/trifexis-heartworm-flea-prevention.html

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top