Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2016 7:18:06 PM EDT
So I recently decided that the dog food I had been buying just wasn't good enough to keep feeding them, even though I enjoyed paying 32.00 for 40lbs of Lassie Dog food. My dogs liked it, but it wasn't the best and I could afford better. When I take my German Shepperd mix with me to work, I always bring a sample pack of food I get from the store because Its sealed and the perfect serving size. The sample packs were Taste of Wild and he just loved that stuff. So I was on break and sitting with him while he finished up the food and decided to read the back ingredients, and was AMAZED. So much real meats and vegetables and fruits, so I decided to go ahead and get them a big bag of it for 30 bucks, 15lbs. They both have been eating less, but always cleaning their bowls which is new for them to do, and exhibiting a lot more energy and not having any diarrhea or constipation. So it has me wondering, What do you guys feed yours? Do you go economy like I did or top of the line like Blue Buffalo?

This is the one I'm feeding them now.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, I switch from Taste of the Wild to Blue and back every few months ordered and delivered from Chewey.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Blue Buffalo. Just spent $35 for a 15# bag, but I just have the one dag and it lasts 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I would strongly recommend avoiding blue buffalo; more expensive does not mean it's a better food.

blue buffalo lawsuit
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Royal canin
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
sweet potatoes, wild rice, string beans, lettuce, ground beef, chicken, fish, pork, kahle turkey
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Pop tarts for breakfast, plain old dog food for outdoor deviants.  Some grain free salmon high dollar something for the wife's damn English bulldog...it still has gas bad enough to clear the house once a day at least.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
An egged fried in olive oil for breakfast and then a mix of different Blue Buffalo Wilderness.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would strongly recommend avoiding blue buffalo; more expensive does not mean it's a better food.

blue buffalo lawsuit
View Quote

I actually saw this when I was considering switching to Taste of wild. But I see so many really good looking brands its hard to choose what would be the absolute best. I'm thinking I made a good choice.

Also, what do you guys give them for treats? I was giving them rawhide's until I realized how bad they were, then switched to ham shanks or ham soup-bones  with the occasional deer antler.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Regal Lean Bites.

If you want to go Full Spoiled, just feed what Fluffy does.  There's significant cooking involved though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:18:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Nutro Ultra. Supposedly its good stuff. For the price it better be.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Orijen 6 fish.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got two mutts so the ultra expensive options aren't feasible for us.

I've had good luck with Pure Balance Bison and Pea.  Rated high by the internets, good list of ingredients, can be purchased at Wal-Mart, doesn't break the bank.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Using 4Health Grain Free. Started them with Blue buffalo but switched over to 4Health due to overweight issues.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Raw chicken bones and all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
1 part chicken
2 parts yam
3 parts brown rice

Our GSD and Akita/Malamute thrived on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult Healthy Weight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#17]
TOTW is good stuff, now that I have a local shop that carries Acana  I switched my baby-eater to that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Kirkland Signature from Costco.  I believe it is made by Diamond and scores way up there in the dog food ratings.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Purina Dog Chow.

Used it for decades, all my dogs like it, and they seem to do well on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#20]
TOTW here..amazon prime drops it off monthly to my back porch.      My mutt loves it

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Puppy Chicken Recipe
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Diamond. Original in the summer premium in the winter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Cats and birds.

German Shepherds love 'em

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cats and birds.

View Quote

I laughed hard.

My dogs hateeee cats and squirrels. They spot one, and its over. I have almost been drug down the street while walking both at the same time when they spotted one.

The Pitt, is however TERRIFIED of my wife's pet hedgehog. He will jump over the couch to get away from it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I laughed hard.

My dogs hateeee cats and squirrels. They spot one, and its over. I have almost been drug down the street while walking both at the same time when they spotted one.

The Pitt, is however TERRIFIED of my wife's pet hedgehog. He will jump over the couch to get away from it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cats and birds.

I laughed hard.

That is not 'hate' brother.

The dog has figured out that there is MEAT inside those furbags...
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#26]

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/sportmix-wholesomes-dog-food/

I feed the lamb and rice version they reviewed. I didn't choose it based on the review, I have two mutts (one beagle mix, one great shepardish dog) and this was something they both agreed on at a price I could handle
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Taste of the Wild. Although it appears that Tractor Supply is phasing this out...
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Mostly raw with Taste of the Wild and Orijen to supplement. Vegetables, brown rice and beans as well. I kill 2 deer for my wife and myself to eat, and 5-10 to freeze for the dog to last all year. Rabbit, squirrel, wild pigs, turkey, chickens and goats as well.

