Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/24/2016 2:06:48 AM EDT
I recently lost my Walker mix, and am wanting another hound of some verity. After some reading I am pretty sure that I want to find a Bloodhound pup, and am looking for some first hand experiences with this breed.

As I understand it, joint issues are the primary health concerns, with sensitive stomachs being another possibility.

Having had a Walker Coonhound mix I'm sure I'll be fine with the one track mindedness ruled by their nose, but are there any other real downsides to the breed? It will primarily be a indoor pet, but I have access to roughly 4 acres of wood, 8 acres of field, several bike trails and 2 local dog parks that it would be able to stretch it's legs in.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently lost my Walker mix, and am wanting another hound of some verity. After some reading I am pretty sure that I want to find a Bloodhound pup, and am looking for some first hand experiences with this breed.

As I understand it, joint issues are the primary health concerns, with sensitive stomachs being another possibility.

Having had a Walker Coonhound mix I'm sure I'll be fine with the one track mindedness ruled by their nose, but are there any other real downsides to the breed? It will primarily be a indoor pet, but I have access to roughly 4 acres of wood, 8 acres of field, several bike trails and 2 local dog parks that it would be able to stretch it's legs in.
View Quote

We had a red.

We had no health issues, but that was the MOST rambunctious dog we have ever owned.  I thought lab pups held this honor, but no.  You mentioned primarily an indoor pet?  We tried.  Living in AK, dogs become indoor pets.  Bloodhounds need LOTS of physical activity.  I have some really crazy stories from our bloodhound experiences.

We have owned several big dogs, and there is nothing more adorable than a bloodhound pup, but never again will we own one.  I want a bluetick in the worst way, too, so it saddens me.

I have a 200 pound mastiff that has been a lot less of a headache.

Not knocking bloodhounds a bit, they are awesome, but damn, they are a lot of work!

Good luck
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top