Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/3/2016 3:22:30 PM EDT
My boy has been wanting a dog for a long time so I finally decided to give in to him. I do believe that he will take care of it, but it will be a family dog as well. He has his heart set on a GSD, but my wife is against it because she wants something that is friendly to guests/family that may come over. I am looking for help in finding a reliable place to find him one. I am also open to other breeds of dogs since his mom isn't on board with a GSD yet.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Shepard's can be very friendly, it's all in how you raise them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay away from breeders who can't spell "Shepherd" correctly; there are lots of them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
shepherds can be plenty friendly. Mine couldn't guard the house for shit...

They're super energetic though, and can become destructive if they get bored.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Shepherds can be very friendly with strangers and guests, or sometimes not so friendly with strangers and guests. Much of this is in training, though breeding plays a part as well. An important thing to consider before bringing a dog into the home is that everyone should be on board with the decision, most especially the adults of the family.

What, exactly, is it that your son fancies about the German Shepherd in specific? If it is the appearance, there are a few other breeds that have a similar (not exactly the same, mind you) appearance, but much less tendency to be protective.

The Leonberger is a gentle giant known for having the temperament of a golden retriever in a plus size body. They are extremely good family companions that do not require a ton of exercise, but they do need regular grooming. Since they are a giant breed, they come with larger expenses and a potentially shortened lifespan, although of the giant breeds, Leonbergers tend to average longer than most with 9 years being common and 11-12 not unheard of.

Keeshonds are generally happy go lucky family dogs. They are very intelligent and affectionate with children, and usually get along well with people and dogs of all shapes and sizes. They sort of look like a cross between a Pomeranian and a German Shepherd, and they weigh 35-45 lbs (although their fur makes them look larger). Though they do bark an alert when strangers come to call, but it's more of a greeting than a warning. Due to their high level of intelligence, they are very trainable and have been used as therapy and comfort dogs. They bond very closely to their people. Harsh training methods are to be avoided, as it can break their spirit.

Norwegian Elkhounds are a very active breed of dog with a tendency to get fat if overfed and underexercised. They are intelligent, but independent thinkers who can be headstrong. Immediate, unquestioning obedience probably won't happen with these dogs. They make good companions for older, active children, but can be too boisterous for little ones. Not typically aggressive with people, their appearance more than anything acts as a deterrent. They're around 50 lbs.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's something to be aware of with GSDs.  The American Show Lines and British Show Lines have been absolutely bred to ruination. Been bred to have a beautiful 'flying trot' in the show ring for 5 minutes, but for real running, their structure is ruined.  Also been bred with little regard for hip dysplasia, and little regard for 'brains'.  You can find good breeders who have been breeding GSDs as pets for generations, and actually a lot of 'casual breeders' or 'oops breeders' can have some pretty good dogs, but to be honest those screwed up show lines have had their poor genetics pollute a lot of non-show GSDs.

There is another side to the GSD story...dogs bred for police work and for sports like schutzhund.  This is careful breeders breeding for actual work plus importation of army/police dogs from East Germany and Czechoslovakia after the collapse of communism.  Structurally wonderful dogs, for the most part good brains. However many have a lot more energy than your average family can handle.

Right now, while there are a lot of great GSDs, I'd encourage you to look with great care as you look for GSDs, and to also consider other breeds.

From the post above me, I absolutely agree with the Keeshond and Leonberger being great family dogs.  Labs too, and golden retrievers should be on your list to look at.  I'd add Australian Cattle Dog too (blue heeler), Australian Shepherd (not australian at all...American!) and English Shepherd (not English at all...American!)

English Shepherd and Australian Shepherd are really American Working Farm Collie, Midwest/Eastern and American Working Farm Collie West/Southwestern

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses. Ever since he watched the movie Max, he has wanted a GSD. I have explained to him that it will require a lot of training and exercise ( year round). The wife is now on board for a GSD as well. I myself am looking for a shepherd more for protective purposes. I feel that we have plenty of room for it to play, we live in the middle of a woods. Only concern is some neighbor dogs that occasionally roam through from time to time. Will this be a problem? What are thoughts on electric fences? Or should it be trained to stay within the boundaries?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Max was not a German Shepherd.