Typical meal for her is a pound of ground meat, or meat on the bone. A couple eggs, cup of rice and raw veggies, cup of kibble. Every other meal I'll add organs. Once a week I'll kill a chicken or rabbit and throw it to her outside to chow down on. A few times (weather permitting) after either killing a deer or getting a fresh road killed one, I'll just put the entire thing in the yard and let mine and my brothers dog get after it wolf style. Two 100lb GSDs can eat a small Georgia whitetail in 2-3 days

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Alpo is usually on the menu for my  malinois. Every now and then kibbles and bits for her. She also loves steak and gravy as well as keystone light.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#30]
4Health is a pretty good dog food we do grain free beef for the 2 year old lab and grain freeish( we where under the impression  it was grain free our fault for not looking closer both dogs will be on the grain free beef in the next couple  of months)  lamb for the puppy
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#31]
We just bought our first 3 bags of Authority Grain Free large breed, for the Mastiff.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#32]
B.A.R.F diet    Mostly raw chicken with bones and during hunting season venison ribs and necks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#33]
FROMM - Adult
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#34]
We've been feeding our Lab-Pointer mix dog Fromm Gold Adult since he turned one at the end of January.  He seems to be doing well with it, his coat looks healthy, he has A LOT of playful energy etc.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine is back on Orijen 6-Fish. It's the only way I can keep her alopecia at bay.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine gets Fromm Gold twice a day and he is healthy with soft, shiny fur. I am happy with those kind of results
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I had never heard of Fromm so I looked it up, and am very impressed! I may be giving this a try

From their website so you don't have to google it for other interested party's

" Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat, Lamb, Potatoes, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Whole Egg, Salmon Oil, Cheese, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Alfalfa Meal, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Chicken Cartilage, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Calcium Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Vitamins, Minerals, Probiotics."

A solid dog food for sure
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Orijen regional red. Not cheap but my 6 year old dogs are faster, better looking, and more energetic than most 1 year Olds out there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 4:39:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I feed mine taste of the wild fowl.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Another vote for FROMM gold. My puppy has been on the large Breed version since he started kibble. Most beautiful coat I've ever seen in a lab. He also has a ton Of energy. I recommend it to everyone now, can't speak highly enough. Best prices I've seen are on chewy.com with subscription monthly.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Another vote for FROMM gold. My puppy has been on the large Breed version since he started kibble. Most beautiful coat I've ever seen in a lab. He also has a ton Of energy. I recommend it to everyone now, can't speak highly enough. Best prices I've seen are on chewy.com with subscription monthly.  

View Quote

How much is it if you don't mind me asking? I'm almost out of the big bad of Taste of wild I got and may end up ordering some. Is there a subscription fee for Chewy?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How much is it if you don't mind me asking? I'm almost out of the big bad of Taste of wild I got and may end up ordering some. Is there a subscription fee for Chewy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fromm Salmon at our local Hollywood feed is $60.41 for a thirty pound bag.

I see on Amazon, Fromm Gold is $58.99 for 33 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.chewy.com/s?rh=fromm&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo_y4BRD0nMnfoqqnxtEBEiQAWdA12wWvAt_dZF580Nh4MOoQCpbRGIJumyT42VIJH81cXN4aAsxg8P8HAQ
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.chewy.com/s?rh=fromm&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo_y4BRD0nMnfoqqnxtEBEiQAWdA12wWvAt_dZF580Nh4MOoQCpbRGIJumyT42VIJH81cXN4aAsxg8P8HAQ

This...usually around $42-46. Flucuates very slightly but not more than that really. There is no fee, actually the opposite. You get like 2% off or something. I haven't looked in a while. It's free delivery, usually arrives BEFORE the charge even hits my bank account. Kinda funny actually.

Eta if you buy a bag locally ask them about the rebate program. FROMM lets you save your UPC codes from the bags and turn them in, every 10 bags gets you 1 free. The brick and mortar stores usually have the little rebate forms. Can be a pain in ass to find a store that carries it though.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#45]
purina one from Sams club 55 pound bag for 40 bucks lamb and rice,  all 3 dogs tear it out of frame........

I give them fish oil and that dinovite stuff

going for Salmon oil off amazon next payday.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Iams Chicken & Barley. He likes it and it makes him shiny.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I ran out of food, so I had to get Taste again, But next time I will be trying the FROMM Gold, I actually went to like 4 stores looking for it but had no luck. I guess there are no local vendors near me
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Fromm Gold Adult Large Breed and Fromm Four Star Salmon A La Veg
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Taste of the Wild.  My Golden had dandruff issues and my Weim mix has really sensitive guts -- Taste of the Wild is the first food we found that makes them both happy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Annamaet (extra protein).  It's actually a local company that was started so the owner can monitor what he feeds his sled dogs.  Everything is sourced from North America.  Don't know if they were just blowing smoke, but they had said that the secret service uses their food for the k9 agents.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top