Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/4/2016 1:35:15 PM EDT
German Shepherd. Oh boy here we go, hopefully not a Fistula

Caught him licking his butt a few times over the past day, lifted up his tail and it looks like a baboon's ass. Poor little guy, earliest vet can see him is Wednesday morning.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If they're just swollen, you can try to express them yourself. It's not difficult. But it smells unholy.

From the sound of it, they might be impacted/infected. If they're that bad they'll probably need to be lanced or removed.

Add a couple scoops of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food. The extra fiber should help him naturally express them in the future.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
He poops like a champ, doesn't have loose stools either shouldn't that express them naturally? Not disagreeing with you just surprised if that is the case. For now it is just swollen and not red, hopefully I can get him taken care of before it gets any worse.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe he is a she and in heat...LMAO sorry I could not resist...I have a Great Dane....you havent seen anything yet...LOL
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I used to have to express the glands on my Great Danes just about every couple of weeks.   Glove up, grab the tail and pull it up and out of the way, put your index finger and thumb on the lowest part of the glands and gently push up/in and squeeze a little.  Should squirt out some foul smelling brown liquid.  Use a baby wipe to clean up dogs rear.  May still smell bad after you wipe it, I used to get some odor spray from the pet store to spray around in his legs and rear.

Obviously, do this outside
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He poops like a champ, doesn't have loose stools either shouldn't that express them naturally? Not disagreeing with you just surprised if that is the case. For now it is just swollen and not red, hopefully I can get him taken care of before it gets any worse.
View Quote

All dogs are different. Our female GSD's stool is like a rock, I never see her express them. Our male GSD can have soft stool but he sprays out the anal gland secretions. It's pretty gross. Knock on wood neither have had issues.

It sounds like yours may just be sensitive. After you get this resolved, I'd try the pumpkin first. Otherwise the vet will be up selling you on some high fiber prescription diet for $90/bag.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
We use pumpkin for our Dane too
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All dogs are different. Our female GSD's stool is like a rock, I never see her express them. Our male GSD can have soft stool but he sprays out the anal gland secretions. It's pretty gross. Knock on wood neither have had issues.

It sounds like yours may just be sensitive. After you get this resolved, I'd try the pumpkin first. Otherwise the vet will be up selling you on some high fiber prescription diet for $90/bag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Already doing $60 for 24 lbs.. what's 90?

He glanded when they drew his blood for heartworm preventative shots a few months back... boy that smelled horrible
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He glanded when they drew his blood for heartworm preventative shots a few months back... boy that smelled horrible
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea we are close to that for our male. He's on some hydrolized protein diet after some weird issues last year.

What are you feeding him?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Large Breed Puppy...phew that's a long name lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Got an appointment today and had his anal glands expressed. They didn't look full by just lifting up his tail but the vet said that upon further inspection they were full lol. Also paid to have him chipped, he had a hell of a birthday today

From this:

To this:

In less than a year
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
GSD's seem particularly prone to overactive anal glands and perianal fistula (PAF). My poor guy has been struggling with these issues for about three years now. He developed PAF and was bleeding really badly.
I was lucky to have a very good veterinary hospital with a doc who was familiar with this condition. cyclosporin cleared this up very effectively but he is going to be on it for the rest of his life. He is on a fairly low dose now but the stuff is expensive. I use baby wipes and Tuck's pads on his butt pretty regularly... he doesn't like having his butt touched - I leave the expressing part to the professionals...
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]
aww poor guy, that sucks. Hopefully that isn't the case with Otto. He had his glands expressed and is back to normal now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in the same boat, my 7 yr. old GSD is putting off some kind of odor. Time to take him and get them expressed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#14]
This is the first I've ever read about 'anal glands' and 'expressing the anal glands'...

mother of god
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:28:43 AM EDT
[#15]
low dose prednisone and antibiotics have been part of my dogs diet for years. he got to the point he couldn't shit and you

could tell it was hurting him.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:33:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Nope and nope. Glad my blue eyed boxer mix (Was told she's a bull boxer) doesn't seem to have any issues like this, not sure what I would do if she did,

But I'm not fingering her ass hole!
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If they're just swollen, you can try to express them yourself. It's not difficult. But it smells unholy.