He was a Belgian Malinois.

I just picked up a sable GSD puppy.  His parents are both imports from romania.

Be prepared for a lot of work. He will destroy everything you give him or he gets a hold of.

The other day he was walking around with his new 50 dollar bed on his head. He tore a hole in it and took out all the stuffing then got his head stuck in the small whole he gnawed through.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Max was not a German Shepherd.

He was a Belgian Malinois.

I just picked up a sable GSD puppy.  His parents are both imports from romania.

Be prepared for a lot of work. He will destroy everything you give him or he gets a hold of.

The other day he was walking around with his new 50 dollar bed on his head. He tore a hole in it and took out all the stuffing then got his head stuck in the small whole he gnawed through.

View Quote

Puppy stage is best stage
You don't want a Max. Malinois are a very different animal. You definitely want a pet GSD not working line. Also stay away from "show line" dogs as they can be more prone to health issues.

ETA my Mal only eats beds I put in her crate. She doesn't use the crate unless we travel but I have resigned myself to using old blankets and expecting to throw them away every other trip.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The best dog I ever had was a cross between choc lab / english mastiff.

Mastador, fearless, friendly, smart smart smart.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#10]
GSD are very energetic, need LOTS of activity, and are very good family dogs.
See?  We have two.  :)

They couldn't be more different from each other.  They're 7 month old brothers from the same litter, but Klaus is the more laid back guard dog type, and Ruger is the playful, goofy lap dog type.  They haven't really chewed anything they're not supposed to yet except some shoes and a little of the trim on the staircase.  We give them tons of toys, beef bones, antlers, balls, etc. so if they're ever doing something they're not supposed to we present them with other choices.  THAT'S the key.

They need lots of outdoor time... walks, runs in the park, etc. Right now they're both enrolled in Beginner Agility Training just to give them, and us, something to do during the long Winter months.  I've had lots of dogs, but none as smart as a GSD.  Once you imprint something in them, it's there forever.  They learn something in seconds, but everyone in your family has to be 100% consistent with whatever reward system you decide on.
As far as being a family dog, why not?  Remember to SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE as much as possible.  We take them everywhere they're allowed to go.  Klaus hates riding in vehicles...gets sick easy.  But Ruger will hop in no prob.  Klaus takes longer to warm up to other dogs, but neither of them has ever had problems with people.  I didn't expect them to.  Socialize.  We're raising them with lots of touching... what I mean is, since they were 7 weeks old we touch their feet, tails, ears, snouts, etc. to get them used to it.  That's how you learn YOUR dog.  I do all the grooming...baths (which they hate) and nail trimming (which they hate), but I do it on THEIR terms.

Granted they're a dominant breed, so you have to take that into account.  But as far as a family dog?  Hell yes...go for it.

You want a protector?  None better.  Home security at it's finest.  Want your face lick washed at 5AM?  None better.

EDIT:

I've been trying to come up with some negatives to owning a GSD.  The only thing that really comes to mind is the digging.  Our yard looks like Omaha Beach on D-Day.  They dig... a lot.  I just keep filling the holes in and putting their crap in them to deter them.  Worked with our last dog... not so much with these guys.  If they want something, they'll dig for it.

Other negatives?  I can't think of any.  Except that now I'm going to have to replace our chainlink fences with 6' fence of some type.  I'm afraid one of them will hop over the typical 4' chain link.  

And there are health issues to take into account.  We treat one for bad hips already, and the other scratches himself a lot.  Some type of skin issue.  It's manageable.  The hip thing worries me though.  He's just a puppy.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally decided on a working line from a breeder close to the Illinois / Wisconsin border. We drove up and picked her up Sunday morning. All I know is I don't think I have ever seen my boy so happy.

" />

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
You realize more pics are required right?  If it's not a rule it should be
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I will try to get more up later. They are all gone now, showing her off. She is already sitting, staying, and going to her crate when she is tired.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn cute puppy!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]
" />

One more pic.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top