Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2016 1:58:53 AM EDT
Hi all.  My wife and I rescued a young puppy a few months ago.  Penelope ("Penny") is our pit Charlotte's new baby sister.  In the pics below, she is the brown and white cutie.  

According to our vet, she was between 9 and 11 weeks old when we adopted her, and she is now about 24 weeks.  The pictures are from that time frame.  She has spots all over, particularly on her belly, brown eyes, very fair pink skin, and the "moles" on the side of her face like our pit does.  She very rarely barks, only when she wants Charlotte to chase her.  She is excellent with people and other dogs.  She is extremely bright and high energy, but is also a huge cuddler and can spend hours laying next to us on the couch.  She is a digger, which I know is not necessarily a breed trait, but I have read that labs in particular like to dig.  Her snout is not as squarish as Charlotte's, its more long and sleek, but the black/brown/white dog in the pic with the three dogs looking in the same direction (at the Thanksgiving turkey....) is a pit mix with a longish snout.  Charlotte's pit head it like a cannonball, Penny's not so much.  She has long legs and big feet.

The vet believes she is an Australian shepherd mix.  The lady we got her from (she runs a rescue from her home and sees thousands of dogs) believes she is a pit mix.  A friend of ours sees Jack Russel in her.  She's 27lbs now, and the vet thinks she will reach 40-50lbs when fully grown.  

We have no idea what breed or mix she is, so opinions are welcome!!!  Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Awww, she's adorable, OP.

Try a cheapie online doggie DNA test site? It should run you less than $100 (mine was $80 or so). You would spend that and more in toys, treats, laundry, wall and carpet cleaners, replacing damaged household items, and vet bills over the next few years anyway, might as well give your guesses a marginal bit more probability!

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:09:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Those aren't dogs,those are canine Americans.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:19:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say pit-aussie could be a possible conclusion.

Whatever she is, she looks super sweet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
We may try the online DNA thing, but I've seen mixed reviews.  Will probably go that route at some point, though.

I told my family that they are dogs and need to be treated as such, not treated like people, since that will largely confuse them.  I lost that battle right away.  When my wife is home they have the run of the house, and when the kids are out of the house, our "fur babies" are my wife's answer to an empty nest.  They are good dogs, both very sweet and loving, neither are barkers or aggressive in any way.  

Charlotte, the 55lb pit, thinks she is a lap dog, which is quite entertaining.  She grunts and burps and snores and passes gas like a teenager, loafs around the house like a college roommate who won't pay rent but sits on your couch and eats your food, has the most hilarious facial expressions, and is the most evenly tempered dog I have ever seen.  If she bothers to get up from her bed when we get home from work, we consider ourselves blessed.  Mostly she can't be bothered unless we are in the kitchen or are in a position where she can cuddle.  

Penny is a little ball of fire and we got her largely as a companion for Char since my wife and I both work.  Char has already lost a few pounds just trying to keep up with Penny and her playful moods.  Penny is a big sweetheart and follows us around like, well, a puppy.  She jumps around like a jackrabbit when we get home.  She loves to watch TV, loves to watch my mouse pointer move across the screen on my laptop when she is sitting next to me, and loves to chase a red laser pointer dot around the floor.  The combination of Penny vs the vacuum cleaner will provide hours of entertainment as she works through whether she should be afraid of it or play with it.  I believe she must be part cat.

They love to be walked, we take them hiking, they run around outside like crazy... But nothing seems to please them more than snuggling up alongside a human on the couch or love seat.  When the kids are home, neither dog will let them out of her sight.  Best dogs I've ever had.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I see Jack Russell in penny's face... Very cute pup!
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]
mutt
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I think Australian Cattle Dog may be the mix. I could see ACD and some variety of pit mixing giving those features that admittedly look Jack Russle-ish. Maybe it was a Jack Russel/ACD mix that bred with a APBT.

Regardless, you got some great looking dogs!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:11:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Face and coloring look a LOT like my brother's American Pit Bull Terrier.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe a mix.  If you said all pit I'd believe it.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Very well could be all APBT. Google "colby line" APBT and tell me what you think. They don't all have massive square heads.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#11]
great looking dog.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top