Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2016 10:16:24 PM EDT
He started throwing up un sunday but remained playful , he didn't eat, on monday he was more lethargic but still active, I thought it was a little virus but then he had an stool with blood on it, so we took him to the emergency room at 1a.m , he is a little chihuahua, we got him when he was 4 months and the lady told us he had his shots, I guess she lied , he is 8 months now , I talked to the vet this afternoon and she told me he looks good , he didn't throw up again but he still had diarrhea , his white and red cells are normal and his liver and kidneys where ok too , which is the good news, the bad is that he is very small the vet said, so he doesn't have a lot of mass.

I don't understand why the vet said he has a 50/50 chance if everything looks good. He is a great puppy I really hope he makes it. Prayers for him are welcome , I have a 7 and a 9 year old that won't stop asking about Taco.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Prayers sent.  Hope your little guy recovers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I also pray the lil guy makes it through okay

And You too .
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Best of luck to you and the little guy. Puppies can still contract parvo even if they've been vaccinated, especially if they haven't received the entire series of shots. I guess she probably didn't give you vaccination records, though. Poor little pup.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Hope your dog gets better, I've seen several survive having parvo.

On the shots part, my sisters 1yo dog got parvo and it had all his shots. The vet contacted the people that make the shots and they covered all of the dogs treatment expenses.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Long time Chihuahua owner.  Good luck.  I'm hoping your little one pulls through
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Hope Taco makes it OP!
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't understand why the vet said he has a 50/50 chance if everything looks good.
View Quote

It's because he's small.
One of the big problems with Parvo is it dehydrates an animal, a small dog almost can't replace liquids lost through the purging.
Kills similar to Cholera in that regard.
Also, at his age, may lead to more complications later on.

Also, think about disinfecting everything he came in contact with.
Food bowls, bedding, clean all feces, disinfect places he urinates, get rid of used toys ect...
Parvo sticks around for a while.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#8]
You need to tell the breeder/seller also, chances are that the house and yard are infested with it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Taco came home yesterday, he was looking very sick , not really moving or doing anything, they gave us fluid to administer under the skin, some medicine to prevent infection and some to stop the vomit. Last night he got up and had some water, i got up this morning about 05:00 to force feed him and he looked a lot better, he even tried to jump on the bed . I put some food on his plate and he ate it. We've been doing the under the skin fluids and he is drinking from his bowl as well, he is so hydrated that my son was watching him take a leak and he said  " look it's like a water gun '!!!! .

I think after the improvement I saw today he has a very good chance, thank you guys for the prayers and the good wishes. I'll post a picture of taco later.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Good to hear OP.  Hope he keeps improving!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#11]
That's good news OP. tagging for pics of Taco.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#12]
My dog had parvo when he was a puppy. Refused to eat. Seemed like he was sad.
Vet told me the same thing 50-50.

That was 10 years ago. He's still around tearing shit up.

Have faith. This message brought to you by an agnostic!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a couple of weeks before he got sick, he is half chihuahua and half winnie.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:25:37 AM EDT
[#14]
update?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He started throwing up un sunday but remained playful , he didn't eat, on monday he was more lethargic but still active, I thought it was a little virus but then he had an stool with blood on it, so we took him to the emergency room at 1a.m , he is a little chihuahua, we got him when he was 4 months and the lady told us he had his shots, I guess she lied , he is 8 months now , I talked to the vet this afternoon and she told me he looks good , he didn't throw up again but he still had diarrhea , his white and red cells are normal and his liver and kidneys where ok too , which is the good news, the bad is that he is very small the vet said, so he doesn't have a lot of mass.

I don't understand why the vet said he has a 50/50 chance if everything looks good. He is a great puppy I really hope he makes it. Prayers for him are welcome , I have a 7 and a 9 year old that won't stop asking about Taco.
View Quote

Because Parvo is really bad.  Even if things are "looking good", they can still go south fast.  Vet probably should have said "cautiously optimistic."

ETA - Glad to hear he's getting better!
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Any updates op? I had a husky that got parvo even though I had given her all her shots. She was sick for couple weeks but pulled through. I'm hoping to hear a happy update from your pup as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#17]
The day we got taco back he still looked very sick, we gave him under the skin fluids for 3 more days but by the 4th day he was well enough to try to get away  he started eating the 3 day we got him home ( exactly a week after he first started puking ) it took him 3 more days to go poop for the first time sinc his stomach was empty.

The only change we noticed was that he was very aggressive towards our other dog, it took about a week for that to go away. Now 3 weeks and 3 grand later he is back to normal. Thank you guys for your support and prayers.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Great news!! He might feel threatened because he's "sickly/injured" and needs to keep some space between your other pup. Should go away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The day we got taco back he still looked very sick, we gave him under the skin fluids for 3 more days but by the 4th day he was well enough to try to get away  he started eating the 3 day we got him home ( exactly a week after he first started puking ) it took him 3 more days to go poop for the first time sinc his stomach was empty.

The only change we noticed was that he was very aggressive towards our other dog, it took about a week for that to go away. Now 3 weeks and 3 grand later he is back to normal. Thank you guys for your support and prayers.

View Quote

Damn. $3k!
I had a mutt catch parvo years ago while I was in college. The vet must have taken pity on me, as it only cost me $300. They kept her for observation for 3 days and administered fluids/nutrition via IV.
She bounced back quickly, and is now lounging around as an old dog some 10 years later.

Im happy to here your little buddy came through!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#20]
yea for the Taco

OP very glad for you and the pup
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top