From the sound of it, they might be impacted/infected. If they're that bad they'll probably need to be lanced or removed.

Add a couple scoops of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food. The extra fiber should help him naturally express them in the future.
View Quote

This, I have a Boston Terrier with the same problem. Once we added the canned pumpkin in to his diet, it seemed to help quite a bit. I still take him to a groomer who charges me $5 to have it pushed out completely. It is one of the worst smells there is so do not let it get on anything you want to keep in the house
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Never owned a dog, whats express ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, I used to have to express the glands on my Great Danes just about every couple of weeks.   Glove up, grab the tail and pull it up and out of the way, put your index finger and thumb on the lowest part of the glands and gently push up/in and squeeze a little.  Should squirt out some foul smelling brown liquid.  Use a baby wipe to clean up dogs rear.  May still smell bad after you wipe it, I used to get some odor spray from the pet store to spray around in his legs and rear.

Obviously, do this outside
View Quote

My dog leaked on the couch, thank GOD we had a towel on it. Holy shit, I could never hope to make a smell so foul... maggots in the next zip code were gagging!
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Squeeze it till the goo comes out.

My dalmation had to have his expressed or they'd get swollen/infected, I found it easiest to do in the tub during bath time. If the dog is funny with your hands back there (I know I would be), have someone spray their head with the warm water while you do it...distracts them pretty good and when you're done you're in the right place for cleanup duty.

The liquid that comes out is a musky, oily stuff and it can range from skunky smelling to "holy fuck this is the ball sweat of Sauron" funk.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My dalmation had to have his expressed or they'd get swollen/infected, I found it easiest to do in the tub during bath time. If the dog is funny with your hands back there (I know I would be), have someone spray their head with the warm water while you do it...distracts them pretty good and when you're done you're in the right place for cleanup duty.

The liquid that comes out is a musky, oily stuff and it can range from skunky smelling to "holy fuck this is the ball sweat of Sauron" funk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't believe we are discussing this... My dog's glands smell like a pile of rotting carp under the Saharan sun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can't believe we are discussing this... My dog's glands smell like a pile of rotting carp under the Saharan sun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took my parent's dog to the vet once for an ulcer in her eye.  It apparently was quite painful and she got upset on the table at the two guys attempting to control her and she expressed that stuff all over the wall.

The room cleared.  Seriously.  I've never seen two grown men go scurrying from a room so quickly in my entire life.  One of the guys was gagging.  LOL
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't Petsmart do this for like $20?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

My vet does it as part of the grooming process. $25 for a bath, nail trim and sack cleaning. Worth every penny!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My vet does it as part of the grooming process. $25 for a bath, nail trim and sack cleaning. Worth every penny!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without a doubt. Can they do it in a preventative fashion or do they have to wait for it to be a problem before doing it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Without a doubt. Can they do it in a preventative fashion or do they have to wait for it to be a problem before doing it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dog needs it done at least once a month or he can get some major leakage on the furniture. Problem is I don't always have the time to get him to the groomer every month with my schedule. I'm going to put the wife unit on groomer duty to make sure it gets done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I think I was doing it every month or so with my Danes.  After you have done it a few times you can lift up their tails and tell if it needs to be done.

Or, you can just wait until the dog does the scoots on the rug and hope it does not come out all over the carpet
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#28]
We lost our beloved Cody to an aggressive anal gland tumor last year.  Initially we thought his glands were impacted.  It was the tumor though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think I was doing it every month or so with my Danes.  After you have done it a few times you can lift up their tails and tell if it needs to be done.

Or, you can just wait until the dog does the scoots on the rug and hope it does not come out all over the carpet
View Quote

or smell that rotten fish heads smell
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top